Looking for recipes for sensitive tummies

That image removes the backbone (spine) and flavor goes with it. It also makes the legs stick out and since they are thin they will be prone to overcooking.

(Bunny) #22

Maybe only cut one side?

If you cut along the front instead of the back and flatten it, the legs will stay snug to the body. And the backbone in the middle will impart juice and flavor…

(Bunny) #24

That method sounds tastier, much juicier and cooks in the fat!

My roommate buys skinless chicken breasts :roll_eyes: (wrap in bacon but don’t tell :shushing_face:)

I don’t like cooking with skinless chicken, it’s too easy to dry it out and it has no flavor. The water/oven way, it needs no spice really, it is flavorful and tangy. and the remaining water is wonderful broth.

To check if it’s done, I grab a fork or something and wriggle a leg. If it starts to come apart easily at the joint, it’s done. So, you kind of cook it longer than usual.

(Insert witty quote here) #27

I have a non stick roasting pan and want to try @velvet’s chicken. If I cook it exactly at 400, is it safe? My son has asthma. I don’t want to cause a flare up, if that’s a risk. Otherwise, I can use a glass casserole dish.

Sorry if that’s a stupid question. I’ve heard of Teflon being toxic, but I thought it was when it started to flake off, not just from being overheated.

If you have a pet bird, and it inhales overheated Teflon fumes, it dies. That ought to tell you. I have asthma also. :slight_smile: I would not use Teflon around a person who is already breathing impaired. Glass is good if the dish is roomy enough to accommodate a whole chicken in a water bath without touching the edges of the dish.

(Windmill Tilter) #29

I forget the exact temp where teflon off-gasses, but now that I think about it, it may have been up higher towards the broil range of 550F. I’m pretty sure teflon is fine at chicken roasting temps of 350F-400F. Sorry about that.

I prefer glass, cast iron, or stainless over teflon, but that’s a personal preference.

Yep, the Teflon has to overheat. Like forgetting the pan you have on the stove… It’s just safer not to use it when there are breathing impaired people around - err on the side of caution. Not all non-stick is Teflon, but there is so much unregulated stuff coming out of China that it is virtually impossible to determine whether your non-stick is Teflon. I also stick with glass, stainless and cast iron. I make an exception for my chaffle iron - because I watch it all the time while cooking and would intervene if it got too hot. Using non-stick in projects where you walk away from it is just too iffy if you have asthma - it could end up killing you, but at the very least it would be extremely stressful to try to keep breathing. Not worth the risk, IMO.

(Insert witty quote here) #31

I just remembered I have a great big cast iron pan! Thanks everyone!

(JJ) #32

Just traipsing through the forums now looking for info and wanted to thank you for your (as always!) thorough, well referenced responses @atomicspacebunny

I have had what I assume is biliary colic on and off for years, but since being keto for the last 17 months, I have not had a flare. It came back with a vengeance this week though, typical gall symptoms, upper right quadrant pain with onset right after eating, nausea/vomit from the pain and plenty of gurgling sounds emanating from up under my ribs. I am chronically constipated, but hadn’t really attributed that to possible gall bladder issues as I had mistakenly thought that diarrhea was the more common bowel knock on effect.
I have 4x of the “5 F’s” of gall-related issues covered; I am fertile, fourty, fair, female…no longer fat though :wink:

I am a healthcare worker myself, always reticent to seek out medical help myself though unless absolutely necessary as I know how the system works and I know what I will be told at this point. I am not stupidly stubborn and will seek treatment if it becomes more of a problem, but I know the traditional advice I will receive at this point is to consider doing away with my gall bladder.

So. I have ordered some ox bile.

I am extremely interested to see how supplementing with bile salts plays out for me. So many of my similarly aged peers are sans gall bladder. I am reluctant to even disclose my own troubles to them as they will criticise keto as being the cause…despite none of them eating keto and yet having the same issue.