Loose skin

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #62

I totally believe th fasting helps tremendously!

(Dustin Cade) #63

considering a lot of these concepts and practices are fairly new (w/in the last 20 years) Iā€™d imagine that we will just have to seeā€¦ I would like to avoid loose skin as much as possible, though being able to get to a point where I have loose skin is an accomplishment in of itselfā€¦

(Mike Glasbrener) #64

I had it on a HCLF diet ~8 years ago. I never fasted thoughā€¦ Weā€™ll see this time aroundā€¦ I should be about 4-5 months away from target weight. If I donā€™t have loose skin then Fung ranks up there with Einstein!

(betsy.rome) #65

Since we have a ā€œLoose Skinā€ thread here ā€“ has anyone had positive results in tightening up neck folds that happen after weight loss / age? Besides being unsightly, they bother me when I sweat or lie down. There are a bazillion YouTubes with neck exercises, do any of them work? Has anyone had surgery to correct? TIA.

Hello,

For a natural and effective fix, you may want to do some research on non-invasive transdermal CO2 therapy, which not only creates a visible results with one 5-minute treatment that feels like a mist, but lasts with little maintenance. I discovered its effect as a side benefit from pain management for arthritis. One of the reasons I started his therapy was because of its safety profile/no adverse events reported to the FDA,everā€¦
db

(Jill Bowman) #67

Iā€™m exactly thereā€¦ Im 58 and only actually have lost 30 lbs. But im about at my goal and just saw a picture. Weight looks good but arms look scrawny and wrinkled. Maybe itā€™ll tone with a bit of weights - or maybe Iā€™ll just get sleeves!! :heart:

(Claire Shackleton) #68

At 56 I am the same. Weight loss 26 lbs goal 30. Baggy skin on underarms, top of legs and tummy. But I can still feel the subcutaneous fat beneath. So I am on day 2 of a 3 day (minimum) fast - my first for the benefits of Autophagy to see if that helps and currently looking for a bodybuilding routine to do 3 times a week.

(Adam L) #69

I donā€™t have this issue but I do have some dvdā€™s of a fairly gentle deep breathing/stretching/isometric exercise routine called Oxycise which amongst other things claims to tone the neck & face muscles - thereā€™s no doubt muscles in these areas work when itā€™s done correctly. It is a great 15 minute routine that I think is worth it for just how I feel from the deep breathing alone, may be worth checking out.

(Sheri Knauer) #70

Me too! Im pretty lean but I still have lose skin on my belly from having 2 kids in my forties. My kids told me I had a six pack but with wrinkly skin over it, lol. Then last night my older daughter (9) noticed faded stretch marksā€¦

(Julia A Wells) #71

How old are you Joybeejoy? I am 60. Wonder if that makes a difference.

(Paula Hradkowsky) #72

I think age DOES make a difference. I have been eating low carb/ancestral for twenty years - so I was 43 when I changed my way of eating. I will be 64 in two weeks. I believe intermittent fasting can help with loose skin because it allows for autophagy and increases growth hormone for the first 36 hours. But, we are all individuals with our own health parameters. I still have loose skin - just not nearly as much as I did when I first lost my weight. Currently I am 89 pounds lighter than my starting weight.

Fantastic. Would you describe the details of your fasting pls - Thnx!

(Tom Seest) #74

The only type of fasting that really accelerates autophagy, to my knowledge is a water fast. You want autophagy to occur, and this occurs in the absence of dietary protein, based on my reading. I could be wrong though. So, any water fast beyond 18 hours should give you the results you want. I believe autophagy peaks at 3 days, and then levels off.

I think that Dr. Jason Fung explains it best this way. When you look at pictures of released prisonerā€™s of war in World War II, youā€™ll see ribs, etc, but you donā€™t see lots of excess baggy skinā€¦

Thanks! Your experience ā€œbeyond 18 hoursā€ + ā€œpeaks at 3 daysā€ is appreciated. Yes, it seems autophagy it is triggered by MTOR regulator; the absence of dietary protein (MTOR). I read Fiorellaā€™s helpful post ā€œnoticed that after 3 days fasting, I see a fast progression of skin tightening and definition happeningā€. Dr Fung stated in an interview [Dr Fung: Intermittant Fasting/ Weight Loss - Autophogy @ 17:40] that Autophogy kicks in on water-only in approx 24-48 hoursā€¦ Itā€™s good to know how it kicks in for different ppl. Many thanks!

(Mike W.) #76

I was hear people say it peaks at 3 days. What does that mean exactly?

(Tom Seest) #77

Purely a guess on my part, but I suspect that at that point, the body has unregulated other sources for amino acids besides bad / junk cells, and doesnā€™t need to draw more. But, Iā€™m only speculatingā€¦

(Mike W.) #78

So from 18-72 hours autophagy happens and then it shuts down so to speak?

(James storie) #79

It peaks and doesnā€™t get any stronger. At least thatā€™s how I understand it. So, after 72 hours. The autophagy benifits donā€™t increase past that point.

(Adam L) #80

Wouldnt the fact that soldiers werent overweight or larger than overweight to begin with be a significant factor here? I wonder if an overweight or obese soldier would emerge from such an ordeal with such tight skin. I reckon Dr Fung is at his best when heā€™s talking about the science & the mountain of success his patients have experienced.

(Mike W.) #81

So if youā€™re fasting strictly for autophagy, there is no benefit to going longer than 72 hours?