Kolrabi

vegetables

(Tina) #1

I have tried cauliflower mash and I love it, and even my hubby who hates cauliflower loves my mash, but I was wondering if anyone has tried kolrabi mash. Yes it has to be peeled but I have an electric apple peeler that works great. The carbs are a little higher than cauliflower, but hoping hubby will like it. Just wondering if anyone has tried this. You can find them at your asian markets.

(Siobhan) #2

I have. My only complaint is it takes forever to cook, and I forgot to remove one tougher part. It was okay, but reminded me too much of mashed potatoes. I’ve yet to find a cauliflower mash recipe I’ve liked though, so.
Feel free to try it though. it DOES work, I’m sure I just did a poor job of it lol.

(Jacquie) #3

Is that because you don’t like cauliflower or some other reason. Curious minds…:slight_smile:

(Siobhan) #4

It’s too watery when I boil it. even when I drain it it’s too watery!!! I’ve heard that dry cooking it (like roasting it and shoving it in a food processor) would work better, and then adding the cream and butter but I haven’t tried it yet
But no I like cauliflower

you could also try steaming it, instead of boiling in water. It makes a drier end product.

The kohlrabi mash does work, just like cauliflower mash. They both impart a slightly different flavour at the end.

(Jacquie) #7

I steam it and it’s not watery. Steam it until a fork can pierce it easily. This is my favourite recipe. Very simple and not too many ingredients. It helps if you like garlic and cauliflower. :slight_smile:
http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1657598867/best-make-ahead-side-garlic-cauliflower-mashed

(Louise ) #8

I mix kohlrabi in with my cauliflower as it thickens it up!

(Tina) #9

ooh I like that idea.

(Tina) #10

Interesting, mine is not watery. It does get creamy because I add butter, heavy whipping cream and sometime a few tablespoons of mayo if I have any made. I steam mine and throw it in a salad spinner. Then toss everything in the Vitamix and blend. Seasoning varies but there is always GARLIC. I also like to use white pepper.
On another note I never liked my mashed potatoes dry, so I tended to make them creamy as well.
So the end product might be what you call watery but not until I add liquid to it.

I learned to eat kolrabi raw, peel, slice then eat with a bit of salt. Very nice crunchy texture, like a mild radish. If they are a bit wilted or it’s going to be awhile before eating (> 10 min), put the slices in a bowl of ice water. It’ll crisp it up nicely.

That reminds me to get some started under the grow lights for the spring garden!

(Tina) #12

That sounds good. I’ll have to try it.

(Jacquie) #13

I have a friend that grows kolrabi and that’s how she told me to eat it. It’s delish! :slight_smile:

(Tina) #14

ok got some of my first kolrabi at Lee Lees so tomorrow is test day

(Mary 🌹 ) #15

I love kolrabi…but its a root veggie and I want to stick to leafy greens to get this weight off FAST!

Actually, it grows above ground. Old timers refer to Kolrabi as a “Sputnik” because of the way the leaf shoots grow up from the bulb : )

Have a look:

Also like a lot of cabbage / radish type plants, it’s mostly water.
https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2991?fgcd=&manu=&lfacet=&format=Full&count=&max=50&offset=&sort=default&order=asc&qlookup=11241&ds=&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=

6.2g carbs per 100g, not a huge amount.

(Tina) #17

@marybeth00 I too stick to mostly leafy greens and normally between 10 and 20 carbs a day. On the other hand I do like to try new things and I think about a 1 cup serving of kolrabi (which will include butter and probably cream) will allow me to try something new without exceeding my daily carb count. But next week I think it will be spinach and bacon mix.

(Clare) #18

I like to add it to slaw - it’s really tasty and crunchy.

(Mary 🌹 ) #19

Yes!

(Mary 🌹 ) #20

Yes…nice way!