Lost in Ketogenic Diet

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #1

Hello

I decided going for this Ketogenic diet
I’m on my second day and I feel quite lost!!!

I am currently in a country that knows nothing about Keto diet, so I am doing everything on my own and from online forums.

What I understood is that I should have 75% fats and 20% Protien and 5% carbs

But how much food quantities shall I have?

If I follow the below meal plan, would that be a correct Ketogenic plan?

Breakfast:
2 scrambled or omelette eggs with 1 tablespoon butter and 1 slice on cheddar cheese

Lunch: 100 g of canned tuna in oil (shall I drain the oil or keep it)
The can says 200g and net after drained 70% of the total weight.
So I was thinking of doing the whole can and adding some veggies then splitting it for lunch and dinner

And what’s the best iPhone app to download?
I found Carb manager and KetoDiet
Which one is better?

I would appreciate any help

Canned tuna - tip out the oil!

Look at your carbs, then your protein, the rest of your diet should be fat.

Try to stay under 20 grams of carbs a day (some do net carbs, some do total). Protein should be 1 gram per kilo of either lean body mass or ideal weight (there is debate). Then the rest of your food should be fat until you are 80% satisfied. If you like oily tuna, keep the oil, I personally prefer mayo.

In terms of fats, try to get them from meat, dairy, virgin coconut oil, avocado oil, butter, ghee, olive oil (be careful, do not overcook, it has a low smoke point). Avoid seed oils such as corn, canola and sunflower oil as it is unstable and easily becomes rancid.

If possible do not snack (triggers insulin). I only eat two meals a day in an 8 hour window

(KCKO, KCFO) #3

Be sure to read this forum posting, it will help you find the right path:

As for apps, I just use Myfitnesspal because I am a long time user of it. Cronometer is used by many because it tracks micronutrients, electrolytes, glucose, ketones, etc. And yes net carbs. It also breaks down fats and proteins into specific types. If I didn’t have so much info in MFP, I’d probably use it too.

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #4

Thanks a lot Saphire

But bare with me and deal with me as a total idiot LOL

So what I understood is that for example if I eat one can of tuna that is 200g in total with the oil, and supposedly have 70% net tuna without the oil,
am I exceeding my protien intake with just one tuna can per day?
I downloaded Carb manager and added that tuna can, 1 boiled egg, 4 tbsp parmesan, 1 tbsp mayo instead of the tuna oil, 2 cups of lettuce, 1 tbsp chopped onions and I added my coffee with 2 tsp of coconut cream.
It all summed up to
Fats 50g of 86g
Protien 75g of 77g
Carbs 8g of 37g

The app decided I need these amounts according to my weight, height and activity
Fats 86g. Protien 77g. Carbs 37g
Shall I follow that? And still loose weight?
And are these apps accurate? I already paid for a 2 year subscription

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #5

I had my fitness pal but I just downloaded that Carb manager, are these apps accurate and shall I rely on them?

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #6

And how much did you ladies loose with ketogenic diet in how long?

Thank you @collaroygal, you answered something that I have been wondering about. I did Cronometer before Keto and wondered if I should switch to MFP but I love the micronutriets on Cronometer when I track (which is not very often). Plus every time I look at MFP it seems complicated

If you sign up on Cronometer through Mercola they give you additional micronutriet information free

(KCKO, KCFO) #8

I was at 170 last July, I switched to keto induction, then kept carbs under 50 g total, stalled out after end of Dec. finally in March started reading up on fasting, started doing IFing mid March and then in April added extended fasting. I reached my goal weight and dropped a few extras as well by the 27th of April. Fasting was the missing link for me, even doing LCHF/keto meals. So I averaged 3.7 lbs per month, but three of those months, I lost nothing at all. I just kept calm and you know the rest :slight_smile:

I have always been a slow loser, so this seemed fast to me. Formerly on WW, it took me a year to lose just 30 lbs. This time it was 34lbs. in 9 months. The big drop (24 lbs.) occurred when I started fasting protocols, jsut short of two months later I was under my original goal weight number and I am staying under using IF and a few extended fasts here and there.

I had to overcome my programming of fats are bad, carbs are great, take it off slowly or it all comes back (I had pretty much proven this to myself over and over with higher carb diets, (even during my zone diet (40% carb/30p/30f periods, I’d lose and regain it quickly).

Wishing you the best in your weight loss efforts.

Anyone near their ideal weight?

I really do not use an app and do not track except to check to make sure there is not some major micronutrient group I am missing. I do not use MFP so cannot say if it is accurate or not. Most apps are not designed for a keto diet in my experience.

