Loose skin

(Kelly LeBlanc) #21

Yeah, you caught me. These time zones mess me up.

(Howie Levy) #22

Follow Keto Karma on YouTube. She lost 100 lbs in 1 year and uploaded her weight loss on Keto every week. She recently documented her excess skin removal.

(Kelly LeBlanc) #23

I am looking for some pictures. I know I took some. Well, I donā€™t have a before from my heaviest, but I think it wills till show the lack of loose skin.

Carl, Dave Asprey and his wife (Dr.Lana) from Bulletproof Labs wrote this book on stretch marks (Dave is his own version of Keto): https://www.amazon.com/Stretch-Marks-Factor-Prevent-Naturally-ebook/dp/B01N02Y3P9

(Jake P) #25

Iā€™m worried about this, Iā€™m trying to do yoga three days a week and 5x5 strong lifts three days a week. I hope this can contrition my skin and prevent lose skin. I have no idea. From what I gather itā€™s genetics.

(Lindsay Clarke) #26

Rather loose skin to a surgeon than a limb !!!

(Adam W) #27

Charles Poliquin, who is a world renowned strength and athletic trainer, did a podcast with Tim Ferris and in it he said that gotu kola was the thing to take to help the taughtness of skin after a large weight loss.

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/07/21/charles-poliquin/comment-page-2/

Pretty sure it is this podcast

(Meeping up the Science!) #28

Didnā€™t work for me, sadly. Again, I am not toooo bummed since having all my limbs and being 452 pounds less is pretty much worth it.

I think we also feel our skin is worse than it is. Even if we have a little bit, we notice the most. Itā€™s rare it interferes with functioning.

(Jordie) #29

Hey Julie,

https://sabbaticalbeauty.com/products/bright-eyes-eye-gel-1 in the morning and https://sabbaticalbeauty.com/products/anti-aging-eye-gel-oil at night have done wonders for my eye bags. Quite cheap to try the sample sizes and VERY effective. X

(dawn.hakala) #31

I have skin apron, hate it more than I can explainā€¦ But it is what it isā€¦ Its a reminder of what I wasā€¦ Is a reminder of what I donā€™t want to go back too. 323# of misery and hate is in that apron. My yo-yo dieting for years, having a child, getting super skinny (but not strong) then ballooning up againā€¦ Nowā€¦185, lean-ish (excess skin all around doesnā€™t show it but Dexa does :slight_smile: ) and stronger than I have ever beenā€¦ We deal with what we are handed. If the apron were to get in the way, Iā€™d look into having it removed, but itā€™s my reminder of my former life. I wear it with some pride & to prove that the human body CAN be improved by diet and exerciseā€¦A person just has to want it bad enough to put in the effort.

(Paula Hradkowsky) #32

I have been low carbing, paleoing and ketoing for 20 years. Another list I was on in the distant past had a plastic surgeon as one of the participants. She said skin would tighten up for two years after you finish losing weight. Weight training to fill out loose skin help a lot, too. :slight_smile:

(Julie) #33

Thank you, Iā€™ll check it out!

(Kelly LeBlanc) #34

I had heard 1 year, but the more I think about it the more I think that it can be longer, even much longer. As long as we are giving our bodies good building blocks the new skin cells will be healthier than the old and will keep getting healthier and healthier. In theory. Havenā€™t looked for science on this, but I am guessing there is some.

(Crow T. Robot) #35

Just my opinion, but based on Jason Fungā€™s experience in his clinic, as well as various anecdotal observations, I suspect that the cure for loose skin is making the body scavenge amino acids from unneeded derma and connective tissues. You need to make the body recycle the extra skin. Therefore, the best ā€˜cureā€™ is any or all of the following: 1) extended fasting; 2) lower-protein diet; 3) lifting heavy weights.

Thatā€™s what Iā€™d do. All other advice seems to be either hope for the best, or get surgery. Thatā€™s fine, of course, if you thatā€™s your choice, but I find the protein deficit theory very compelling. Thatā€™s what I would try.

(Mark) #36

(Jimmy Broadwater) #37

Started at 380, down below 270, some loose skin not bad. I expect more as I get down in the lower 200 range. Iā€™ll deal with that when it gets here, started to consider my options as I will get there!

(dawn.hakala) #38

I call BS on that Dr :slight_smile: not everyone is the sameā€¦ itā€™s been 8+ years since I was 323#ā€¦ loose skin is here to stayā€¦ I strength train hard & workout longā€¦ Itā€™s not going anywhereā€¦

(dawn.hakala) #39

I do it all as he saysā€¦ Have been for yearsā€¦ Nothing chargesā€¦ We are all different ā€œsnow flakesā€ā€¦ No 1 solution fits all unfortunately :frowning:
On the up sideā€¦I do like his videos as a whole.

(Carol E. ) #40

For the folks that report no change in their loose skin after 2+ years would you share specifically what role intermittent (or extended) fasting had in your journey?

Thanks in advance :blush:

(Meeping up the Science!) #41

Iā€™ve done IF daily for several years. Also water fasted extensively for days before my weight loss surgery (I lost most weight before my WLS). Iā€™m actually spent years fasting (Iā€™m Buddhist) and I have done intermittent fasting The majority of the time for the past five years. The only time I didnā€™t fast was the 2 months post WLS to ensure I had vitamins/nutrition to heal from surgery.

Having said that, I have reduced loose skin for sure. Still have loads of it. Iā€™m also still obese despite having shed several hundred pounds, so it might be also a factor.