Little treats turn into big cheats

(Linda) #1

Professional dieter here, started at 155 over 45 yrs ago, yoyoed up to 255, have been over 200 for past 8 yrs. Started KETO May ‘18 skeptical but willing, lost 17 lbs by end of June, weighing 210. Was amazed by other effects of Keto: almost never hungry, no cravings, pain level very decreased, more energy. Enter vaca in Quebec, had little treat of maple bacon, have been struggling in and out of ketosis since. Went to birthday patry 10 days and have pretty binged on carbs at least once a day since, now back to215 and feel TERRIBLE! Skin rashes, IBS, heartburn, high pain levels and constant cravings, feel far worse than 1st 2 weeks on keto. Need advice, suggestions for getting back on track. I know absolutely keto is where I need to be for my health. I’m 70, retired, married to a meat & potatoes man whose meals I fix as well as mine. We eat out a lot and take frequent vacations. There’s just got to be a way to do this. Any help/suggestions from more experienced on this journey?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

It happens, so don’t beat yourself up about it, just get back on the horse, as we say. It may help to think of a ketogenic diet as a way of life, especially if you can focus on the long-term benefits.

The A.A. expression about drinking is “One is too many, and a thousand aren’t enough.” For me, it applies to sugar and carbs, just as well. I find abstinence far easier to manage than moderation where my former favorite foods are concerned. Fortunately, I never used to binge on leafy greens ( :smile: ), so I can at least have salads without fear, and if I am getting enough fat otherwise, some broccoli or cauliflower at supper is fairly easy not to binge on. I find it pretty easy most nights to get away with cooking a meat dish and to provide salad and/or a keto vegetable of some kind. For those occasions when the sugar-burners need some carbs, it’s not too hard to provide some rice or potatoes for them, and I avoid temptation by cooking very little and letting them serve themselves first—that way, usually the “bad” carbs are all gone, and I don’t have to be tempted.

As far as eating out is concerned, steakhouses and diners are the best places for ordering meat and a salad or safe vegetable. Most diners serve breakfast food round the clock, so I can always fall back on bacon and eggs. Ribeye steak and a green salad with blue cheese dressing is always a good option, or steak and eggs with a side of bacon and sausage, hold the toast and home fries. The good thing is that most restaurant workers are used to people not wanting carby side dishes these days, so they don’t bat an eye when you ask them to hold the potatoes, and a lot of places will provide you an extra portion of vegetable instead. If I fill up on fat, then it’s easy to pass on dessert.

Good luck to you, and keep us updated on how things are going. :bacon:

(Brian) #3

One meal at a time, Linda. :slight_smile:

Focus on what you’re going to eat this next meal and make it a good, satisfying, keto meal. You know how. You can do it. Eat enough and be satisfied.

Don’t worry about tomorrow or next week or next year. Just focus on this next meal. If you eat in, you know what’s in your pantry and fridge. If it’s eating out, you know what they have that you can eat without guilt. Focus on the good things that you CAN eat and on enjoying them thoroughly. You can do this!

:slight_smile:

(Linda) #4

Thank you, Paul and Brian, for the encouraging words. I hope I never forget yesterday as my digestive track sent me a cousin to Montezuma’s Revenge as payment for stuffing myself wit h really bad carbs. I read someone’s post that said just count the carbs and stop when you get to 20. Replace carbs with good fats, eat the same amount of protein, make it high quality, and that’s it. So that’s what my daily plan is. I was making it too complicated with counting calories, macros, etc. I feel much better today, so thankful for this forum.