Lard - Nutrition and Info

showmethescience

(Troy) #1

Some decent 1-28-2019 press on Lard🙂

“However, recent high-level evidence has shown that saturated fat is NOT the artery-clogging danger as once thought.”

(Running from stupidity) #2

Good, because my wife used some of the lard I made the other week for tonight’s dinner, and said the minced garlic cooked up really nicely in it, and it was really good overall.

(Running from stupidity) #3

Ummm, what?

The peroxide value, which indicates oxidation products, didn’t start to rise in lard until temperatures over 150°C, and it rose slowly. On the other hand, the peroxide values for the vegetable oils rose rapidly after only 3 minutes.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Nice to see a decent article for a change!

Plus the fact that pork fat was No. 8 in a recent top 100 of the most nutritious foods. That was the only red meat product on the list, all the rest were fruit, veges and seafood etc

It says “A good source of B vitamins and minerals. Pork fat is more unsaturated and healthier than lamb or beef fat.”

(Todd Batitis) #6

Eye opening. I have been using it liberally but looking at the Omega 6:3 ratio, which is something I am working to get down in me, I will have to be a bit less liberal with it apparently.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

Cook with butter then. Its ratio is 1:1.

(Todd Batitis) #8

I do that too but where did you get that ratio? The searching I came up with showed that the makeup of 1 tablespoon (about 13g) came out to 44.1mg of Omega 3 to 382mg of Omega 6. That was from https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/0/2

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

Don’t know where I got that idea. I may have been thinking of the ratio of saturated to monounsaturated fat, since they are both in the neighborhood of 48%.

A quick search of the USDA food composition database shows that 100 g of salted butter contains 0.315 g of ω-3 (ALA) and no ω-6 fatty acids.

(Alex ) #10

it makes a superb omelette cooking fat too, especially if you’ve rendered it yourself off a pork joint and it has some of the flavour, sure I read that the smoke point was also one of the best/highest as well for frying?