Let's Revisit "The Plant Paradox" by Dr. Steven Gundry

science
vegetables
intermittentfasting

(Rob) #7

That old diet was a metric tonne of calories and carbs (if you meant 2-3 cups of nuts and a Vitality Dragon Bowl), though I’m sure it was appropriate to your physical demands, etc. Back of the envelope is about 3400kcal and about 260 carbs.

To switch to a ZC diet is a massive change so it’s not surprising that it is a bit of a shock to the system and feels pretty restrictive.

Is there a middle ground, e.g. adding veg (all the standard ones on Gundry’s list are keto except sweet potato (and onion)) to the meaty meals, having low carb/high fat salads (to take for lunch?), LC curry with cauliflower rice, etc. Macadamias are low-carb/high fat (but pricey in the quantities you might get through :grin:). Not sure about lectins in those. Focus on getting keto benefits but not via ZC. I think we can square that with Gundry’s philosophy?

(Bunny) #8

I equate Dr. Gundry (the master of Tom Foolery) to an old huckster looking to make a buck on information already their but explained in a different context claiming his own research. The man really discusts me! I have never seen anyone so carelessly and recklessly manipulate data like this man has!

(Dan Dan) #9

He claims Humans consuming Splenda will kill off 50% of their ‘gut microflora’ :thinking:

In the study, Splenda sweetener, which contains 1.1% of actual sucralose and the rest fillers, was administered to rats at Splenda dosages that contained sucralose at 1.1-11 mg/kg (the US FDA Acceptable Daily Intake for sucralose is 5 mg/kg). Now relate this amount to a human.

Assuming that the same effects would be observed in a human, and that follow-up studies get similar results, how much Splenda is this for a 60kg person, or a person that weighs only 140 pounds? To get the minimum you need to repeat this 60 times, which comes out to be 60 packets of Splenda and the maximum is 10 times that at 600 packets a day :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Now compare this to me at 91kg and my favorite drink mix contains 5 packets per liter would be 18 liters minimum and 180 liters maximum a day :open_mouth:

I drink 3 liters so I think I’m safe :wink:

Here is the study that was funded by the Sugar Association :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Splenda alters gut microflora and increases intestinal p-glycoprotein and cytochrome p-450 in male rats.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?cmd=Search&term=splenda+and+Abou-Donia+and+El-Masry+and+Abdel-Rahman+and+Schiffman&doptcmdl=Books

Is Splenda Inadequately Tested and Unsafe?
An Expert Panel conducted a rigorous evaluation of this study. In arriving at its conclusions, the Expert Panel considered the design and conduct of the study, its outcomes and the outcomes reported in other data available publicly. The Expert Panel found that the study was deficient in several critical areas and that its results cannot be interpreted as evidence that either Splenda, or sucralose, produced adverse effects in male rats, including effects on gastrointestinal microflora, body weight, CYP450 and P-gp activity, and nutrient and drug absorption. The study conclusions are not consistent with published literature and not supported by the data presented.

(Dan Dan) #10

He freely admits that the weight he lost and touts throughout the video is not typical :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

As for the rest of his claims they can be easily gained on a ketogenic diet :wink:

(Doug) #11

Agreed, Bunny. He is pretty well at the far end of the spectrum, i.e. the bad end.

(Bunny) #12

Exactly, the “plant paradox” book (an excuse to eat too much sugar) needs a name change by coining it the ‘sugar paradox’ (would do it more justice). The book would not exist if acknowledgement was to the ketogenic diet which really is the premise on which his frame work is based! Take away the sugar (Advanced Glycation End-products AGE’s) and lectins are no longer a culprit when gut flora biome are in good standing.

(Daniel) #13

so I use his prebiothrive, and it’s worked pretty well for me. I find my sugar cravings are way more manageable for me when I take it. Maybe it’s placebo, maybe it’s not, but I don’t see a reason to stop taking it so far.

(Dan Dan) #14

There are lots of topics and posts on gut health here just use the search feature :smiley:

Members have posted videos and research and opinions on gut health :wink:

(Daniel) #15

is this your nice way of telling me to shut up? because that’s how it’s coming across

(Dan Dan) #16

My comment was in response to your comment, letting you know that this forum has covered gut health many times.

How you got that anybody told you to shut up or stop is beyond me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Daniel) #17

I know how a forum works, thanks. I offered my personal experience with an on-topic product. Didn’t ask any questions, but you do you.

(Veronica C) #18

Hi there,

I guess I am too forgiving about human nature. Anyone who’s written a book can be suspected of trying to make a buck. SO I urge a little tolerance, here. Like I said in my initial post, he probable does not NEED to make extra money.

In his book, The Plan Paradox (that I checked out from the library - I have 0 money invested), he states several times that you don’t need to purchase his supplements.

The main premise of his book is to alert us to some of the ways plant proteins, lectins, can cause damage to those that are susceptible - several autoimmune-type conditions. I have thrown out the cashews and I feel a lot better and my alopecia has resolved. No harm, no foul - I don’t need to eat cashews.

I appreciate his (are restricted) keto diet.

(Doug) #19

Veronica, he may well have some valuable concepts in the book. I’m just used to hearing people being really mad because of his business practices. Personally, I’ve never had any dealings with him (I am glad of that).

Would you consider the Plant Paradox diet a keto diet? I remember reading in his book that he was on a keto diet, but he does not recommend limiting carbs in his book, just eat according to the yes / no list (attached). Also, he does not recommend saturated fats.Plant-Paradox-Shopping-LIst.pdf (583.1 KB)

(Veronica C) #21

Hello! Dr Gundry dedicates a whole chapter in The Plant Paradox to the Ketogenie WOE. Not everyone has the same goals in determining their personal WOE, so not everyone needs to eat a Ketognic WOE. The saturated fats conundrum … this is my current deep-dive personal research project and I will muddle through the best I can (@richard might need to help me out here with his biochemistry / genetics expertise). One needs to know their Apo E4 gene status see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfr9RPq0HFg&t=1s (I think @amber asks the first question at the conclusion)

I fit all indicators of having this gene mutation (I love cheese) so I am pondering abandoning coconut oil for my ancestral EVOO (I am half Greek). I wish @dudes would invite Dr. Gundry on their podcast for an in-depth interview. I quickly wrote a book recap that was relevant to me at the time I first read it (attached). Good luck with meeting your lectin free goals! Veronica
Keto Gundry Foods - Preferred by Veronica.pdf (137.8 KB)

Another thing that stood out to me when I read this book was that he said if you want to have a long life, eat mostly vegetables and eat very little meat, as this is the common attribute shared by all blue zones. Most people on the keto diet eat mostly meat, right?

(Veronica C) #23

It all depends on your goals IMHO. I am “a woman of a certain age” and I am interested in health span and longevity - my protein goals are aligned with these interests.

One does not need to eat meat to be keto - see a post on The Diet Doctor:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/vegetarian

Lots of food choices!

(Karen) #24

I read through your synopsis of the plant paradox. Very useful. One of the things I noticed that he keeps suggesting was cooking your vegetables in a pressure cooker and eating them cooked instead of raw because it kills the lectins

(Karen) #25

I sent this article off to my daughter who is an ovo lacto pescatarian. I’m trying to shift her to Keto, because she has mood issues and ankylosing spondylitis

(Veronica C) #26

I think it depend on the vegetables - you need to pressure cook tomatoes and squash (summertime hint!)