Lost and Confused

Dopamine and endorphins.

(Keto Koala šŸØ) #64

Iā€™m new as well and Iā€™m confused by net carbs too. I suck at maths so itā€™s hard for me. Good luck. Iā€™m learning slowly too.

(Keto Koala šŸØ) #65

I do that as well. Iā€™m pretty boring. I have a coffee with heavy cream for breakfast, 4 eggs and some brie cheese for lunch and for dinner I have meat (usually mince" fried in coconut oil or butter with a bit of lettuce and some cheese and sour cream on top. Fancy recipes confuse the heā€™ll out of me. Plus itā€™s a terrible heatwave right now in Australia (the worst in history) so I donā€™t want to be slaving over a stove in this heat.

wow I understand the heatā€¦not as bad as you got it I am sure.
I am in the Southeast and when it gets hot, no oven at all definitely LOL
We grill meat outside. I love the grill taste anyway or I fry up on the stovetop fast. I hate using the oven even in winter. I like food done fast, eat, and over. Waiting on some whole chicken to cook for 2 hrs drives me crazy HA

(Keto Koala šŸØ) #67

Hahaha, same here. I hate spending hours preparing food. My meal is cooked in 5 minutes.

Do yourself a big favor now from the start and just count total carbs :slight_smile:

net carbs is when you take out fiber, or fake sweeteners, so you can then ā€˜net downā€™ the carb count on that food you are eating.

it isnā€™t a good way to roll FROM MY personal opinion on that.
You can never go wrong just counting total carbs!

but some companies like Atkins and more started net carbing so people could ā€˜eat more carbsā€™ and say the fiber doesnā€™t count, the fake sweetener doesnā€™t count etcā€¦it improves their plan eating kinda on that plan. just how I see it.

not a fan of net carbsā€¦total carbs is the real truth of it all for me but everyone will pick how they want to do carbsā€¦net them or total them. You kinda pick a way to roll and go for it.

(Keto Koala šŸØ) #69

[quote=ā€œFangs, post:68, topic:96482, full:trueā€]

Do yourself a big favor now from the start and just count total carbs :slight_smile:

Cool, will do :blush:

you just made your life a little easier :slight_smile: if you roll like me that is always a good thing HAHA Cool

(Keto Koala šŸØ) #71

:sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

(Patricia) #72

Hey, Mardew, welcome to the club! I am about to turn 68 and have been doing keto for 3 1/2 years now. Although I have had quite a bit of success, I have been stalled for at least a year. I need to lose another 20-30 pounds, not to get to my early twenties weight, but to get to a reasonable weight for an old gal. I have lost 55 pounds and now have problems with sagging skin which I donā€™t think I can address until I lose more weight. Oh well, better to lose the weight than to keep it on. I have a family history of type 2 diabetes and may have been diabetic myself when I was eating lots of carbs. Since losing the weight, I have been able to discontinue my hypertension medication. Yay!

Lately, though, I have been struggling. I have gained back a couple of pounds and am having cravings. I find it difficult to go hard core as so many here are managing to do. Also, I hate to cook, but thatā€™s another story. For that matter, Iā€™m not too keen on exercise, either. :smile: However, having said that, I will not give up on keto, because it is the only diet I have managed to stick with, and I have tried all of them. I lost a lot of weight on a low-cal, low-fat diet once, but it almost made me go crazy. I was depressed and started saying things impulsively, which didnā€™t go over well with my family. I also went to bed every single night with my stomach growling. Needless to say, I didnā€™t stick with it and regained all the weight. I had also become anemic.

Many people here say they can eat whenever they are hungry, but I suspect that is not true for everyone, and I think I will have to count calories as well as carbs. Being an older woman and having messed up my body so many years with dieting, I donā€™t think it is possible for me to lose weight eating when I am hungry. I will just have to put up with some hunger if I want to continue losing.

