Let's Revisit "The Plant Paradox" by Dr. Steven Gundry

science
vegetables
intermittentfasting

(Veronica C) #21

Hello! Dr Gundry dedicates a whole chapter in The Plant Paradox to the Ketogenie WOE. Not everyone has the same goals in determining their personal WOE, so not everyone needs to eat a Ketognic WOE. The saturated fats conundrum … this is my current deep-dive personal research project and I will muddle through the best I can (@richard might need to help me out here with his biochemistry / genetics expertise). One needs to know their Apo E4 gene status see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfr9RPq0HFg&t=1s (I think @amber asks the first question at the conclusion)

I fit all indicators of having this gene mutation (I love cheese) so I am pondering abandoning coconut oil for my ancestral EVOO (I am half Greek). I wish @dudes would invite Dr. Gundry on their podcast for an in-depth interview. I quickly wrote a book recap that was relevant to me at the time I first read it (attached). Good luck with meeting your lectin free goals! Veronica
Keto Gundry Foods - Preferred by Veronica.pdf (137.8 KB)

Another thing that stood out to me when I read this book was that he said if you want to have a long life, eat mostly vegetables and eat very little meat, as this is the common attribute shared by all blue zones. Most people on the keto diet eat mostly meat, right?

(Veronica C) #23

It all depends on your goals IMHO. I am “a woman of a certain age” and I am interested in health span and longevity - my protein goals are aligned with these interests.

One does not need to eat meat to be keto - see a post on The Diet Doctor:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/vegetarian

Lots of food choices!

(Karen) #24

I read through your synopsis of the plant paradox. Very useful. One of the things I noticed that he keeps suggesting was cooking your vegetables in a pressure cooker and eating them cooked instead of raw because it kills the lectins

(Karen) #25

I sent this article off to my daughter who is an ovo lacto pescatarian. I’m trying to shift her to Keto, because she has mood issues and ankylosing spondylitis

(Veronica C) #26

I think it depend on the vegetables - you need to pressure cook tomatoes and squash (summertime hint!)

(Karen) #27

Do you Suppose canned tomatoes are cooked under high enough pressure to eliminate the lectins?

(Edith) #28

I am currently reading “The Plant Paradox.” I have to admit, I am a little suspicious about what he writes particularly about plant lectins. I looked through his citation list (just the list, I didn’t read any of the papers) and there are very few papers that mention lectins in their titles. I’d like to know where all his information about plant lectins came from.

I also think his suggestion of only wild caught fish, grass fed meat is too expensive for a lot of people and his protein quantity is too low.

Finally, is it possible that the people in the anecdotal stories improved their health just by eating whole food?

(Veronica C) #29

I got serious to meet my weight loss/ metabolic marker goals (at 56 it wasn’t going to get easier) - whole good keto feasting and 3-24 hr fasting days per week in May 2018. In December 2018, in the midst of a 6-wk plateau, I re-read this book (and extensively researched my genes I wanted to suppress). I gave up A1 protein dairy, limited protein (Ala Ron Rosedale), and eliminated lectins. I have lost over 40 pounds, my HS-crp went from above 3 to .65, and my fasting insulin went from 8 to 1.5. Every body is different. I was skeptical of the lack of studies supporting his theories. The papers he cites are specific, but the narrative he weaves around them is compelling. He is an acclaimed physician who loves his wife and dogs- I trust him. But every body has to make their own determination.

(Karen) #30

So if you have limited protein and no A1 dairy what does a normal meal look like to you? A day?

(Veronica C) #31

VEGGIES - Brussels sprouts, asparagus, salad greens, cauliflower, bok choy, coated in high quality olive oil with a slice of Greek feta or topped with 2 EVOO-fried quality eggs. I don’t eat too much protein - but the EVOO coated veg is filling.

(Karen) #32

I’m Certainly interested in helping some issues such as arthritis, and my low thyroid, but… I really want to lose weight. Looks like you lost a bunch. I also like legumes. It looks like as long as they are pressure cooked you should be able to eat some. I’m carrying a lot of fat but my hba1c Is normal. I have never been diagnosed as insulin resistance.