Looking for recipes for sensitive tummies

(Insert witty quote here) #1

Hi all! It’s been a long time since I’ve been here, but I’m back on the keto horse and I’m hoping to really make it stick this time!

I’m eating keto, but my husband is just along for the ride. Yesterday, I made Diet Doctor’s cheeseburger casserole, which I thought was delicious, but it was really rough on the hub’s tummy.
So, I’m looking for recipes that are not too greasy and good for “normal” eaters. Needs to be relatively easy, maybe something for picky eaters would be good.

Just for information, we have a freezer full of venison. Chicken is great as long as it’s juicy. He doesn’t like pickles or tomatoes and has a really sensitive tummy.

I tried to look through the recipes, but I’m not even sure what to search for…
Thanks so much!

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #2

Just curious…

What, if anything did hubby eat along with the casserole?

Eating non compliant food along with the good stuff can lead to digestive upsets…

P.S.
At the risk of sounding glib, the best recipes for sensitive tummies, are no recipes at all.

Go with single ingredient whole foods. When you eat a multi-ingredient recipe and have digestive problems, there is no way to know which ingredient caused the problem.

(Windmill Tilter) #3

Grilled steak. I could eat this 7 days a week forever and still love it. Make him a cocktail and send him out to grill it. That’s like 3 wins for the price of one. He’ll be keto for life… :yum:

(Insert witty quote here) #4

Not glib at all. I’m honestly a terrible cook, which is why I need recipes. It’s weird. I can follow a recipe fine, but I have no idea how long to cook chicken without it going dry. :confused: Of course I Google it, but then I end up being afraid Google is wrong and end up cooking it too long. 🤦

(Insert witty quote here) #5

Yeah… About that. We’ve been talking about getting a new grill forever. Ours went kaput and we never got a new one. Would it be blasphemous to do it in the oven?

We both do love steak!

(Prancing Pony) #6

My husband has a sensitive tummy, his triggers are spice, high fibre and cheese. So I avoid them or add them to my part of the meal.

The easiest way for me to cope is by making meals that can be split out, so if I make meat balls I can make plain ones for him and then add spice and cheese to my portions.

(Brandy) #7

I almost always broil my steaks. It takes only minutes and should you be fairly consistent with the thickness of steaks you buy, you’ll get consistent results each time.

(Insert witty quote here) #8

Thanks!

(Insert witty quote here) #9

Thanks! We ended up doing burgers tonight! It worked out great. :smiley:

(Windmill Tilter) #10

You can do it in the oven, but one of the keys to great steak is the dark crust created by the Maillard reaction. To create it, you want that temp up well over 500 degrees F. The smoke point of the beef fat is around 350F. Long story short, you need a pretty good ventilation system to get a top notch steak in the oven otherwise it’ll smoke you right out of the house. One cheap and easy alternative is a cast iron or stainless steel frying pan, a hot plate, and an extension cord to do it outside. Alternative 2 is just not to sear it very much. I’d take a lightly seared steak happily any day of the week.

P.S. Never sear or brown meat with a teflon pan. It’s not safe on the stovetop or the broiler. The vapors from teflon over 400F is unbelievably toxic. A ton of pet birds are killed this way every year. They have sensitive respiratory systems, which is why they used actual canaries in a coalmine to test for poisonous gas. When the bird dropped dead, everybody ran for the exit. Most people with non-stick cookware routinely overheat it enough to kill a canary but aren’t even aware of it.

For super juicy, moist chicken with nice and crispy skin, take a whole chicken and cut along the breastbone all the way down. Then flatten it and lay it skin side up in a roomy pan. Put like 1\2 inch or a bit less of water in the pan, so the chicken is sitting in it. Pop in a hot 400 degree oven and leave in there for an hour, checking occasionally to make sure there is still water in there. If it has evaporated, add some. Be careful, stay back when opening the oven, very hot steam will escape. It seems illogical that this would crisp the skin while leaving the meat perfect, but it sure works. You can salt and pepper the skin before cooking or whatever you want, but do not add oil or butter or any fat on the skin, and do not baste.

We call that skin chicken bacon, it’s crispy and tangy and delicious. Save the liquid for dipping the chicken in, or broth, or a base for cooking other stuff.

(Karen) #12

Under cook chicken a little bit so it doesn’t dry out. No higher than 165 * in the middle.

And what velvet says ^^^^

(Insert witty quote here) #13

That sounds delicious! Thank you!

(Bunny) #14

Temporarily supplementing with Ox bile might help making digesting a higher fat diet more tolerable until he adapts:

Not eating enough dietary fat[4] is what causes gallstones[4] because dietary fat is what makes bile[4].

Footnotes:

[1] Never Take Bile Salts with These 3 Conditions

[2] 10 Things to Increase Bile (from the Gallbladder)

[3] “…So, today I learned that a diet devoid of fat and super hypocaloric (like the Pritikin potato diet) can indeed produce ketones if insulin is low enough and bile is not released. Why bile? Because when it is reabsorbed in the intestines it stimulates hepatic glycogen storage. No bile, less glycogen. Combine that with inadequate calories and the glucose will go preferentailly to muscle. No liver glycogen, ketone production switched to “on” position. …” …More

[4] DATA:

1. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1253434/
  1. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22134222
  1. http://www.jbc.org/content/120/2/647.full.pdf+html
  1. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16745949
  1. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22780848
  1. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2051633/pdf/brmedj03649-0003.pdf
  1. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1394737/
  1. The Sweet Truth About Liver and Egg Yolks — Choline Matters More to Fatty Liver Than Sugar, Alcohol, or Fat

Actually, with the above recipe you almost can’t overcook it, as long as you leave moisture in there and the skin is on top…I got sidetracked one time and had one in there for almost two hours and it was still perfect, not a dry spot, not a stringy spot… since chicken has so much fat under the skin, it’s self basting the meat under the skin, keeping it all moist and delicious. It tastes even better if overcooked. Very different from all other ways to cook chicken.

(Windmill Tilter) #16

Do mean cut it all the way along the spine and flatten it e.g. spatchcocking? I can’t picture how you’d flatten it after cutting at the wishbone/breastbone.

You can cut along either back or front I guess - the only difference is where the legs end up. Otherwise it’s the same. You can easily flatten it either way. I find it cooks more uniformly if you cut along the breast.

(Windmill Tilter) #18

Interesting. I’ll have to give that a try. Thanks for the tip!

In this house, the skin never makes it to the plate, it’s soo good. Like I said - chicken bacon. :slight_smile:

(Bunny) #20

image link

Real crispy chicken (like bacon) and bricks:

What the heck is brick chicken - Now You’re Cookin’ with Manitoba Chicken

You can do it in a pan to!