Looking for recipes to make bone broth easier for new comer

(M M) #1

I have made some bone broth and the taste is to hard for me, I have nver had it before. So far I hve used a bit to make a gravy, reduced kind of thing in the pan.

Does anyone have any hints on how to cook with it or lift taste some as I don’t think I could drink it as a plain consumme sort of thing as it is now?

I probably will -in time- come to like the taste, it is just very new to me.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

I like to make bone broth/stock in a slow cooker on low heat for about 24 hours. I put the bones in with plenty of water, and sometimes add more water, if necessary.

You can improve the flavour by adding spices and vegetables during cooking, and straining them out afterward. Be very gentle with the spices, and do not salt the broth until the cooking is done, because the flavour becomes more intense as the volume of liquid is reduced. You can always add more salt, but you can’t remove it once it’s in there!

(Jane) #3

How do you make yours?

(Will knit for bacon. ) #4

I make mine in the pressure cooker. Bones, big chunks of carrot, onion, and celery. A tablespoon of vinegar to help dissolve the collagen out of the bones. Couple of bay leaves, a few peppercorns. It’s up to you, really. 3 hours under pressure, and I usually start it before I go to work so it switches to “keep warm” for a few hours before I get home. I don’t season it until I’m ready to use it.

A slow cooker works, too, at least 8 hours on high, or if a stove is all you have keep it at a very low simmer for 8-12 hours.

For extra flavor you can salt, pepper, and roast your bones in the oven before starting your stock. Make sure you deglaze the roasting pan and add that liquid to the stockpot!

The plain broth works great for cooking. Anytime a recipe calls for water I add broth instead.

(M M) #5

Thanks, u are helpful people :slight_smile: Yes I made mine similar to what @PaulL and @Marlitharn have outlined. Saved salt to end and cooked with a bit of cabbage, peppercorns and a garlic clove.

Where I need help is how to eat it? The taste and smell are to intense, I think because I am a beginner and it is new. So far I have made a reduction gravy around a steak & some mushrooms and it seemed very rich.

Right now I don’t think, well know, I couldn’t face drinking a cup of it like I see people doing on youtube as a norm.

So am after ways people either alter taste or merge it into cooking. Or just how they have adjusted to it until they can drink it easily.

Thank you :slight_smile:

I can’t help with bone broth as I never ate it (it’s the same with gravy, actually) but the ideas of the others sounds good…
How are you with meat soups (probably they are called broth too, my English is pretty good but I still get confused with food names)? They have bones as well but meat too and they may be less intense and more flavorful…? Maybe you can make your broth meatier first…

I don’t think bone broth is mandatory. If you dislike it, don’t eat it. I never ate it but well, I did some unusual vegetarian keto for a long time :smiley: My quick meat soups surely contain some bone-y goodness, that’s enough for me. But I just eat them for the joy and only put salt into them, don’t ruin them with veggies (for some reason they bother me since I tried carnivore) and spices are totally unneeded as meaty bones are flavorful enough. At least according to my personal taste.
If it’s intense, add water…? You get more broth, isn’t it cool? Maybe not everyone enjoys such liquids galore… I do. If it is tasty. I probably really need my usual amount of meat in the stuff.

So… Add some meat? Or just eat some other food you like.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

Ooh! That sounds like a good idea. I’ll have to try it next time. Pressure isn’t something I usually use, just slow heat (as you mention) for up to 24 hours. The longer, the better, for getting the goodness out of the marrow.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

As @Marlitharn mentions, the easiest way is to use it as the liquid in recipes. In the old days, I would make my rice with broth instead of water. We’re avoiding rice on keto, of course, but you get the idea. Any time a recipe calls for a quantity of water, you can substitute broth.

(KCKO, KCFO) #9

Have your bones been roasted? Makes a big difference. I make chicken bone broth from chickens that are roasted.

I have done it in a slow cooker and an instant pot I thought both did a good job, so I use the instant pot now.

Use the broth as a replacement for water in soup recipes.

(M M) #10

I did roast them a bit but maybe not enough. I have an old crockpot coming in from eBay

I put it all in freezer and now the bones are cooling down from the second boil now and I have been around them brewing all day. I’m 30 hours or so into fasting… so now they are starting to smell nice… :roll_eyes::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I think rich gravies for steak or soups or stews will be all right, thank you @Marlitharn @Shinta & @PaulL I love lamb shanks, so if I put it as super shanks in my mind I think I will get there.

After I wrote here I looked around more and found an article about doing a very short 1st boil to make a really nice batch with better quality fat. Anyway I’ll share here for anyone who may be interested…

Thank you all very much. :slight_smile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhg4kmg8DBw

(UsedToBeT2D) #11

I boil the bones with some Italian seasoning and dried minced onions for several hours, adding water as necessary. Then strain into a mason jar. I heat and add lemon pepper seasoning (salt) when I drink it. Slight roasting of bones before boiling also adds a lot of flavor.