Lard

(Rebecca) #1

So the other week I went to the butcher and purchased 3kg of pig fat so that I could make lard for my deep fryer.

I had 2 fry pans going to make the lard.
)

I had these yummy little pieces of fat heaven as snacks. Any idea on how long these would last in the fridge?

This is the result.

So I haven’t actually used this yet but have some questions for the deep frying lard experts out there. I know @Brenda is one of those.

1. Once food is fried in the deep fryer do you strain the lard before using it again to remove any food bits that might be in it?
  2. If you deep frying something like chicken skins does it matter about the chicken fat being added to the lard?

I am thinking the first thing I am going to use this for is to deep fry some Haloumi. Yummo.:drooling_face::cheese:

(Sophie) #2

We always strained ours through a paper towel over a coffee can. We used the same oil for veggies and meats for several times until it went “off”. The only time we used “fresh” oil for was any seafood/fish. It’s not so great to fry cheese in oil that you used for catfish. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And when I saw your last picture I thought, man you could make some lovely soap with that lard! :grinning:

(Rebecca) #3

Thanks @JustPeachy. Yeah cheesy catfish doesn’t sound real nice.

It does look very soapy.

(Sophie) #4

Lard yields a nice, firm bar of soap with great sudsy action!

Edit to remove my stoopid logo lol

(Jennifer Fawcett) #5

Reminds me of Fight Club lol.

(Keto in Katy) #6

Praise the lard. :pray:

I just save mine from pastured raised bacon, by baking them in oven for 20-24minutes (from unheated) at 300*F. It seem to be the right time and temperature for the fat to not be damaged and still remain white, and the bacon to not be burned. Although some people prefer their bacon more burnt and crisp, I don’t burn my meat.