Loose skin

(Jodi) #82

Not all prisoners of WW2 were soldiers. When he discussed it, I actually was thinking of the concentration camps. :pensive:

(James storie) #83

As I understand it, once you peak, it levels off. So fasting longer is just going to lengthen the time spent rebuilding. The level of autograpy doesnā€™t get stronger, it just levels off.

(Adam L) #84

You are right, Iā€™ll reword my question.

Wouldnt the fact that most humans from 1939-1945 (that Dr Fung is referring to) werenā€™t overweight or larger than overweight to begin with be a significant factor here? I wonder if an overweight or obese human would emerge from such an ordeal with such tight skin.

(Tom Seest) #85

The rate of fat loss might impact itā€¦The method of lossā€¦Plenty of variables. Iā€™ve lost 220 pounds that I know of and probably more like 320, but it has taken me ten years overall. Does the absence of loose skin occur because I lost slowly or did prisoners of war not have loose skin because they lost quickly? Did I not have it because I did not starve and they did? There are a ton of variables or factors here. The prisoners had huge levels of stress. Did that impact it? Who knows.

But, I do know that Iā€™m unlikely to require surgery for loose skin and this is apparently the theme with Dr. Fungā€™s patients. I have fasting in common with them although I vary my methods some. Our diets probably have some things in common like lower levels of protein.

I donā€™t have any evidence; just personal results.

You look amazing. Can you tell me what exercise program you are doing? Arms look fantastic btwā€¦thx.

(Buns Santi) #87

Yes, been using the same therapy for my joint pain. Itā€™s really been helping me manage the pain. Itā€™s called microcirculation therapy ā€” it is a noninvasive therapy using medical grade vaporized CO2. I also noticed my skin has improved lol it has a lot of benefits since it deals with our microcirculation, it reaches the smallest of blood vessels.

(Lisandra Mathews) #88

Are the results permanent or do the procedures need maintenance?

(Khara) #89

Thanks everyone for the info here. I canā€™t contribute but some of the insights here give me some things to try and research. It is definitely a frustrating problem. Last year I got to where I was very happy with my weight and health after losing 40 lbs but my arms looked worse than before I lost weight. No longer proportionate to my body. After such success, I couldnā€™t wear short sleeve shirts or point or wave to anyone! Itā€™s a very public place to have the issue as itā€™s hard to hide. I ended up going off LCHF and so my body is now more proportionate to my arms again :neutral_face:. It was dumb and Iā€™m back for good with this lifestyle but the arm skin issue is still here and I know itā€™ll seem worse as I lose and get healthy again. The autophagy info at least gives me something proactive to try. Thanks again everyone for your insights!

(Michelle Presnell) #90

Itā€™s taken me eight months to lose 30 pounds, and yes I have extremely loose skin on my belly I went from 154 pounds to 123 I have been exercising and I do yoga but Iā€™m still plagued :sob: let me know if anyone has any suggestions :slight_smile:

(Carpe salata!) #91

Have a look at the fasting threads. Forcing the body to consume onboard protein through fasting can get rid of loose skin. Many have found this to be very effective.

I find my dark scars and light wounds (bumps etc) are healing much much faster as of late since I reduced my daily intake of protein from over 100g to 65g, making 6pm dinner smallest protein meal of the day, and not eating a thing until 6 am breakfast. I think my skin is tightening a bit tooā€¦ I lost 80lbs need to lose another 190 lb.

(LUCAS KRAUSE) #93

Helpful way to reduce loose skin. I have lost over 40 pounds over the last 5 months, and limited the loose skin this time around, with Fasting, along with some of the science here:

The premise is as we age, our stomach acid gets weaker, and it basically canā€™t break down collagen, which is what makes skin ā€œelasticā€ and firm. It explains why as we age our skin gets saggier. By taking ACV every day, consistently, you allow your body the stronger stomach acid to make use of the collagen to rebuild skin tissue.

I have luckily been doing daily ACV for months before i started keto and fasting back in May, mostly for other health benefits. I also think this could be a factor for older people as well, but Iā€™ll take anything to help with keeping my loose skin at bay.

Weight isnā€™t always the best factor for determining fat elimination. Waist circumference and other measurements are a more reliable indication. But what is your eating routine frequency daily? Meals, snacks? Grains, starches? Thereā€™s lots of factors here, as Tom has said. Donā€™t give up love! I know itā€™s hard but Itā€™s just a matter of figuring it out like Sherlock Holmes.

(cheryl) #95

Yay , thats good to hear.

And, ACV is just one option. You can restore your digestive juices by fasting, by avoiding drinking liquids with meals, and supplementing with Ginger capsules as an enzymatic precursor. Some people take enzyme supplements like papain or bromelain - but theyā€™re super strong, and can require lifelong use because they donā€™t actually restore the bodyā€™s own enzyme production processes from what I understand.

Collagen uptake is tied to Vit C levels in the body - so when I add collagen to smoothies I add 1/4-1/2 cup berries in it - or if I go without the berries I take a liposomal Vit. C capsule. With collagen added to boullon broth, one can enjoy chewing on some dried berries along with it, makes it a salty-sweet thing.

Also - the industrial scam that gets people hooked on drinking iced/cold drinks with food creates a lot of digestive problems. It basically stops digestion (any iced drink, glasses of water, etc), and sets people up for GERD. Red wine with cheesy foods enhances digestion though, because of gastrin - but sometimes even a glass of non-iced water with a meal can stall everything out. In ayurveda, they recommend folks who want a beverage with their meal to simply have a mug of boiled water to sip, maybe with some lemon.

Dr. Phinney has pointed out that none of his obese patients on well formulated very low carb dietary paths have had issues with sagging skin upon reaching their maintenance point. Dr. Fung I think has mentioned the same of his patients. So, whether one is doing any fasting or not - the point is that metabolic healing restores the bodyā€™s ability to recompose.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #97

Iā€™m 60 - and donā€™t see sleeves in my future - summers here are 95 degrees plus, and last eight months a year!!! I will do weights and start savingā€¦

I know this is an old thread, but thought Iā€™d chance a reply. Fiorella, what do you eat/drink during your fasts? it looks like you have great results on fasts > 3 days. Thinking about trying itā€¦

(Mike W.) #99

Iā€™m guessing nothing but water. If youā€™re eating you arenā€™t fasting. Especially if youā€™re trying to reach autophagy.

Thanks!

(Patricia) #101

I am 67 and have the same problem. I have loose skin but still have a big belly. I am terrible at trying to fast. I get ravenous. If I lose the rest of the weight I need to lose, I am considering a tummy tuck, but in the meantime my clothes donā€™t fit well. I look like I have a 2-tiered midsection.