Losing weight at a (comparatively?) lower weight?

(Mary Ann) #2

I’ve had a relatively small amount of weight to lose (10-15 lbs) and keto made that super easy. I would suggest not trying to do IF. I found that after a few weeksof keto that I just naturally skipped breakfast. This didn’t feel like a chore. IF may happen naturally happen when you start burning fat and feel full for longer periods of time. Hope that helps. :slight_smile:

(Linda) #3

Please don’t be disappointed if you don’t lose the weight that you think you want to lose. Your body had its own set point for optimal health and you really shouldn’t fight this as it knows best. Keto does seem to help with muscle formation and fat loss but that doesn’t necessarily translate to a change on the scales. You are very light for your height and I would hate for you to be disappointed.

(Emily) #4

Thanks, I will try that!

(Emily) #5

It’s definitely something to consider! I do hope I can reach my goal though. Thanks for the response :slight_smile:

(Allie) #6

I would lean more towards trying to gain muscle (which I’m doing nicely on keto) rather than losing the fat. You’ll need to throw the scale away and monitor the physical changes instead though.

For me, the improvement in depression has become the no1 motivator. I got to my target weight last year and then fell off the then LCHF wagon pretty spectacularly. That was when I started keto and found that the extra restriction that I thought would be hard actually made everything easier - my cravings reduced significantly and became more manageable, my migraines improved drastically as did my depression. I have lost most of the weight I regained but am not at my previous target weight. I am within normal healthy weight range. The decision I made a while back was that I would eat how I intend to eat for the rest of my life - that means the kind of keto that is sustainable for me. My weight will settle where it settles because that will be where my body wants it to be. It is also my Phinney weight…

I have also been having regular counselling which has helped my mental attitude and health enormously. My advice is to work towards a place of acceptance and self love rather than a theoretical target weight. You will likely arrive at a happy and sustainable place that is somewhere in the middle. It is always possible to manipulate your weight to a desired target through various means. Staying there is another story and there lies the secret to sustainability and happiness - Phinney weight!

(Erin Macfarland ) #8

@LindaA agree 100%, I got to this weight (I am also 5’ 7") being very restrictive on keto and over exercising and it messed my body up horribly. Women especially are supposed to have fat! Trying to reach an unnaturally low weight will inevitably harm their health. Focus on maybe weight lifting, which will add muscle and improve your body composition. If anything you could gain ten pounds! Our culture is very distorted in promoting an “ideal” body for women that is lean and “ripped.” Women need fat on their bodies for proper hormonal function, and your mental and physical health will suffer if you try and force your body to stay at a low weight.

I agree. I have just plugged the target “vanity” weight in and that would put your body fat into the underweight category which is not healthy. As it stands, it is only just in the healthy range. Please reconsider where your weight should be. Erin’s suggestion of working on muscle tone is a much better option if the aesthetics of your body are important to you.

(Alan Williamson) #10

When I got down to lower body fat, I have to fast 2 times a week for 36 hours to stay lean. It is just one day with no food. If I don’t do this, I will gain 10 pounds of so. I am able to maintain a 4 pack doing this. If I’m tired or lethargic, I put a pinch of salt on my tongue then slouch it around. Literally in minutes, I perk up. When fasting, I do this every 2-3 hours.

(What The Fast?!) #11

@mikki [quote=“alanwil2, post:10, topic:14500, full:true”]
When I got down to lower body fat, I have to fast 2 times a week for 36 hours to stay lean. It is just one day with no food. If I don’t do this, I will gain 10 pounds of so. I am able to maintain a 4 pack doing this. If I’m tired or lethargic, I put a pinch of salt on my tongue then slouch it around. Literally in minutes, I perk up. When fasting, I do this every 2-3 hours.
[/quote]

(Emily) #12

Oh yeah, I’ve been hearing about fasting, might give it a shot. Thanks~

(Emily) #13

Thanks for the response!! It’s really great that it helped with your depression too! I’ve never been happy with my body, I’ve always kind of loathed it to be honest… That thing you are talking about self love and acceptance and all that seems pretty impossible to me!!! I hope my “Phinney weight” (lol) can be at least a few lbs lower than I am right now :wink:

(Emily) #14

I could definitely use some more muscle :wink: but I hate weight lifting, probably because I am so weak… :wink: I am a long distance runner so having too much muscle weight isn’t great for that. Still my body comp. could use a lot of improvement so maybe I’ll give it a go. As for hormonal health I think it’s already a bit screwed up to be honest (haven’t had a period for about 6 months) so I was hoping the higher fat intake on keto would help with that!

That is where counselling comes in. It took me a long time and persistence to reach an acceptance and even love of my body. I have done some weird stuff like being a life class model - that was a real turning point for me and it was when I was about 16 stone too. Maybe you will be happy when you lose those few extra pounds but I suspect not. Even if you do, it is quite likely that other things will rear up to take the place of the previous mirage. There will always be something that is just out of your reach that is going to make everything OK if you can only get there. The good thing about setting goals that are really hard to reach is that it will ever be that mirage in the distance - it looks so good from a distance but it dissolves when you get there.

What is more beautiful than a healthy body? Get strong - nourish your body and you will be able to do those strength exercises. Gladiators have some weight to them right? They have it for a reason - it gives them strength. Work on the outside but work on the inside too - find a way to be happy with the beautiful woman that you already are. That may take some help and there is no shame in that. Sometimes you need to tackle these things from multiple directions at once. Keto has helped me with my weight, with my depression, migraines and confidence but so has my counsellor. It has been hard work and still is but I’m worth it right? And so are you.

(Kristin Rogers) #16

No period for 6 months is pretty concerning. My understanding is that long term calorie deficit is what causes that, though fat restriction is usually part of that with chronic dieters. But that would point quite strongly to me that you shouldn’t pursue more weight loss. At least until that resolves (and maybe check with a doc or midwife to see if there is another issue causing that)
That amount of disruption in hormones may also be causing other problems - like bone demineralization. Lift some weights! Get some muscles and it will help your bones too!

As a woman (and sister, and mother of daughters) your post kind of breaks my heart. If you loathe your body now, I promise that losing 10 pounds will not magically make you happier or improve your self image. You’ve gotten some wonderful advice here and I hope that some of it resonates in some way.
I haven’t read it yet but Jason Seib has a book on women and self-image that I bet is worth a read. He’s a trainer with long experience working with women in particular. His WOE won’t click with most folks here -it basically alternates high fat and high-carb days - but he has fantastic insights about how women see their bodies and how the loathing that you describe has to be dealt with before you worry about how many carbs you have or whether intermittent fasting is right for you. Essentially you can’t hate your way to a body that you want.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #18

I’m a 53 years old. I never planned to lift weights.
A few years ago I was leg pressing 100 lbs.

This is 700 lbs in the first photo.
I have large thighs. It was the one thing I loathed about myself from a young age.

I love them now.
Look what they can do!

(Emily) #19

Ah, you’re so right…every time I lose a bit more weight it is never good enough…I am so tired of hating myself…but I don’t really know what else to do about it except try…oh well, I guess we all have our issues!! Anyway thank you, it’s really sweet of you to give me these advices, I appreciate it a lot :slight_smile:

(Emily) #20

I think you are probably right about that, but I don’t really know what else to do except try! It’s really nice of you to care enough to give me these advice so I’m grateful for that :slight_smile: I just checked my library for Jason Seib and there is one book by him called “The Paleo Coach” so I will read that, thank you for the advice!!

We do all have our issues and sometimes it pays to sort them out with some therapy. Something to consider. I hope you find a ay through this and appreciate you for you. x