Lost weight first week but have gained since...now trying Pruvit

(stacey stegall) #1

I’m in week 4. Lost 7pounds first week, gained .8 second week, then .5 3rd week. Blood ketone readings are going up (I measure once a week- .5, 1.4, 1.6). Have recently been given lots of pruvit powder mixes and have started those this week. I drink 2 a day and have made some fat bombs with them (pruvit packet mixed with HWC and then freeze) Have noticed a decrease in hunger. Anyone have any success with these? Just want to see the scale start moving in the right direction again!

Have you been tracking your meals with an app?
Too many fat bombs with really get the scale moving in the wrong direction

(Katie) #3

Each time my weight stalls…I fast for 48-72 hours to get it moving again.

But…first, make sure you eating enough in that final meal…enough fat I mean. It is the fat that will keep you satisfied for the long haul.

Are you eating one meal a day? If not, you could try that. For myself…I was insulin resistant…maybe even border line T2D Losing weight was hard because my insulin levels were too high all the time. Fasting was the thing that helped to bring those levels down. Each time you eat your insulin levels go up…you cannot burn fat with insulin in your blood…so limit the number of times you eat each day, and try longer term fasting.

(Karen) #4

:arrow_up::arrow_up::arrow_up:This!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Four weeks in may be a bit too soon to try fasting, since it will be a lot easier if you are fat-adapted first (a state where your muscles are metabolising fatty acids in preference to glucose; surprisingly, they do better on fatty acids than on ketone bodies). The key component to this way of eating is to keep your carbohydrate intake low. If you are not seeing results, it may be that you are too insulin-resistant and need to lower your maximum carb intake even below the 20 grams a day we recommend on these forums. The idea is to get your insulin level low enough to stop damaging your system and stop trapping fat in your fat cells.

The other part of this way of eating is to get enough calories. Your body will not part with its fat reserve if it thinks there is a famine going on. The way to convince it there is no famine is to give it lots of energy. It will then be free to set your appetite at the right level to use both the fat you eat and the fat you have in storage for energy. We do this by eating when hungry, stopping once we are no longer hungry, and not eating again until we are hungry again. This is very contrary to the standard advice to “eat less and move more,” which we know doesn’t work very well for most of us.

The reason we fill up on fat is that fat has almost no effect on stimulating insulin secretion, so it is a safe source of calories to eat. If you eat to satiety, your body will reward you by ramping up your metabolism and shedding any excess fat you may happen to have lying around in your fat tissue.

(stacey stegall) #6

yes i track with my fitness pal

(stacey stegall) #7

Thanks for the tips - I have done IF but cant right now as I’m on antibiotics for a tooth infection, but as soon as I’m done with them I will do IF again. I liked the 18:6 model. I do have a hard time fitting in enough fat - which is where I would use the fat bombs to compensate. Some of the fat staples like avocado, mayo, sour cream I really don’t like, so I was using HWC in the fat bombs to hopefully get some of that benefit.

(Charlotte) #8

I apologize for the length of this reply, sorry its so long. I just want to help.

There are a ton of reasons why you would gain a little here and there. Stop weighing if you are finding the ups and downs of weight loss stressful. Micromanaging your journey can also be counterproductive if your finding keto stressful.

Weight loss is NOT linear and scales lie. Scales are not 100% accurate. Most scales have a +/- 2-5lb deviation. I know through experience mine specifically has a +0.6lb deviation. Without knowing more of your stats and what you eat its hard to know what tips can help you. The usual is to make sure you weigh yourself at the same time every day under the same conditions (ie: in the morning, after you wake up and tinkle, naked or in undies, before breakfast). Even then weight fluctuates constantly. I myself weigh almost daily but the ups and downs don’t bother me at all because my overall trend is down. The best way to tell if your losing fat is by how your clothes fit.

General tips w/o knowing what your stats and regimen is:

1. Make sure you’re getting enough calories
  2. Watch out for artificial sweeteners they could be giving you an insulin response.
  3. Make sure you’re hydrating
  4. Stay as close 20g total carbs or less best you can
  5. Don’t snack
  6. Try eating real food instead of fat bombs, they could be adding to your trouble
  7. The slight gains could have to do with your monthly cycle or menopause depending on your age.
  8. Keep stress down the best you can. Stress is not your friend. Stress causes cortisol production which will inhibit your progress. I myself have between 1-3 hours of “quiet time” every day to mediate, read, or just lay quietly to give myself some time to be calm. It’s a time where I shut everything off and don’t do anything and don’t talk to anyone to give my brain a rest. It has actually helped improve my progress. I used to think mediation was a crock until I actually started doing it and seeing a boost in my progress. I swear by it now. After a few months, I get really cranky when something interrupts my quiet time or causes me to not get my quiet time at all.
  9. Your body will let go of the fat when its ready, in its own time and not always when you want it to. I think of my body as its own separate person, with a mind of its own, and with a personality of its own. It helps me remove some of the emotional component of my weight loss journey. I think of it as a stubborn toddler and treat it that way.

It’s difficult, but keto demands patience. Your body is going through big changes and it takes time for it to adjust to the changing hormones, cellular growth, and to utilizing its new food source.

