Laurel or Yanny?

(Candy Lind) #41

I finally figured out what you guys were talking about. I heard Yanny all the way and I’m 63. The “Laurel” end of the slide sounded more like “Yammy;” - I never heard Laurel at all.

I heard Yanny when I played it on my Samsung phone, but when I tried it just now using good quality headphones, I heard Laurel. (Don’t know that it matters, but I’m 56.)

(Wendy) #43

Yes changing speakers made a big difference. Very interesting!

When I was a kid watching TV-- on the Hallmark commercials I thought their slogan was, "when you carry enough, ($$) to send the very best. At least that what I heard.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #45

John Carroll, a columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle fifteen years ago, used to call them “Mondegreens.” He heard this folk song in childhood about some guy; they shot him “and Lady Mondegreen” (i.e., “laid him on the green”). He would run a column once a year soliciting people’s mis-hearings of popular songs and would publish the best of them in his column.

(Diane) #46

My sister likes to sing along loudly with songs while cleaning house. I nearly laughed myself silly years ago when I heard her singing along to the Oak Ridge Boy’s Elvira. She thought they were saying hell fire ‘em up