My husband is a type 2 diabetic, and he eats whatever he wants and doesnā€™t move much. His doctor keeps having to add medicines to his regimen, but it wonā€™t work in the long run. I canā€™t convince him to change, so I know there is trouble in the future. The medications for type 2 lower blood sugar, but they do not stop the underlying damage taking place in the body. They treat the symptoms, not the disease.
They also give people a false sense of security, because they feel better so they continue to eat what they want, etc. If I have to give up food I love, to avoid the ravages of diabetes, I am more than willing to do that.

Anyway, thatā€™s my story. We are all different here but working towards the same goal of being healthy. Glad you joined us.

(Marianne) #73

Great tips.

Yes, yes, yes and yes!

(Richard Hanson) #74

Hi Meagan,

My dog eats like that.

Wuotan also gets bones, excreting organs and about 3 to 5% vegetable matter.

Just meat alone is not sufficient nutrition even for a dog. Animal products, to a great extent yes, but not just meat.

Keto for Life,
Richard

(Deborah) #75

Hi Mardew and Welcome aboard.

Just a little into on arthritis. They are finding out if you skip the nightshades the pain goes away. Try this for a month and see if it works for you. If did for me. :grinning:

@FatMan
Dogs can eat chicken bones? Is this because they are raw? I heard that these bones can splinter and cause great damage to dogs.

(Richard Hanson) #77

Hi Chanterella,

Raw meaty bones are fine as long as they are not so hard as to break teeth. Wuotan will first crunch all the bones up before he gulps down the meat, bone and all. Chicken, turkey, fish, various rib bones all all good, Turkey necks are a treat. When cooked, the same bones become brittle and quite dangerous. When I spadcock a chicken or turkey, Wuotan gets the backs. About 10% of his diet is raw bone, 10% excreting organ meats, and 70% lean muscle meat. The rest is a bit of vegetables and the grossest things I can find, such as raw green tripe.

Puppies need bout 30% of their diet to be raw bones.

The greatest danger is for us, people. The dogs have no problem with all of the bacteria in raw foods, but we must take great care with our food handling practices so that we donā€™t get sick.

Dogs are great ā€¦ we can eat all the awesome fatty parts of an animal and give the dogs all the crappy lean meat.

Keto for Life!
Richard

@FatMan
I have a teensy tiny tea cup chihuahua. The bones would be bigger than he is! He eats Royal Canine and fresh meat- like steak or chicken. Sometimes I give him a veal bone from a cutlet which I was told is safe for dogs. But he isnt interested in that anymore for some reason. What he loves most are boiled chicken hearts.
There was a famous scene at a fiends home many many moons ago for Xmas. The mother made goose and kept feeding their dog from the table. Goose bones. And suddenly I said ā€œWhats that funny noise?ā€ It was their dog who was choking on a bone underneath the table. My friend tried to help but the dog was really biting anybody who came close and had bug eyes and was hysterical. I told her all about the Heimlich Manoever which she managed to try on the dog. She got behind him and did the pressure ā€œjerkā€ under the ribs and voila- the bone came shooting out of his mouth! We all breathed a sigh of relief and my friend told her mother to NEVER feed the dog goose bones from the table again. :smiley:

(Richard Hanson) #79

Wuotan is an 85 lb German Shepherd Dog.

Also, it can take a dof a while to learn how to crunch up bones. For a very small dog or a puppy, you can try small fish, chicken feet, chicken wing tips, et. el., but I also have a large grinder and much of Wuotanā€™s diet is ground up, bone and all except that most of the fat is trimmed away. I like to add to that some bits that are not ground up for the entertainment value.

Keto for Life,
Richard

(Ricky Foutz) #80

I highly recommend seeing a functional medicine practitioner that can provide a meal/supplement plan. You will be healthy in no time :slight_smile:

@FatMan
I love to see responsible pet owners. Looks like your dog is being really well fed. Does he eat raw things only? Mine wonā€™t touch raw meat. Little guy also weighs in a 2 and a half lbs. Almost. ( But pssst - he thinks he is a Dobermannā€¦)

(Keto Koala šŸØ) #82

So can I. The coulours are brighter and everything is way more clear