Kilo Talk

(Jean Lenard) #1

Not new to Keto, but fairly new to the podcasts. I started on the first episode and am now into May 2018. Something that is driving me nuts is all the talk of kilos. I wish I could understand just how much that is. I need to hear pounds, not kilos! Am I the only one that feels this way?

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #2

1 kilogram is 2.2 lbs. If you want to get really lazy about it just multiply whatever someone says by 2 and thatā€™s how many kilograms. I like kilograms because I only weigh 95 kg as opposed to 210 lbs. :rofl:

I had to use kg as a vet tech and in nursing. Meds are dosed mg/kg. If Iā€™m not mistaken the US is the odd ball out on this one, everyone else is using metric.

(Keto Koala šŸØ) #3

I agree. The pound thing is confusing. Iā€™ve always used kgs.

(Rebecca šŸŒø Frankenfluffy) #4

Over here in UK people are weighed in ā€˜stoneā€™ - an old imperial measure - there are fourteen pounds in a stone.

So 10 stone 10 is 150 pounds.

I too am confused by kilos. Mind you, these days they weigh me in kilos at the diabetes clinic - at which point I ask them the equivalent in stoneā€¦

The podcast has ended. No more 2kilodudes. All the kilo woes are over.

The metric system is way more logical. Donā€™t get me started on mg/dl.

Maybe I missed the point, but you realize that mg/dl is metric right?

Always weird that that one didnā€™t come to the US with us using so much Imperial measurement. Here weā€™re kinda split between Imperial and Metric but most people donā€™t even notice half the stuff we use is metric, its funny when it gets brought up and itā€™s pointed out how much stuff in our daily life is metric. I think itā€™s a very long slow switchover. At the gym all the weights are in both which I think is why Iā€™m so quick when I see kg used. For some reason the oven temps always screw with me in recipesā€¦

(Jack Bennett) #8

I find the kilo-pound comparison fine, but the mg/dL versus mmol/L conversions are harder for me.

One of the problems there is that mg/dL refers to mass of the measured molecule, whereas mmol/L refers to number of measured molecules. This means that the conversion factor is different for insulin, cholesterol, etc, because the molecules have different mass.

I find the American mg/dL numbers sort of intuitive for cholesterol, and glucose, not intuitive for insulin. And I find the mmol/L numbers completely unintuitive in pretty much all cases.

So it is.
:laughing:
But weā€™re working with mmol/l in upsydownsyland, :upside_down_face:

(Rebecca šŸŒø Frankenfluffy) #10

Is it just UK that measures in mmol/l? The US and the rest of Europe is mg/dl, which I find baffling as Iā€™m used the the UK units. I remember my German diabetic penfriend when I was a kid writing to me about a blood glucose reading of way over 100 - and I couldnā€™t work out why she wasnā€™t actually deadā€¦ it turned out that they measure in mg/dl, whereas you can be hyperglycaemic in UK when the number is in the teens, not hundreds!

Over here they changed the units for HbA1c measurements from % to mmol/mol a few years ago - so instead of getting my result as 5.5%, Iā€™m now told 37mmol/mol!

I liked the % the best - I grew up with my HbA1c as a percentage - the percentage reading obviously doesnā€™t ā€˜equateā€™ to blood glucose level in mmol/l (they say 5.5% is equivalent to a 6.2mmol/l average, I gather), but the numbers at least LOOKED as if they were at least in the same ballpark.

(Rebecca šŸŒø Frankenfluffy) #11

Inches and stuff - thatā€™s difficult. My work involves measuring - and I do this in mm - the US equivalent of 2.4mm is apparently 3/32 of an inchā€¦ now THAT I just donā€™t get!

Mind you, weā€™re all of a mixed-upness here too. Roadsigns are in miles, and speed is measured in mph. Yet we measure temperature in Celsius. When buying furniture, itā€™s generally in metric measurements. Itā€™s illegal to sell veg at the market in pounds and ounces - things are priced per kilo. But a pint of beer is apparently okay to be served in a pub!!!

