Last ditch effort

(Alec) #81

Yes, correct. I have not quite figured out where to go next on this! :slight_smile:

I personally think that if you thrive on stress and it is within your control that it may not cause the cortisol spike. For example, I think the stress of making a plane for someone who is a last minute person is almost pleasureable, it is a nice adrenaline rush v someone like my late father in law who had to be at the airport 3 hours early (he passed away before well before 9/11 when there was no reason to get to the airport early on a domestic flight), traveling with a last minute person would cause tremendous stress.

I like deadlines and working towards them. What I do not like is stress that I have no control over, for example my high school age kid is taking exams. I have no control over how s/he will do so I stress about it. Someone who is type A would have the former stress, not the latter. The stress is about making deadlines and projects which if they are good at their job is within their control

(Alec) #83

Totally agree: what is stressful to one person is a joy to another. So it is always our own personal response to the stressor that is important, not the external event itself. Which is why trying to limit our stress responses is a useful thought process: this is internal, not external.
Cheers
A