(Candy Lind) #21

Ya never know who you might offend with an acronym. :rofl:

(Troy) #22

Yanny…every time about 3 hours ago…clearly
NOW …laurel…clearly😳

So it’s not these “ funny “ mushrooms causing this then?:joy:
I can now just sauté in butter

(Brad) #23

I heard Yanny twice then Laurel crystal clear after that. Weird wild stuff!

(Susan Lawrence) #24

Laurel 3/4 of the way then yanny. 66 years old if that matters.

(Rob) #25

First time (on TV) - Yanny - obviously

Then the NYT slider thingy…

Middle mark - Laurel - obviously
One click to the right - Yanny - natch
Back to middle - Laurel - duh
One click to the right (again) - Laurel - goddamit!!!

Now it it Laurel to the penultimate click on the right - WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?

Just went back… it is both… mostly Laurel but it finishes Yanny :exploding_head::loudspeaker:

47, normal hearing (I think?)

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #26

I clearly hear laurel over my headset.
will try with speakers when I come home…

Here is some explanation i found : (seems not to have too much to do with your age or how well you hear)

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #27

I tried it.
I never hear yanny.

the last two to the right sound like Ewie to me. like Dewy without a D (or yaly?Haley without the H?! very confusing… ) … I never hear any Ns

(Jay AM) #28

This was freaky. After a few minutes of moving the slider back and forth I could decide which word to hear. I originally heard Laurel. After hearing Yanny with the tool, I could then hear both.

I’m 27 with scarring both ears and mild hearing loss from childhood ear infections.

(Adam Kirby) #29

I’m not sold on this reasoning because I hear Laurel, yet can clearly just the differences in audio examples where the low and high frequencies have been cut out. I think it has to do with the way our brains interpret overtones or something.

(Adam Kirby) #30

Oh man that’s awesome. That’s the only audio manipulation I’ve heard yet where I can actually just Yanny. Or something like it, it’s not really yanny but definitely not Laurel.

(Cara) #31

Yanny! 34yo :sunglasses:

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #32

I think part also might be psychological? Like the brain picks whatever is more familliar?
I don’t know any Yanni but I heard Laurel a lot lately (Bingewatching Arrow on Netflix :sweat_smile:)

(Adam Kirby) #33

So this is fascinating… if I turn the slider all the way to Yanny and then slowly lower back to the center, I can hear Yanny in a much wider range than if I start in the center and slowly move it to the right.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #34

My friend who wanted to slap me first for hearing laurel until i gave him this one with the slider noticed the exact same…

But i didn’t really

(Jane) #35

Laurel. 59 years old.

I was at lunch yesterday with 6 ladies, ranging in age from 30’s to 60’s. Three of us hear Laurel and 3 heard Yanny The oldest in the group hear Yanny, the youngest Laurel so I don’t think age or hearing has anything to do with it.

It was interesting that those of us who hear Laurel said it spoken in low tones and those who heard Yanny said higher pitched sound.

The older lady who heard Yanny said she heard Laurel when we go back to the office and she played it for someone else.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #36

Yanny.
I used the Atlantic’s article and found that one lower than the default it’s Laurel.

This was on computer speakers.

(Shayne) #37

I heard it in surround while watching The Tonight Show on Hulu and it was Yanni every time. Almost 45. ENT says my hearing is perfect (but my daughter would disagree).

(jen merante) #38

interestingly enough I heard “yanny” on my upstairs tv and “laurel” on my downstairs tv. Different bass levels might have affected the results???

(Carmen Stone) #39

Hahahaha!

(Carmen Stone) #40

I hear Yanni. Using the NYTimes slider tool I had to go 3 points to hear Laurel. I’m 50.