Konjac

Look at these two funny Japanese chaps making Carbonara with shirataki noodles.
They have ideas for putting flavour into the noodles before using them as an ingredient: and I guess other powders (onion powder, garlic powder, fresh herbs…) could also be used.

https://rockymountainkidsneuro.com/hl/?/21743/Glucomannan

This seems to be a reasonable review of research concerning konjac.

And here is how to make konjac noodles at home:

She makes noodles with oat flour - same as the noodles from Holland and Barrett - but they don’t cost £2.50 a portion. And there’s another recipe using tofu.

I didn’t want to start a new thread. But I do have an anecdote to report from last night.

My little brother and mum are both diabetic and on Sunday nights they have dinner together from a Japanese restaurant to share pan-fried pork dumplings and vegetarian dumplings. Like most people they see that the ingredient is pork or vegetables, but don’t ask what the dumpling casing is made from. I explained that it is a dough made from wheat flour. Basically, it is a form of white bread.

They love their Japanese food night and I had gone and wrecked it for them. But Japanese is not just eating dumplings. They avoid the sushi because of the obvious rice carbs. They are not a fan of the sashimi like I am. They gag at the idea of seaweed, which I enjoy. So I brought along a beef curry made with konjac flour noodles to see if that may be an acceptable replacement.

It was eaten. Probably because their appetite was spiked. And it was found to be acceptable but not as yummy as pan-fried dumplings (I wonder if they could make the dumpling dough from konjac flour?).

I usually eat an omelette filled with meat, fish or shellfish all wrapped in nori seaweed sheets but thought I would try the red curry as well. This morning (next day) my blood ketones reading is 0.0. So it seems that the konjac flour noodles may have shifted me out of ketosis. It was worth a try. Back to delicious meat filled omelettes for me. I wonder if I can convince my little bro to do a blood glucose curve after dumpling night? Just to check his glucose to see if it spikes.

(Charles Mitchard) #45

Love the konjak noodles, rinse well in cold water a few times till all the smell is gone.
Meanwhile melt a lot of salted butter in a large frypan. toss in a heap of fresh chopped garlic and gently cook till soft (add some fresh chopped chilli if desired)
Throw in a large heap of fresh chopped parsley, stir well, add the noodles and keep tossing and stirring till hot and the parsley is mixed through.
dump on plate and pour favorite spaghetti sauce on top.
I also love the algae noodles dont the same way.

(Tracy) #46

I’d like to suggest a noodle replacement that I think is excellent. They are called Palmini and I found them at Walmart. They are in a can and it’s just shredded hearts of palm. I use them to replace chow mein noodles and speghetti.

(Cathy) #47

Thank you for the suggestion! I had not heard of this option.

(Roberta Lun) #48

Thank you @FrankoBear for sharing your experience. My blood ketones were also zero the next day after eating Konjac noodles. I wonder why?