(Jean Lenard) #12

What?!?!? The podcast has ended?!?!?! I did not know that. Well crap :frowning:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #13

Once I left the States I got really mad about imperialā€¦ (well, maybe not really mad, see tagline.) Irritated that I was taught a unit of measure that is only used in two countries in the world, at least as a primary measurement. In China, inches are only used for tv and computer screens. And they have an ancient weight measurement, jin, that was originally about half a kilo. So the government just changed it to half a kilo. Easy peasy. I wish the US would do that with pounds. And Liberia, if I ever go there, I would appreciate if they could get that done before I arrive. Then, I find out the US switched to the metric system in 18freakin66, but made it voluntary. So no one did it. Infuriating.

(Bob M) #14

Hate to say it, but English measurements were actually based on real things. For instance, a foot was based on actual things. To me, this is more logical than a meter, which is based on nothing. Same with pounds.

Nonetheless, I have some guesstimates I use for most things, other than temperature. Thereā€™s not a simple formula for that.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #15

Whoā€™s foot? When you are building things together or repairing something someone else built that matters.

The important thing is to agree on an amount of something (weight, distance, volume, whatever) and give it a name, then multiply and divide it by a set number to get other larger and smaller amounts of that thing. Base 10 is the easiest to do in your head.

Since when is a number not a real thing?

(Jack Bennett) #16

What do you mean? A meter is defined as the distance light travels in 1 / 299792458 second :grinning:

Simple and intuitive :joy::laughing:

English measurements just makes more sense to me but maybe thatā€™s because Iā€™m British. The one that causes me endless frustration is ā€œcupsā€ā€¦sighā€¦just tell me how many grams it is.

I am nice and use pounds here but I use them since ages and itā€™s still very off to me. I am a Hungarian so we use normal things like kilograms, Celsius (it makes sense, just like Kelvin. Fahrenheit is crazy) and so on.

My scales has kg and stones. And those little lines must be there for every 2 pounds, I guess except when itā€™s a big line and whole stones. Those are further apart than kilos because they are on a way bigger circle so I see better with my less than great eyes (even with glasses, I donā€™t see ā€œfar awayā€ small things well). And I like stones, actually. Sounds nice and I use pebbles with stones instead of pounds. Nice big pebbles but whatever. I do what I want if itā€™s just me.

I use the pounds/kg calculator a lot when I write on forums. I know English best after my own language, Hungarian forums are small and rarely about ketoā€¦ So I had to get used to this crazy thing.

But itā€™s fine, itā€™s exact.

CUPS!!! I usually ignore recipes with cups and I canā€™t have any idea about how much it is (without extensive researched and thatā€™s still just a range in many times). I mean, I can count things if itā€™s liquid and I can do something with flour.
But 1 cups of broccoli, seriouslyā€¦ I canā€™t even imagine, people put everything into a tiny cup? Is it realistic? And if itā€™s some fatty substance or cocoa powder, they mess up a cup? I need to do lots of dishes anyway (I have no dishwasher but even if I had, making unnecessary mess isnā€™t my style.) Cauliflower and broccoli florets are often big! And if they smaller, itā€™s a very different weightā€¦ It doesnā€™t make sense.
In some cases exact weight matters a lot, the food might be ruined if itā€™s off. And many people measure to track carbsā€¦ So I just canā€™t understand cups at all. Only if itā€™s a mug cake (I still want weights though. My beloved walnuts are free spirits when ground, their volume may vary a lot for the same weight. More air, less airā€¦ Itā€™s significant unlike most oily seeds I use).

I never figured out why lbs is pounds. I didnā€™t even try.

(KCKO, KCFO) #19

They are taking a long break and say if anything important comes up they will do episodes. They are no longer just grinding them out on a fixed schedule. The older podcasts are still available and the info in those is pretty much what you need to get started on this WOE/WOL.

(KCKO, KCFO) #20

Iā€™m not British and I like recipes to use grams instead of cups. I can deal with teaspoons and tablespoons but unless it is flour cups makes no sense to me, never has. Is it a cup of finely shreded cabbage, roughly cubed cabbage, thick shreded cabbage for example all of those are going to be different.