Live experiment part 5.3: eating nothing, what happens?

(Alec) #1

Ok, here we go again. This time I am establishing what happens when I eat nothing.

I have had the same lead up to all the other tests I have done, except I have done a 5 day fast last week. Ended it yesterday evening, and have had 2 meals since then. Am hoping/expecting it won’t confound the results, but it may.

5 mins ago I took my first reading (below), and the plan this week is to simply eat nothing, and see what happens to compare vs the other tests. Not that interesting, but someone might be interested!

See ya in 30.

Blood Glucose Monitoring for Dummies
(Alec) #2

T+30, eaten nothing, last meal was 4 hours ago. BG down in last 30 mins… interesting. I wonder where we will go in the next 2hrs.

(Alec) #3

T+60 fall continues… this is not inconsistent with what happened during previous tests.

See ya in 30.

(Alec) #4

T+90, stable…

(Alec) #5

T+120, still descreasing… now 4.3. So I think we can conclude from this that the normal level of my BG is a slowly decreasing level. I may see what it goes to in an hour or 2.

(Terence Dean) #6

What’s your reading first thing in the morning?

(Alec) #7

This morning at 7.20 I was at 4.8. I think that’s slightly elevated by the morning effect.

(Terence Dean) #8

Mine was 4.7 yesterday taken as soon as I got out of bed, don’t know how much it was affected by that dawn effect but I was 5.5 this morning after doing my n=1 experiment. I expect that should drop back to my previous reading by tomorrow. How long would you wait to clear the morning effect?

(Alec) #9

The days that I test I always do a morning run, then breakfast (usually eggs Benedict!), so the dawn effect is swamped by other insulin effecting events.

(Alec) #10

T+180, back up to 4.6… what does that mean? Noise?

(German Ketonian) #11

Definitely noise, IMHO. Keep in mind that the home BG tests have a fairly big error term (around 5-10%, IIRC). I only consider changes beyond 10 mg/dl as relevant. Statistically speaking, this is to account for the confidence interval.