Lost 1 Stone, now putting on Weight

(Andy) #21

Thanks for all the comments guys…

I’ve been eating more protein and fat over the last 3-4 days and kept under 20g of carbs, but again the weight isn’t shifting… Eating 1500 Cals, with around 120g protein and 120g fat.

Is this macros right for me? - 5ft 5" and 209lbs (94.8kg)

Diet consists of:

Morning - Black Coffee
Lunch - Salad, Coleslaw, Cheese (30g max) and Meat
Dinner - Same as above or Broccoli, Eggs and Meat
Snacks - Almonds, peanut butter, salami sticks, cheese, black olives
Drinks - 2ltr of Water minimum and 2/3 cups black coffee

I weigh myself every Monday so I know I’m going to be disappointed tomorrow when i’ve not lost anything.

I’ll see how it goes!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #22

Try not counting calories, and simply eating to satisfy your hunger. Plenty of forum members have reported that their fat loss didn’t begin until they started eating more, not less.

And note that in a famous starvation experiment conducted during World War II, the caloric intake the researchers studied was 1500 cal/day. It drove the subjects crazy, to the point where they were obsessing about food all the time, and one young man tried to cut his fingers off in order to get out of the experiment.

(Andy) #23

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply mate.

To be fair, I’ve not really been counting the calories, just trying to hit the protein and fat goals aswell as keep below the 20g mark on the carbs… Its just happened to be around the 1500 cals marks.

Not sure why its not working, the only thing I can think of is my macros is wrong, but if I’m eating approx 120g each of fat and protein, alongside the 20g carbs, I would of expected to lose abit more.

I know everyone’s different, but I would like to have lost 3-4lbs a week on this way of eating, but after the initial its like 1lb and not budging much, but at my weight, i would of expected a bigger drop in weight initially.

Maybe get some realistic wishes :wink: It’s a very quick fat-loss, some really heavy men does it longer term, at least I have read such stories and it sounds believable but most of us have no chance for that! (I possibly could lose that much with 0 calorie for a little while. Okay, I weigh less and am female but still…)

You just started some weeks ago! It’s little time and it’s even very new to your body, it’s perfectly normal not lose much or any in the first several weeks (apart from water weight). Many does, yes but not all. Your body may be busy with something else and the little loss (I would expect some myself) isn’t visible yet due to bodyweight fluctuations, it’s possible. But if you wait for 1-2 months and it’s still no result, you may tweak. Not yet. You aren’t even fat adapted yet… Get used to keto, your macros seem nice to me if you feel fine and satiated… A bit lowish, maybe but it works for me and it’s starvation for others, no one can possibly know what is the case for you but if you feel fine, it is a good sign I suppose.

(Chuck) #25

The winners of this contest in the long run are the ones that lose the weight slowly. This gives the body a chance to adjust to the change in weight. Also it allows your skin to be absorbed and not to be sagging all over your body. It also means you are actually using your own extra fat for energy and not destroying your muscle mass. Also if you eat too little then your body believes it is in starvation mode and your metabolism slows down and you will start gaining weight while eating less food. I know this to be the absolute truth because I have been there and done that.
Now a accept when my body weight becomes stable and I am not losing weight, and I in up losing again after a few days to even a very months, during that time I will take time to eat more, eat less, be less active, be more active, change what I eat, and even change the activities I do. You may ask why? To make my metabolism more flexible and to keep my body from thinking it is being starved. Lately I have lost more weight after taking time off from stress, stressful activities, and even by eating more, or eating something I normally wouldn’t eat. The key is to not give up, and after a short break return to your routine.
I have been dieting on and off for longer than I want to admit. Dieting is absolutely going to fail, you have to work on a lifestyle, and be willing to make changes on a moments notice. Sometimes the changes have to be permanent, times others they can be just a temporary change to let the body know that it isn’t starving or permanently being over fed.

I would suggest you reduce your carbs and ignore the calories. Looks like a lot of veggies, and things like peanut butter and salami sticks - it adds up a lot.

(Andy) #27

Hey thanks,

The last few days ive been under 20g of carbs, even one day below 10g, so surely that cannot be the issue. I eat salami sticks and peanut butter to get my macros up… but its no more than one 25g stick and no more than 20g of peanut butter. I cant see that majorly effecting things? - Just not sure.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #28

I eat peanut butter but check the brand ingredients (some are bad) and don’t go crazy. Peanuts are carby

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #29

Yes, but you still might need more. The famine response to short rations inhibits fat loss, which is why we stress eating to satiety, rather than counting calories and macros (except for the carbs, of course). In cases where the metabolism has been damaged from too much carb restriction over the years, it is possible to increase the metabolic rate by slowly increasing caloric intake. It’s called “reverse dieting,” and there are instructions in several posts on these forums.