Loose skin

(carl) #1

@tdseest do you have an issue with loose skin? Many people who lose lots of weight have this issue.

Loose skin/tissue weirdness
(Tom Seest) #2

Not really. But, for the average big loser, I’ve lost slowly. My journey of weight loss has now spanned 9 years, so I’ve probably averaged losing 30 to 40 pounds per year. I’ve lost more quickly on Keto, so I expect I may have some as time progresses, but with 50 to 70 pounds of fat loss remaining, I don’t have any loose skin to speak of.

I hope this helps.

I used to have problems, but I noticed with extended fasting (due to autophagy perhaps??) it gets tighter.

(Meeping up the Science!) #4

The less weight we have to lose the slower we lose even when we’ve been super morbidly obese. The first two years I was low carb I dropped 200 pounds (110 the first year and ~90 the second). Weight loss then began to crawl to 25-50 pounds a year. Surgery last year helped again, when I lost 140 pounds since. You’re doing amazing I think :slight_smile:

I do have very bad extra skin. Curiously, even though it’s stretched (obviously) I never suffered a lot of the skin deterioration many people have at my highest weight. I definitely think diet has helped… I have great skin despite all my health crap. At any rate, the extra stuff is still really annoying in some cases. I have about 25-30 pounds of extra skin now. If I ever manage to lose my last 100-150 pounds, they think that will add another 10-15 pounds of skin. Of course, who knows how they get that last number.

My first time on ZC the weight melted crazy fast off. It was ridiculous. Unfortunately, I have the extra skin to prove it. I actually got less post-op than I thought, strangely.

Same here as @tdseest. I’ve lost rather slowly from 1998 to 2016 with a net loss of 160 lbs, but I would lose 10, gain 2, stall, lose 20, gain 5 and at one point gained 50 (trying to add back carbs) and lost it all again.

Bottom line is that I probably lost 300 lbs going from 320 lbs to 160 lbs, but keeping active in general and doing some resistance training here and there and I have no loose skin.

(Dustin Cade) #6

When I started my wieght loss journey I was 421lbs, I’m down about 50lbs from that, I do worry about loose skin, but being healthy and feeling good are obviously more important…

(Guardian of the bacon) #7

400 down to 310…no lose skin yet.

(Erin Macfarland ) #8

Damn kids are to blame for my lack of perfectly taut skin! Haha. I gained a ton of weight with my daughter, lost a good amount of it, then had my son, didn’t gain quite as much, then it fell off along with an additional twenty pounds or so. So my weight has fluctuated about 80 pounds or so from its highest to where I am now. That will do a number on skin elasticity. I had Exilis at my dermatologist which is a non surgical treatment for building collagen and helping with elasticity. I highly recommend it if you don’t have really large amounts of extra skin. I had my abdomen and inner thighs done for about $5000 total, which sounds like a lot but surgery freaks me out and is much more expensive. I’m pretty happy with the results, I will most likely have more treatments when I can afford them!

(Meeping up the Science!) #9

Sadly, for my skin the only option is surgical removal.

No complaints as it beats being fat and diabetic!

(Julie) #10

I do have some loose skin but it doesn’t bother me…anywhere that is except on my face.
I have these HUGE bags under my eyes now. I’m trying an eye cream as the cucumber and teabags have made no difference. If it works great, if not… that’s okay too. As long as I keep on feeling this great!

That’s amazing, @Donna! As we say here in Carolina, keep "pound"ing!

I’m with you! I’m watching crepey skin starting to hang from my arms as the pounds are melting and am thinking I ought to start thinking about lifting weights. :weight_lifting_man:
BUT I started this journey to regain health, not to be the sexiest 60-year old in the senior center! Lol

(Dustin Cade) #13

I’ve never been in shape, i do want to not only lose weight but make sure i am strong enough that as i get older the loss of strength with age doesn’t leave me disabled…

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #14

My weight loss has been a long and slow process. The past 3 years my average lose is about 20lbs a year. Overall, I’ve lost over 130lbs since 2005. Loose skin has been something I’ve been concerned about. So I think it’s a good thing that my lose has been slow. I think it also helps that I strength train regularly.

(Kelly LeBlanc) #15

I lost 102 pounds in 7 months and do not have loose skin, but my husband, who lost slightly more than I did in the same time frame does have loose skin on his belly and thighs. But his skin did and does continue to tighten even 1+ years after initial lose.

(carl) #16

Did you exercise and/or fast?

(Kelly LeBlanc) #17

I did fast regularly. 24-48 concurrent hours a week almost every week with a minimum of 5 days not fasting in between each fast.
No real exercise. Unless playing on the wi really does count. But it wasn’t the exercising games so I doubt it.

(Kelly LeBlanc) #18

I also used dry massage.

(Kelly LeBlanc) #19

@carl, It’s almost 10PM. I know it’s the weekend, but you need that beauty sleep. :slight_smile:

(carl) #20

It’s not even 10PM where I am.