Looking for an alternative to Bulletproof coffee

(Kira) #41

This here is an Early Grey with milk addict. Been so for erm, 40 years. :open_mouth: The odd coffee I also had with lots of milk, no sugar either.
Started Keto 4 weeks ago and was introduced to BPC. Complained about the cost of MCT oil (30+ Euros per litre!), so my nutritionist said: “start with 15-20mg of desodorised coconut oil”. That’s the coconut oil that has no taste to it. I did, not forgetting about my milk, and for the first time I quite like coffee in the mornings. It actually replaced breakfast (that I never had either). So in the mornings, I have my normal cuppa and around 10am I have this pseudo BPC coffee. It really does help me through midday, not feeling hungry at all. I have a small meal around 2 pm and then dinner around 5pm. No cravings in between or in the evenings.
So yes, BPC or my version of it, tells my body there is no need for “food”.

My nutritionist told me to avoid MCT oil as a beginner, as it tends to make people vomit front or back, and when I start taking it (after 10 weeks into keto eating), I should take it SLOW.

(KCKO, KCFO) #42

I just use cream in my morning coffees, never felt the need for MCT oil. For a change I do use coconut oil at times, but usually do great with just the cream.

I take it you like Capt. Picard, since you like Earl Grey tea, hot. :tea:

(Kira) #43

:heart_eyes: Absolutely. I think he’s hot, too.

I use cream in my coffee, I’m heavily addicted, but my limit is two mugs of coffee with cream. But I couldn’t get by without coffee, or cream for that matter. As to benefits I’m not really sure there are any besides the general boost of energy that caffeine gives you, I’d be a zombie without. Also it’s an appetite suppressant, and I find sometimes if I’m feeling really tired or lazy it also works as a meal or dessert.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #45

Over the years I’ve seen claims that coffee is good on keto because it stimulates ketogenesis, and claims that coffee is bad on keto, because it inhibits ketogenesis. Interestingly to me, the word is always “coffee” and never “caffeine,” nor are any similar claims ever made about tea or other drinks that contain caffeine, so if there really is an effect one way or the other, it’s not got anything to do with caffeine.

I’ve seen a few comments saying that the theobromine in coffee is the magic ingredient, but that can’t be true, because otherwise people would be touting (or warning against) hot chocolate on keto, because it contains a lot more theobromine and less caffeine than coffee does.

At any rate, I don’t worry about my coffee consumption, I just enjoy it! :coffee: :bacon::bacon:

(Robin) #46

Coffee (decaf) with heavy whipping cream ALL DAY LONG.
Period

I’m with you, except I don:t drink decaf. But after two mugs of coffee if I still want cream I just eat it on its own, delicious.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #48

I’ve found that if you pour a bit of carbonated water into the cream, it foams up nicely. A bit reminiscent of an egg cream. (The New Yorkers in the crowd will know what I mean.)

Huh, I never knew that. Does it taste as good? I’ve purchased a jar as I saw on youtube you could just pour the whipping cream into one and shake it until it properly looks and tastes like whipped cream. As I don’t have a blender and lack both arm strength and patience I’m going to try that.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #50

Shaking or beating will easily turn heavy cream into whipped cream. Go one step further, and you will have butter.

An electric appliance is not required to whip cream or to make butter, just stir vigourously enough to incorporate air into the fat globules, and that will do it. The main difference between whipped cream and butter is just how long one keeps stirring.