Konjac

(Doug) #21

Kojak

Gosh.
That was a long time ago. I’d forgotten about him. I’m now hoping old episodes are on YouTube.

I’ve just bought four packets of konjak. Three are blobby rectangles and one is noodles.
I was shopping in a very posh shop in Shepherd’s Bush, Westfield, just because I was nearby. It’s the sort of place that sells very very expensive sake.

A very smart Japanese lady said that traditionally in Japan konjak is used to give texture to a meal. The blocks are usually simmered to remove the smell and served as a side dish and are always flavoured with soy sauce and something sweet, sugar or honey.

And I bought a packet of noodles, thicker, and apparently manufactured to have a minimal smell. She said these would be added to soup or salads.

She also said Japanese chefs write about konjak and I should look for a blog called “One Book”.

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #23

This is how I eat konnyaku blocks.
Sliced abt 1/4" thick (4-6mm). I like them with sliced bamboo shoots (canned is fine), shiitake mushrooms, a little carrot, cubed daikon radish, and simmered in a broth of soy sauce (shoyu), dashi (fish broth), rice wine (sake), and sugar (normally, but not keto friendly).
These sweet shoyu broths are the problem…I’ve played using some keto friendly sweeteners, and it’s ok, but not there.

I might become an konjak bore!

In Japan it’s called “Broom for the stomach” as it can ‘clean out the intestines’!
eg https://cookingwithyoshiko.com/konnyaku-the-broom-of-the-stomach/

Search for traditional Japanese uses with “Konnyaku” not konjak/konjac.

(Keto Travels) #25

Yep, definitely intestine cleansing… though that varies from brand to brand. First one I tried was fine, just a little “windy”, second one had the entire gastrointestinal tract upset for 3 weeks. Now I make egg noodles myself if I need to have them in a soup. No more experiments!

I think I’ve given up on konjac noodles, Zucchini pasta is far superior in my opinion.

My konjak powder has arrived.
I’ll report!

(Joanna Parszyk ) #28

Mine too! What are you going to do with it? Use as a sauce thickener or they tonmake your own pasta?

All sorts. I can’t wait to be creative.
I’ll master how to thicken sauces, then maybe thicken cream to make fancy puds.
And given how expensive noodles are, yes, I’m going to have a go at pasta.

(Diane) #30

Where did you find the konjac flour? For a “reasonable” price. In other words, where did you find it cheaper than the NOW glucommanan powder on Amazon?

I wasn’t fussed by the price for my first bag.
I only bought 100g from Bulk Powders here in the UK, it has a price reduction at the moment.
I’ll buy a bigger bag when I know I’ll use it!

See “take naga” on YouTube.
Very short films of a Japanese chap making and cooking and all sorts of things with konkac powder. Peaceful, only the sounds of him working.
And a new use for the icing bag that’s malingering at the back of the cupboard!

(Diane) #33

I found this under “taka naga”. Damn autocorrect!

(Joanna Parszyk ) #34

So my bag of 1,1 kg of konjak flour has arrived and l started to experiment.
I LOVE it!
Fantastic for thickening sauces, soups ( l like them thick almost like a stew) and making deserts!
Super potent! One teaspoon makes a huge difference!
It reminds me of a potato starch in cooking.

(Joanna Parszyk ) #35

And u can make your own noodles!!!

(Joanna Parszyk ) #36

Aaaand one more :yum:

Thanks for sharing the link. It provides good information on the product . Really looking forward to try Konnyaku now :grinning:

I eat these type if noodles in moderation. Id suggest eating only 1 serving size, they are incredibly filling. (First time i ate the entire package. I was full well into the next day, but very uncomfortable for hours after the meal.)

You can try frying them (no oil) to dry them out instead if patting them down.

See this chap making shiratake noodles. I love his ingenuity - watch several of his very short demonstrations.