Lazy "egg-drop" soup

(Steve) #1

This’ll likely offend anyone with a real egg-drop soup recipe (and doesn’t really deserve a thread of it’s own), but I did this a week ago and getting a bit addicted to it. :slight_smile: So, I thought I’d share.

When you’re going to have some bouillon to get your Sodium up, do yourself a favour.

Crack a large egg into the boiling bouillon (be quick to break the yolk as soon as it hits the liquid so it doesn’t stay whole). Once it comes back to a boil, it’s done.

I add 1T of Frank’s hot sauce to it - gives it a nice flavour (I’m one of those that doesn’t find Frank’s hot…too many suicide wings in my youth) :wink: so, increase/decrease to your own taste. (Louisiana’s pretty much the same as Frank’s). I like the flavour that it adds to the broth.

100 calories, 8g Fat, 2g Carbs, 7g Protein, 2800mg Sodium, 67mg Potassium

Feel free to add a tablespoon or two of butter to it, if you need to get more fat into your day. :slight_smile:

(Doug) #2

Interesting, Steve; will try it.

Agreed - Frank’s (and the like) is good, but can drink it by the glassful.

(Steve) #3

Heh…I actually did that one time at Lone Star (tex-mex chain in Canada - not sure if it’s in the US as well). Was very, very inebriated and grabbed the open Louisiana bottle on the table rather than my beer bottle - heh - three swallows before I realized it wasn’t beer. :smiley:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

My cousin Pedro, who grew up in Mexico City, says you have to keep up your immunity, however. After several years of living in the U.S., he went home for a visit. While there, he went to his favorite local taco stand and ordered his usual sauce—and nearly died from the pain! And this was the guy who used to laugh at the gringo tourists for doing the same thing! But he hadn’t kept up his immunity . . . . :smiley:

(Doug) #5

Indeed, Paul - in high school a Mexican exchange student was eating lots of these little hot peppers (don’t know what they were) - I mean he was just throwing them down. Liking hot stuff and confident of my prowess, I asked for one. Heh, put me in my place.