Losing weight too quickly?

rapid-weight-loss

(Karen ) #1

Hi all,

Although losing weight was one of my reasons for doing Keto the others were my health and general wellbeing.

I have been doing Keto now for 12 days and I have lost 18lbs. This seems like a lot to me although fantastic for hitting long term goals I’m worried it could have other implications such as saggy skin and be detrimental to my general health.
I am using a Keto tracker and am currently having
1560 calories a day
20g of carbs
127g if fat
85gof protein
I have been hitting these almost perfectly every day. (I am a 5”5 female)
Should I alter these to slow things down a bit?

(Robert C) #2

It is best not to worry about weight loss in the first few days.
Some people lose very little, stay the same or even gain.
Some people (as you did) seem to lose a lot.

The majority of these initial changes is just about the amount of water your body wants to hold with the new way of eating vs. your old way of eating. (Also, you may want to make sure you are getting enough salt.)

But, in terms of what you might change?

Hitting 1560 calories per day is not exactly Keto.
The macro ratios look good but, you should be hungrier some days and less hungry others (for calories this might mean 1200 calorie days up to 2500 calorie days).

Specifically, what you are trying to avoid is feeling like you should pack extra calories into dinner because you would finish the day “low” otherwise (i.e. eating when not hungry) or cutting your dinner in half because you would “go over” otherwise (i.e. not eating until satiated).

By keeping calories consistently low, your body will adapt to yet another calorie restricted diet (which just happens to be comprised of Keto foods). Then your metabolism might slow which might eventually (uncontrollably) start making you gain weight back.

(Carl Keller) #3

Hi Karen.

That is a lot of weight but at least half of it is likely water from depleting glycogen stores. Water is still weight but not something that should worry us when we lose a fair amount as long as we are maintaining proper hydration. I’m sure your losses will slow down in your second month since you can only count depleted glycogen once.

On ‘paper’, these numbers look fine but I am believer in learning how to trust your hunger and making the appropriate response to it. No macro can say exactly how many calories your body needs on any particular day because macros are not stretch pants. One size does not fit all.

Maybe you need 1200 calories today and tomorrow it takes 2000 to chase your hunger. That’s pefectly fine because when you are eating single item, whole foods that are low carb, your body is getting better at getting the most fuel out of those foods (and ideally fine with supplementing any caloric deficit by burning body fat). Give your hunger hormones a chance. You are likely to find that they start behaving how they were designed to behave when you stop eating processed foods.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #4

My new favorite quote!

(Windmill Tilter) #5

You have nothing to worry; roughly 80% of that weight was just retained water that is no longer needed because of reduced glycogen and inflammation. If you’re eating 1560kcals per day, it’s extremely unlikely that you lost more than 2lbs - 3lbs of fat. The balance of that weight (~15lbs) is water.

The thing you should focus on is that by dropping nearly 2 gallons of water in a short period of time, you dramatically reduced your body’s electrolytes. You need to get those electrolyte levels back up to normal sooner rather than later. Here is a recipe for a cheap and easy electrolyte drink called “ketoaide” that many have found helpful in maintaining electrolytes:

(Karen ) #6

Thanks for your help Rob, I will ease up on counting the calories old habits die hard I guess!

Karen

(Karen ) #7

Thanks Carl, hopefully I will find me Keto feet soon! X

(Karen ) #8

Thanks Don, I have been having a rehydration tablet in my water each day as I was getting leg cramps. Hopefully things will level out soon.
Karen

(Carissa JB) #9

It depends what your starting weight was, much of the initial weight loss is water weight. You may have been holding a lot of water . Your weight loss should stabilize. Wow you are doing great👍 I wouldn’t worry a bit😁

(Robert C) #10

This is a good idea - but, not just “ease up”.

Maybe try not counting in any way for a few weeks. By now, you know what a Keto meal looks like in terms of macros.

Experience each meal as something you don’t have until you are hungry and then ensure you eat enough so that the next meal can be a long ways off (i.e. especially, no snacks).

I am only suggesting this because, even if you count calories loosely, you might start making larger meals when you think you have “room” in a day and smaller meals when you think you’ve gone over.

Instead, you want to shut your eyes and self-reflect on “how hungry am I right now”.

You’ll learn a lot. Especially when you shut your eyes after walking by a bakery - you will learn the difference between a craving and actual hunger (which is a good Keto tool to have).

Finally, go back to counting calories as a tool when you need it. If you are in a stall or fighting with the last 10 pounds for example.