Lost and Confused

(Tracy) #42

I tried low-carb diets for a few decades and failed every time. I realize now it was because I relied on labels on a package that claimed to be low in carbs. I did the math and subtracted the fiber and sugar alcohol, not knowing that Maltitol, maltodextrin, and a few other ingredients acted no differently than regular sugar. Look up the glycemic index and avoid any artificial sweetener that isn’t zero. This is the one piece of knowledge that has made Keto a success for me.

Sounds delicious but I dontwant to use any kind of sugar. But if you can give me that mac and cheese recipe your wife makes? The one I used today was so la la.
I dont know what a sous vide is. Never heard of it. I looked it up and it said something about slow cooking.

(Marianne) #44

Before keto, I hobbled instead of walked. Everything ached. I went up and down stairs one at a time or mostly took the elevator (only two half flights of steps at work), did a controlled free fall when getting into the car, and needed to sit after standing just a few minutes. Within three weeks of keto, I felt so much better, it was incredible. Now, I walk normally with a spring in my step, and actually exercise now and then. Keto has been an answered prayer. I wish people would do their research before dismissing it as a fad, unhealthy diet.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #45

I do a basic recipe on the stove top.
I sautee the cauliflower in butter, add in some bacon (or bacon bits) and then add some cheddar cheese and heavy cream, and store until mixed.

@gingersmommy
I have the feeling I can see better.

(Scott) #47

I never use any product label “Low Carb” just because it says so because it doesn’t really tell you anything. I take every product and go straight to the label and if carbs are low enough by my standards then I will select it. If not it goes back. When shooting for 20g you quickly run out if the item is more than 4g.

(Marianne) #48

There are a lot of people on here who say their vision improved markedly. Unfortunately, I haven’t experienced that benefit - but I have with many others.

(Tracy) #49

There’s lots of trickery on labels too. I picked up a container of seasoning that said it had zero carbs. There were 280 servings per LITTLE container. That means each serving was so microscopic that it wouldn’t register any calories, fat, carbs, etc on any meter. Yay, they get to call it zero carb.

(Bob M) #50

I will see if I can remember to ask her. It may have been out of one of the recipe books we have.

@gingersmommy
Good to get the reaffirmation because sometimes you think “I must be imagining things. Can it really BE that I am seeing sharper???”

(Meg Taylor) #52

Hi, you’re not alone in the lost and confused state of being. I’m no one to give keto advice but I can share what I’ve learned in the 9 years I’ve lost 100 lbs twice and find myself at square one again. Here goes…being a perfectionist thwarted my efforts more times than I’d like to admit so make your best effort and see what happens, your body will tell you how many carbs are right for you. Without great effort I would have gained back 200 instead of the original 100 so no effort is a failure, don’t beat yourself up if you have a week with no results, your playing the long game. Take no prisoners when choosing your doctors. I have no thyroid and was beholding to every MD who thought they were an ‘expert’. I found an expert, she retired then I wobbled for 11 months but found a new PCP who recommends keto! Shop for one trusted doctor who gets what you’re trying to do and much of the mixed signals you’re getting will stop. Shop for a doc like you were buying a new home. It’s that important. There are many review sites and sites that list keto friendly providers. I’m sorry if I got off topic but everyone with multiple issues contributing to their health a weight needs someone who gets it. I wish you all the fortitude you will need to reach your goal. Maybe this time next year we’ll both have 100 off!

Keto is the demise of the bum trumpet serenade and famous 1980s tooty dance. These are dark times. :trumpet:

I think you’ll come around to realizing Keto is a very easy way to eat and to prepare meals for yourself and non-keto eaters. In my family, for instance, my husband and I eat keto, but my three teenagers do not. One teenager is an extreme athlete who needs a lot of calories, another teen is a vegetarian, and the other teen eats very little.

What I do is prepare a meat-- grilled or sautéed or broiled.
I also prepare a non-meat protein, usually tofu in the same preparation method as the meat.
I make a salad plus a roasted vegetable.
In addition, I make a carb for the teens, like crescent rolls or rice, couscous or pasta with butter and parmesan cheese. Very low prep time on my part.

It’s very clean eating (my kids won’t eat any kind of casserole). It’s also very easy for individuals to eat what they want. The kids also use condiments if they choose. Perhaps you can try this formula when cooking meals for your family? Good luck. I know you can do it.

@KetoCancerMom
Sorry your recipe got lost in the melee…It sounds easy enough. .Can I bake that in the oven too? Most recipes include cream and that has so many carbs…

(Karen Leigh) #56

You sound overwhelmed and it’s easy to get that way with all the information about keto out there. Keto isn’t rocket science, in fact it’s probably one of the easiest ways of eating to get healthy that I can think of. Anyone can do it if they want to.

So here goes, easy peasy to get this going.

Go online and find several easy keto approved meals. Casseroles are great…you always have leftovers. Print out your recipes and put them in a notebook for handy reference.

Make out your grocery list with the ingredients needed for your new recipes.

Get rid of all the non-keto foods. Throw them away, donate them, just get them out of the house. It isn’t being wasteful to get rid of them. It’s saving your health. Besides, they take up valuable space for the good stuff!

When you fix a new keto meal, decide whether that recipe is a keeper or not. In the meantime, keep browsing for new recipes. Keep the ingredient list simple. You’ll be surprised at what you can do with the basics and then add seasonings and spices.

Don’t worry about the scales…good things happen deep inside the body before it becomes visible on the outside.

Use healthy fats when preparing your meals, especially if frying. Use olive oil, coconut oil, butter, real lard (not hydrogenated).