I have no idea if 75g of protein is too much. Take your ideal weight in kilos, you eat 1 gram of protein per kilo of ideal body weight per day (that is the more generous one, LBW would be lower). Some people do .8 and others do 1.5 grams, especially athletes. So if your ideal weight was 75 kilos, then 75 grams of protein per day would be ideal.

The grams of protein are on the label of most US supermarket items, no idea about other countries. If you are 10 grams over or under I do not think it is a big deal but I do not track closely.

I have been doing 24 and 36 hour fast since March and keto since mid April. I have lost 34 lbs total. I started doing some extended fasts (up to 6 days) in May, June and July. None recently although I still

(Sjur Gjøstein Karevoll) #10

Protein seems to be very individual. The recommendation of 1-1.5g per kg lean body mass is a starting point, but you can go higher or lower depending on how it affects you.

It’s not something you should worry too much about getting started. Just eat the protein you want and as long as you also eat a lot of fat you’re not eating too much. I think jumping in the deep end is the best way to start keto, but when you do it’s more important to not drown before you worry about swimming.

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #11

I like the simple idea of 1g per kg it will make calculations easier for me
As for Cronometer and MFP I have no idea what you’re talking about :see_no_evil:

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #12

Thank you all
I’m only in day 1 because I totally messed up yesterday as I understood the whole diet wrong

So starting again from scratch today
I will keep you posted of my weight loss :smile:

or My Fitness Pal

Both are sites where you track your food and exercise

(Khara) #14

I use Carb Manager and like it pretty well. I’ve had it for two years and so have built up quite a history of favorite foods as well as recipes. I recently re-looked in the App Store for possible food logging apps and have to say that Cronometer looks really nice. If I were purchasing one today, it’s possible Cronometer would’ve won my vote but I started with Carb Manager and don’t want to lose my history and I’m pretty pleased with it and think it works fairly well. I have checked the accuracy of some of the foods via internet search and they seem to be right on.

Your suggested carb amount of 38 grams may be too high. I’d shoot for 20 grams NET. And let your fat be a bit higher. Most of all though, especially early on while you are learning, don’t fret about hitting your macros exactly. Just keep your carbs low. Have a nice protein with each meal. Add fats like butter to veggies. Don’t go hungry. And learn as you go. Best wishes.

Cronometer is (opinion) the best tracker out there. Has the most extensive food lists, the most customizable settings, it can be set to ketogenic OR you can customize your intake for EVERYTHING, Macros, Micros, add in others that it doesn’t track you name it. The free version of cronometer gives you more options than the paid version of my fitness pal.

I’ve never been big on tracking for weight loss as I’ve been eating this way forever and like many was a convert from Atkins but have recently started tracking to really get my protein and micronutrients dialed in as I’m focusing on muscle building and gut health now and it’s pretty impressive when you see what your really eating (or not). Only downside is the app is only for paid members but the website does have a descent mobile version.

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #16

Ohh I see
I’m using Carb manager and so far I think it’s similar my pal fitness but Keto style

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #17

Yeah I guess I’m in love with Carb manager so far

The 38g of carbs looks too high to me as well
But I don’t really go for it

Yesterday i had
8g of Carbs
50g of Fats
75g Protien

Today i had
23g of Carbs
85g of Fats
59g of Protien

Im not sure which option is better, but I keep adding food and checking that pie chart LOL until the menu looks interesting to me, about feeling hungry, I starved myself this morning and just had coffee and saved myself a good meal for lunch.
So mist probably I will be skipping a meal and just have just a couple of meals a day. I was thinking of snacking on cucumbers or lettuce

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #18

Ohh I wish I joined that forum earlier looks like everyone would’ve went for Cronometer instead of my pal fitness or Carb Manager
But too late for me, already subscribed for a year with Carb Manager, so I guess I’ll just stick to it this year and see what happens

I think the protein moderation is so you do not go and have extra steak or chicken if you are hungry as you would be natuarally inclined to do with the mistaken idea that protein is the healthiest to eat to excess on this diet, instead fat is what you eat if you are still hungry.

You may want to look at Dr. Fung

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/

Especially his earlier posts. They are a little sciency but he explains why calories do not work. He is not strictly ketp, but his idea is that if you keep insulin low by avoiding carbs, whether through fasting or keto, you will lost weight be healthier

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #20

Thanks a lot Saphire very useful link
I’m trying to keep up and loose weight before my anniversary loooool so I will try to give up and carry on

How much did you loose with keto and in how long?