Lifting and workout after fasting - this time keto

fasting

(Zu) #1

SO… I have fasted a bit you could say. In the past I have broken fasts with a diverse range of WOE’s…
After a long fast, assimilating carbs is a nightmare… bloating and awful weight gain… However, not so with keto (yeay)

What I have also noticed over the last few days is this: and I was wondering if anyone else has noticed…

I began working out, lifting, jogging, aerobics, cross-country, and off road biking… I felt compelled to - of course - because of my psycho energy levels which are so high its borderline annoying for myself and those around me…

BUT my findings are:
That instead of that nasty first week of sore muscles that normally happens when you start working out again - my muscles (as modest as they are) are actually tingling for more exercise and not sore one bit = all due to keto - as its the only variable in my experiment…

Secondly… Usually after taking such a long break and fasting the daylights out of my self… (7 dry, 7 water and another 8 dry a few weeks previous) I WOULD USUALLY have to start all over again with my weights starting back at ground zero lifting tiny things, not eve the bar lol, small sets, low reps, and pathetically light… even aerobics/runs/exercise in general I would have to start out so small… NOT THIS TIME with my keto fuel…

NOPE… started lifting from where I left off, no going back to square one for me, I just walked right in at the weight I was lifting prior to fasting… Which i have never been able to do… I am usually TIRED, SORE, and weak as…
I feel like a new lease on life, and my old lease wasn’t even bad, which say lots about this lease!

Does anyone else have these findings with regards to exercise after fasting on keto?

PS… I used to sleep a 8pm and wake at 4:30am every day… Now I cannot sleep till midnight and everyone in my house begs me to sleep earlier, but i CANT!!! too much energy (sending people nuts!) lol… inspired to lift/run/anything late at night!

(Deb) #2

Absolutely! My performance doing high intensity Zumba especially has rocked. When everyone else is panting and gasping, I’m like, next song!
And yes about muscle soreness too. It’s awesome being this in control of your body!

(Zu) #3

Ya! I just turned 31 but I give the kids a run for their money. Luvs it!
Oh wow! Sounds like keto really improves us on the stamina side if things Isn’t it the best not feeling drained, and being full if life! My only problem is getting to sleep lol

(Deb) #4

Yes it does. A lot of research has been done on this…look up Prof Tim Noakes.

And sleep…yeah, sometimes not easy!

(Zu) #5

Deb the best part of it for me is keeping warm! I have low blood pressure (doc says healthy) but I used to always be freezing even in summer… Now I’m warm in the cold and cool in the heat!

Will defs look into that research, thanks!

I always fast before lifting. To me more specific, I mean nothing other than water/tea/coffee for 8 to 24 hours.

Other physical activities are a separate matter for me. I can burn a boat load of calories kayaking (pun intended) and I’m relatively lean so no intentions of fasting there.

I have no experience with breaking a fast with carbs. I’m keto outside of a rare cheat (once a quarter maybe) and target <30g per day. After a 72 hours fast - something I rarely do - I start with a small keto-friendly snack.

I haven’t found this to be the case. I’ve been keto for a few years now, but lifted for quite a few years before that. Back then I did not fast before a workouts either.

If I take a break from lifting for a while I will experience DOMS. When I alter my routine (e.g. movements, volume, intensity) I may experience DOMS. As far as I can tell, neither pre-workout fasts or keto have a noticeable impact for me.

IIRC the research related to post exercise muscle soreness suggests who feels it and when and to what degree is variable by individual (i.e. two people, same workout, different experience).

I can’t say I’ve experienced a difference here either, but I have not tried to test this exactly. You’ve got a lot of variables in play here.

I wouldn’t worry too much about some changes in the weight you’re lifting. Just like with many things, trends are more telling than single data points. If I were to take three weeks off I would not expect to start exactly where I left off (for no other reason than not having practiced a movement).

I usually sleep about 6 hours on keto. On the rare occasion I’ve done multi-day fasts, I sleep a little less. On days I lift in the evening, I sometimes go to sleep later and/or sleep less, but have never nailed down whether its the activity or the post-work meal.