Lost in Ketogenic Diet

Hoping you will stick around, there is so much information and encouragement to be had here at the keto forums.
It can seem pretty daunting, but the basics are in your hands now, so Keto on and and see how it works for you. Don’t forget to have PLENTY of salt too!
Best wishes, keep us updated. I’d love to hear how it works for you. Each one is so individual.

G

(Linda Culbreth) #23

On the tuna with the oil - check to see what kind of oil iot is. If it is soybean oil, change to the water packed tuna and add your own olive oil or other oil. Soybean oil is not a good oil for humans.

(KCKO, KCFO) #24

Just adding try to find it packed in olive oil, the omega3s are well preserved when done that way. Also some tuna is packed in no oil nor water, but has some “juice” in it, don’t drain that either. Mix it into the tuna well.

(Khara) #25

Your days are looking pretty good for just jumping in and learning! You’re certainly getting the carbs low. Your protein between 59 and 75 grams is probably a fine range. And having a range in general is fine. The numbers don’t have to be the same every day. As others have said, don’t be afraid of the fat. If eating to satiety you’ll see that number come up. If actually hungry and feeling the need for food, I’d consider cheese over cucumber or lettuce. Especially early on as you are trying to get your body to be fat adapted, you don’t want to be hungry. Restricting calories especially to the point of feeling starving isn’t how Keto works and wouldn’t be sustainable long term. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

(KCKO, KCFO) #26

This is a video of Dr. Westman in a grocery, doing his shopping. It is a fun watch as well as very informative.

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #27

Thanks Helewisa

I’m in love with it so far I lost 1kg in 3 days but I hope that’s not just because I just started a diet. You know our body usually looses a lot the first week then it slows down. I hope this lasts loosing 1kg every 3 days LOL
I was just told about having salt from another Keto friend and I will follow it, it’s actually good for me because I love salty food
I’ll will keep you posted
And yes do wish me luck and I really need to get back in shape before my anniversary
Because my husband currently feels like there is no hope for me to loose weight. Especially that he can’t understand how will I loose fats by eating fats lol

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #28

So another stupid question
Bare with me and don’t hate me now lol
What’s a 24 and 36 fasts?
You mean you don’t eat at all for a whole day?
And how can I do that?
Do I just stop eating for a day and live on tea

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #29

That seems interesting I will search for that

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #30

Is that you Khara?

Well I hope I’m learning fast and I like the idea of snacking of cheese instead of cucumber but what if I’m still hungry after I had all what I should eat.
Shall I still snack on cheese or try to forget it and not eat anything?

Yes that is pretty much it. Go to IntensiveDietaryManagement.com and read up on fasting, he explains it much better than I can. There is also a topic here on fasting.

You drink plenty of water, you supplement with salt and possibly magnesium and potassium. You can drink black coffee or tea. Some people add a small amount of HWC or coconut oil or butter to their coffee. There is disagreement as to whether that is a good idea or not in terms of ruining the fast. A fast can be 24 hours, for example from dinner on Sunday to dinner on Monday. If you skip Monday dinner you get to 36 hours. I am on the end of Day 3 of a fast currently. Hoping to make it another 48 hours. Hunger usually goes away after the first or second day. I know it sounds crazy but it is very easy. I mostly either do not feel hungry or the way you do an hour before lunch, like you could eat but you do not have to. I generally do put a little HWC or Coconut oil in my coffee. Some people also drink bone broth with or without shiritaki noodles as part of their fast

(Khara) #32

Well, I don’t worry about what I “should” eat. I just eat when I’m hungry and until satisfied. Early on especially, while adapting, I craved extra food and so I had cheese quite a bit. It seemed to be what I needed. So if still hungry after having your meal that includes adequate protein, have some fat. Cheese, heavy cream in coffee…
As for the fasting, I think there’s differing opinions on when best to start this. I personally didn’t start fasting until I had been fat adapted for a while (I think a couple or few months) and it just happened naturally where I wasn’t hungry so I just skipped a meal. I liked getting started with it this way because there was no hunger discomfort. I have not yet done any extended fasts but am just right now getting started with that.
I know it can be confusing but hopefully all these comments are helping. And don’t fret, you’ll learn as you go! Best wishes.

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #33

I’m trying not to fret :see_no_evil:
And I’m definitely getting the whole thing from these marriages but I’ve as well read few posts of people that gained 6lb while on keto not sure what they did wrong but I believe they mentioned something about salt!!!

(Khara) #34

Keep in mind that the scale can be very deceiving. Weight can fluctuate several pounds due to hydration and hormones. You can also build lean mass while losing fat at the same time which can cause the scale to show no movement. I’m not familiar with salt being an issue unless people think they are retaining water due to salt intake. It’s been my experience and many people here that water retention is considerably worse when eating carbs and is remedied with Keto. So, if you haven’t done so already, take some before measurements and also take some pictures. I also like to find a piece of clothing that I can use as a measurement for example a pair of jeans that I can just barely get pulled up but cannot zip or button. In a month I can try them on and, most likely they’ll fit a bit easier. Check your progress based on how you feel, how your clothes fit, and your measurements more so than by using the scale.

(Khara) #35

This video is great! Great visual explanation of fat loss on Keto and she cracks me up!

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #36

LOOOool I meant messages not marriages

(Haidy Makram Ebeid) #37

Hahaha I love her already
She is hilarious
And she certainly explained in an amazing way
And I’m a good listener, I will follow what you both said and I won’t scale myself and will use my clothes instead
That was super informative and useful
Thanks a lot

(Carpe salata!) #38

It’s an interesting concept, but if the fat cells are filling with equivalent water wouldn’t the clothes fitting be unchanged as well as the weight? Maybe water weighs more than fat.
Anyway, keto works.

I lost a lot from April to June and early July. While people noticed they did not notice as much as they do now. Meanwhile I only lost about 5 lbs since mid July. However a pair of pants that I could not even pull up in June now close on me and can be worn. Of course they are 10 years out of style!

I started fasting before I started Keto (ate moderate carbs, no grains before) and it was so easy that I moved on to keto. However, fasts after I started keto were harder until I learned to feast on fat before the fast

(Khara) #40

Ya, that’s what she’s saying! We might think we aren’t making any progress cause the scale says the same and the clothes fit the same but really we have made progress as the fat cells are just inflated with water or at least part water. Then all of a sudden it wooshes out! Overnight you see a change on the scale and in how clothes fit and in how you look. It is the weirdest thing! But also pretty cool!