Konjac

(Felicity ) #1

So I found these today, made from a vege called Konjac. Anyone had this? Are they ok to have on keto?

(Robert C) #2

I am no expert on this stuff but I wouldn’t use it. Konjac is a root vegetable that is basically all fiber. Safe enough if you go and eat Konjac. But, according to your picture, these noodles are made out of Konjac flour. So, they have heavily processed an originally healthy substance into a powder and then reconstituted it. Does it still work in the body as fiber? Or it is so broken down that it is essentially the same as white flour? Probably the numbers are too low to cause you a problem in terms of keto but, if you are trying to stay real-whole-food also, may not be best.

(Felicity ) #3

Thanks, I just thought it might be a quick meal I can have in the pantry for those nights I get home late. Throw on some butter and cream cheese and chives and be done with it. Definitely wouldn’t consume them on a regular basis, I usually make zucchini noodles or cauliflour rice, some days though, I’m not prepared and like everyone, some days I just can’t be stuffed cooking.

(Scott) #4

For most people konjac is perfectly fine. It’s also known as shirataki noodles. It’s a form of fiber that the human body can’t digest. Of course, there is individual variability among all of us, so it’s possible that some people might not react well to it, but most people shouldn’t have any problems. The “Dudes” aren’t afraid to use it in many of their recipes. I have it periodically with no negative impact to my ketones. They’re a little chewier than what you might have been used to and that is a put off to some people.

(Felicity ) #5

Thank you.

(Scott) #6

Also, consider yourself warned that they will probably have an unpleasant odor when your open the package. That’s normal. It can be greatly improved by rinsing them a few times. They take on the flavor of the food they’re with and don’t have much flavor of their own. Richard Morris commented on the most recent podcast that you can now buy shirataki noodles at Costco in Australia. I haven’t seen them at Costco here in the US though.

(Felicity ) #7

Ok, thanks for the heads up! No Costco in my town, found these at Woolworths.

(Allan L) #8

Pure fibre that should be fine for Keto if you are counting net carbs. If you are counting total cabs then I’d avoid.

Konjac has been known to cause some intestinal issues with me in the past, bloating, wind etc. I used to take it in its pure fibre form years ago as it was ‘claimed’ to slow down blood sugar spikes etc.

(Cathy) #9

I use a different brand of konjac noodles. I normally use total carbs but in the case of these noodles, I do subtract the fiber count. They have a rubbery texture but I have grown to like them. The longer they are in the sauce of whatever food you are preparing, the more they absorb the flavours.

(Jay AM) #10

I wish I’d had a warning the first time lol. It’s from the lime in the water.

As for wanting these to replace a meal prep in a pinch. You can buy frozen veggies and heat them up, add the same stuff, bam. Things don’t have to be a noodle or rice to add sauce to. I rarely rice or noodle veggies anymore. Too time consuming.

First time my wife and I discovered these we were very excited at the prospect of having a pasta substitute in our keto diet. After a quick rinse and warming them in hot water we added them to our meal, scoffed them down and for the next two days both had severe stomach cramps/bloating etc.

Recently we tentatively decided to try them again (because we’d initially bought three packets and didn’t want to waste them). This time, we rinsed them thoroughly, sat them in hot water, rinsed them again, then using a paper towel we pressed out as much moisture as we could. We also chopped them up slightly (mainly to stop us from sucking them down without chewing) and made a greater effort of chewing them more when eating.

This time we had no cramping bloating.

So just be aware that they take a little bit of prep and care when eating to avoid any unwanted unpleasant side effects.

(Laurie) #12

I eat very simply now; half a can of salmon with mayo, or a hunk of cheese, can constitute a whole meal. So for me konjac noodles aren’t a quick meal–they’re a fancy meal (with meat sauce). I do enjoy them and appreciate having a noodle substitute, but they aren’t quite like “real” spaghetti. Therefore, I don’t think they’d be very good with just butter, cream cheese, and chives.

They do give me a bit of gas, but it’s worth it for the 0 carb noodly treat.

(Cathy) #13

Ooops wrong thread.

Looks great Cathy but I think you might have posted it in the wrong thread. :slight_smile:

(Cathy) #15

That is correct! Don’t know how I managed that…?:roll_eyes:

(Joanna Parszyk ) #16

I enjoy this kind of noodles a lot, mostly in Asian dishes. Love it, works for me just fine in every regard.
In general my Keto cooking (and l cook a lot) is just exploring lovely stuff we can have and not focusing on substitutes. I just embrace the new and ignore the old stuff that in the end made me no favors. Just my 2 cents :wink:

(Sierra McVehil) #17

I just orders a couple packages of konjac noodles! Looking forward to trying them. I really love Pad Thai, so I’m going to try Carl’s Pad Thai recipe. Thanks for the tips on preparing!

I’ve had a konjak conversation within the last week on this forum. I was talking with a chap who’s part Japanese.
It was very useful.

(Cathy) #19

What did you learn?

The thread is “What did you keto today? The sequel!!!” and it starts with post number 306.

I was pleased to find out that the smell, which doesn’t bother me, doesn’t matter if the konjak noodles are used in traditional recipes.