Killer Fruit TicTacs

So I bought some fruit tick tacks near the start of June; they are essentially the only sweets of any kind I had in my food regime apart from a few bars of 90% chocolate.

I know I shouldn’t have them, but I was to keep them in my office draw for ‘emergencies’. I also admit I have some dry fruit (which is also a bad idea and plays into this mistake).

A month in I felt I was doing pretty well with no refined carbs at all and they caught my eye. I thought I could just have say 5 after lunch (in my eating window), and for a couple of weeks I did keep to that happily even knowing it wasn’t ideal (but I was also on 24 hour fasts and losing weight is my priority so I felt a few Tic Tacs every now and again would be manageable).

Anyhow; last Tuesday I decided to have some fruit at work in the morning (free fruit 2x per week) and had a banana and nectarine at the same time. Honestly that nectarine tasted like pure gold it heightened my senses for sure but I didn’t think much of it as I felt it was good fibre and whatever other good stuff fruit is supposed to provide.

So lunch rolls around; I have my usual spinach based HF salad but come back to the desk still feeling quite unsatisfied; which was actually quite unusual at that point because I was happy with my pre-prepared lunch.

I then had small handful of dry fruit after sitting back at my desk, and my brain become like a metaphorical Mere Cat and my addictive senses came on full force; I being to justify a few Tic Tacs and said 10 maximum, but as you can guess I popped the lid off and just began popping them in without looking; my body and my sugar addiction really felt out of control there was no way it was not going to let me finish the pack off; which I estimate was about 25-30 Tic Tacs.

It was like an out of body experience, my brain almost blurred out what I knew it had done and made me get on with work. Back at home that evening I had planned to have a very light meal but instead without thinking I decided to skip dinner and said “I would have a few macadamia nuts”; but with my nuts I had dry raisins and cranberry’s! Honestly it was a blur of mouth stuffing; my body addiction wanted the sugars back and as much as possible; the whole day was virtually a blur of my addictive nature taking over.

I had been running smooth and feeling great the day before; I can honestly say I did feel like a bit of a junky the next day; I was off the smooth Keto ride that Wednesday both mentally and physically and knew I was back in the grip of the sugar/glucose cycle. No doubt I may have also hot a huge insulin dump which made me feel awful and possibly also stalled any weight loss progress for a couple of days.

So a warning; that sugar monster is only a few mouthfuls from getting you back entrapped in it’s cycle. Avoid Fruit Tic Tacs at all costs!

(Karen) #2

Loved your story! I get a huge rush from sugar.

K

(Chris Robertson) #3

I ate 2 sugar free (they used stevia) cherry tick tacks about 4 days ago and a few hrs later my ketonix reading went from registering 46ppm down to 3ppm so it kicked me out of ketosis. Typically I can handle stevia and seem to do ok with most artificial sweeteners but I suspect they just use so much sweetener that it caused a problem anyway. My ketones are just now getting to the mid 20’s. It also made me crave jelly beans for 2 days. So no tick tack is a safe tick tack.

Oh that’s really interesting. All refine sugars are avoid of course I know that but it’s clear they are even more slippery and dangerous given their content and innocuous appearance and marketing. Thanks for sharing your info.

(less is more, more or less) #5

“Attack of the Fruit Tic Tac,” might make for a compelling Stephen King novel?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #6

You know, I’ve been wondering about the fruit flavored antacids that I’m supposed to take if I feel my GERD coming on.

What kind and how much actual sugar or artificial sweeteners do you think those contain?

According to one web site (don’t have a pack in front me) they contain:

sugar, dextrin, gum arabic, tartaric acid, rice starch, natural and artificial flavors, malic acid, magnesium stearate, citric acid, dried acerola extract, dried green apple, carnauba wax, ascorbic acid, yellow 6, yellow 5, red 40, blue 1.

More or less everything you want to avoid. Not going to lie I didn’t read the label, having had TT ever now and again through my whole life I didn’t think carefully enough about what I was doing.

On the plus side I’m hoping the reaction I had shows I have made good changes to my body in that time?

(Chris Robertson) #8

The sugar free ones that kicked me out of ketosis have Stivia, gum arbic, citric tartarbic magnesium salt of fatty acids, herb extracts, artificial flavoring, copper complexes of chlorophyllin.

That is everything off the back of the box in order.

They have to be made of something I suppose, and isn’t that the way with most man made foods that they have to make them taste appealing with an odd mix of things we would never want to consume if they were sat in their raw form in front of us (hence the point of Keto / Pre-agricultural diet changes I suppose?). Thanks.

(Chris Robertson) #10

Yeah. I knew that with a list of ingredients I had never heard of, they wouldn’t be good for me but they have 0 net carbs. Simple food is they way to go. Artificial food, like candy, tastes great but the people that make it are limited by the fact that we are only human. We are not as smart as millions of years of evolution or God (which ever you subscribe to). Science is limited by our understanding and our understanding is incomplete. Every time I try to find a loophole using science I get hit in the face with a sock full of quarters.

(Troy) #11

Great story!!
Reminded me of the ad commercials for tic tacs

“ put a tic tac in your mouth and get a bang out of life “
:joy:

You can have a newer version ad …2018
“Put a tic tac in your mouth and get possibly kicked out of Ketosis “