Once you get the glucose out of your body, your focus will improve. It’s like your brain has 20/20 thinking! Totally amazing! Your energy level will go through the roof, your appetite will diminish and you will have to remind yourself to eat.

Since you are diabetic, be careful with your medications. You will most likely have to gradually lower the doses as your blood glucose levels decrease. This is where a keto friendly nutritionist would be helpful.

You can count macros if you want, (I didn’t and lost 30 pounds effortlessly) but the main thing is to read labels. Check for the carb and sugar content. Work at keeping your daily carbs at 20 or below. If you aim for zero carbs, you’ll easily keep below 20.

I won’t add anymore as the idea is to keep this simple. Once you get going you’ll be able to fine tune your own personal keto way of eating to fit you. Good luck! Don’t give up…YOU CAN DO THIS!

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #57

Yes, but a ¼ cup of cream doesn’t have very many carbs. I don’t know about oven coming. I just do stove top.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #58

According to the USDA Nutrient Database

Cream, fluid, heavy whipping

contains 2.92 total grams of carbs per 100 grams. In my estimation that’s a fairly small carb tax for something as good and nutritious as whipping cream.

(Meagan Zepeda) #59

I used to be like that. I have a lot on my plate. I stopped making it about how many carbs and focused on where the real nutrition was. I’m now Carnivore for a year and a half. I only eat red meat, some eggs, butter, some bacon and ONLY animal products. I’ve continued to lose weight. I eat once or twice daily and I’m doing far better. Cut out ALL carbs and stick with the meat. After a week you’ll wonder why it took so long to start

(Kirk Wolak) #60

IMO,
That confusion feeling is your brain FIGHTING your decision. It’s like that “Stressed” feeling that shows up and encourages me to be a little more lenient on myself (of course, allowing me to cheat a little).

My experience is simply this (and from watching others):

1. We are ADDICTED to foods (Especially Sweet Tastes)
  2. We have Trigger Foods that we will eat until the bag is gone (Think Nuts)
  3. There is NOTHING worse that FIGHTING your own feelings of Deprivation!

This diet, in it’s easiest form is NOT Confusing!
TRYING TO FIND WHAT YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH… THAT’S CONFUSING!
(Honestly, because it varies. What you can do for ONE day is not what you can do EVERY day).

Make your life easier:
A) Define the basics of the diet. Since you have played around the edges, GET STRICT. And I mean REALLY Strict:

• Total Carbs Not net carbs
  • No Snacking
  • No Eating outside of your meal times!
  • No Sweeteners
  • Give up Dairy for 1 week, if it makes a huge difference, you, like many, don’t tolerate it well!
  • Measure your MORNING Blood Glucose/Ketones DAILY when you wake up
  • Only Natural/Whole Foods (Meat and Vegetables). Do NOT remove fiber in your carb count!

that will get you back on track. Whenever you get CONFUSED. COMMIT to doing that for 7-10 days.

B) Read my post on the Levers of weight loss/stalls. The Levers of Power (What to Measure, What to Control) to avoid stalling/stalls

C) You have done the first step of taking SOME Responsibility. Go the next step. You KNOW what to do. Follow the basic list. Eat until full. Do NOT eat non-foods or “Keto treats/snacks”.

I will end with a parable about 2 people. Husband and Wife. Husband has lost 70+ lbs is back to his High School weight. He does OMAD and mostly Carnivore (80% he does have cauliflower mash with cheese, and dairy, and a BPC from time to time). His wife, she is “confused” about the diet after over a year, and having lost a lot of weight. She slowly started adding splenda to her coffee, and making Keto Lemon Bars (They are AMAZING, BTW). He tries the bars, and realized he could eat all of them, and having 2 of them makes him wake up hungry, and screws up his morning glucose/ketones. He made the decision to ONLY have these things on Holidays! WOW!

She refuses to measure her Morning Numbers any more, and is slowly regaining her weight. The diet is becoming MORE confusing with every decision she makes.

Is she a bad person? NO! She is cheating her way to failure, though. But she feels she gave up so much to get here, that she DESERVES to be able to ENJOY these things. And that’s the problem. She is eating to ENJOY, and not to nourish. She is triggering Dopamine. And every time she does, she needs a BIGGER hit the next time.

I AM GUILTY of this. Most of us are. This is our beast! Fast Forward, her husband gained 3 pounds recently, and his morning numbers have SLOWLY started to SUCK (Glucose higher, ketones lower). He then admits. Well, I started putting 1/4 pack of splenda in my BPC… It tastes so good that way. Then I noticed I am up to 1 pack. And as I increased it, my stall turned into weight gain. ALSO, I notice that having the BPC like this OPENS my eating window from OMAD to a 4hr eating window.

Thank goodness he was tracking. He pieced together his daily notes and realized what the pattern was. THIS is why I recommend testing, recording and a food log (an honest one). Don’t share it. Just for you.

IF you are serious (and honestly, I believe 80% of the people are NOT, they want the easy weight loss, and not the nourishment side, they don’t have money for meters, but do have it for Keto Candy Bars)… Then please read the above post. Start testing, and simply recording. Pay attention to how you feel in the morning.

My best friend is doing this now. He said “Wow, when I wake up STARVING, I quickly think about what I did last night, and EITHER I ate something I should not have, or I ate late watching a movie with my wife!” (Tracking Helps. Not being hungry all the time REALLY helps).

If you need any help after reading the articles. Just ask.

Good Luck!

(Bob M) #61

This is one reason I gave up eating nuts. The other is that most of them are insanely high in PUFAs.