Everyone is different and react to things differently. Take me for example… when I started keto I was 247lbs, 5’7, 37 years old, premenopausal. My first month I lost 22 lbs and each month after that my losses average 4-8lbs a month. My older sister started keto after me and she was 310lbs, 5’5, 51 years old, menopausal and in her first month she lost 12 lbs and averages a loss of 8-12lbs a month. We have the same sources of genes, but we react to keto differently. I have more of my dad’s traits while she has more of our mom’s. I had big initial loss with smaller monthly progress, but she had a smaller initial loss and bigger monthly results.

Keto takes experimenting to find that right combination of foods and in the right amounts to achieve your optimal progress and figuring out those foods that you should eliminate because your body doesn’t like them. I myself can’t eat over 65g protein or else my progress slows a lot. I can also use artificial sweeteners without it giving me any trouble or slowing my progress down because it doesn’t trigger an insulin response for me. My sister can’t eat cheese because it doesn’t agree with her but I can eat up to 2oz a day. It all takes experimenting. Try different amounts of different types of food to see how it impacts you. It took me 5 months of experimenting to figure out what works for my body and what didn’t and the limits I can have of certain things.

If you use macros remember they are only a guide to get you started, they are not law because a calculator can’t tell what your own individual needs are. Weight loss in the beginning is your water retention, and your ketones are going up which is good. You’re getting a good start even though it may not feel like it, but again without knowing more about you and what your eating and how much its hard to give more specific advice on how to improve your results. Once your fat adapted in the next couple weeks there are things will change.

I also personally opt to stay away from products marketed specifically for keto so I’ve never tried Pruvit. I try to stick with real food, made by me so I know exactly what I’m eating and how much.

(Charlotte) #9

I started out using MFP, but found that Cronometer seems to be more accurate. I would recommend switching it up and seeing how the two differ in your intake calculations. For me, I found that MFP under calculated my total carb count. I also use kitchen scale to measure my food for the most accurate logging of my food.

(stacey stegall) #10

Thanks so much - I understand its a journey for sure and I’m excited about it overall. I’ve done low carb/keto before and lost 30 pounds in 8 months. I’m ok with that as long as the other benefits come thru. I know this is a better way to eat and I’m excited to not be controlled by food any more. Thanks so much for the information! I’m sticking with it for sure (although the scale victories would be nice haha)

(Charlotte) #11

Keto has been crazy beneficial for me. I used to be hypertensive (135/90) and after just a few months my BP dropped to 104/70 which is better than when I was a lean teenager! At first I thought it was a fluke, but it has been steady for the last 6 months which astounds me still. I’m not prediabetic anymore, a1c was 5.8 and dropped to 5.0 in just the first 3 months. I haven’t had it checked recently which I should. I’m not anemic anymore. I’m off all my meds except my sleeping pills. I don’t have mood swings anymore, I’m less stressed, which in turn has increased my overall happiness. I hope you feel a surge of optimism when you see the results inside and out that you’re looking for. I say “when” and not “if” because if you stick with it, you will see it. You just gotta be patient.

You got this!

(stacey stegall) #12

I just downloaded cronometer and wow its sooooo detailed. I could so geek out over this. I love it. I upgraded to Gold for the food suggestions.

And I’m so looking forward to the stress management part. I have a very intense job (I wish MENTAL exercise counted as PHYSICAL exercise). Sleeping better would also be a HUGE plus!

(PSackmann) #13

Hi Stacey, you’ve received a lot of good responses here. As others have said, weight loss isn’t linear and we’re all individuals. One of the things I’d look at is the Pruvit. Looking at the nutrition label, each packet is 6 grams of carbs with 4 of those being sugar alcohols. Not everyone reacts the same way to sugar alcohols so, if you’re consuming these throughout the day, you may be taking in more carbohydrate than you think. Especially as there are some unexplained calories there, 45 calories with 6 grams of carbohydrate (24 calories) and all other macros listed as 0 leaves 21 calories of unidentified “stuff”. Maybe try a week without the pruvit to see if that has any effect?
You’ve got this, KCKO!

(Marianne) #14

Yes, yes, and yes. I don’t weigh myself and don’t want to. Only time I get a weight is when I go to the doctor’s - if you must know, weigh yourself once a month. The scale can be a horrible thing and can really be discouraging, especially if you aren’t losing as much as you think you should, or you lost it very quickly in the beginning and then slowed.

If you have the time, read up here and ask questions until you get a good sense of the basics. Don’t obsess about weight loss, just eat and live. Time passes quickly and you will lose weight. Eat real, whole food in its natural state - or cook with real ingredients. Play around with different foods until you find a good variety of things to eat that you can keep cycling. I’d stay away from powders and fat bombs.

(Marianne) #15

Yay!

:partying_face:

(Bunny) #16

That’s where the “…but the long-term effects are unknown…” comes in? Lol

I mean you have to triple the dose every three hours just to maintain ketosis? Lol

I would not even take it to transition into ketosis!

Apple Cider Vinegar is like maybe a dollar or two…lol

Coconut oil?

Resistant Starch?

All do the exact same thing so why would you want to buy ketone esters or salts? What a rip off lol

:slightly_smiling_face::joy::rofl::joy::slightly_smiling_face::rofl::joy::rofl::slightly_smiling_face::rofl:

(stacey stegall) #17

I didn’t buy any of them. They were given to me, just trying different things until I figure all of this out!

(Bunny) #18

Oh!