KFC without bread or potatoes?

(Marius the butter craving dude) #1

I am happy I lost my addiction and cravings for high sugar foods and pastry. Yet as the sum of vices is a constant… I now like KFC’s crispy strips a lot. I buy them without potatoes or any bread and no soda. Just a garlic mayo souse .
How bad is it ?

(MooBoom) #2

there are 14g of carbs in every 100g of crispy strips according to google.
No idea what oil they are fried in but it probably is vegetable oil of some kind.

I wouldn’t touch them with a 10 foot barge pole :slight_smile:

(Running from stupidity) #3

*three metre (3m)

(Marius the butter craving dude) #4

I get it… vices got to go… At least I also got quite a lot of keto vices… like butter and beef meat :slight_smile:

(Alec) #5

Too close for comfort… make that a 100 foot barge pole (33m for Juice).

(MooBoom) #6

Those ain’t vices, they’re food :smile::smile::smile:

(Alec) #7

Do these things have the Colonel’s secret recipe herbs and spice mix? I heard that the magic ingredient was… sugar.

(Alec) #8

Seconding @MooBoom, these are absolute virtues. If you don’t agree, I will post that pic of me eating butter again! :joy::joy:

(Marius the butter craving dude) #9

I fool myself that it is just meat fried in not so good vegetable oil… But they have a flour based crust.
When I eat butter I just bite of big chunks out of the pack.

(Alec) #10

Now you’re talking… drop the KFC, go to the supermarket and buy a basket full of butter. Numnumnumnum…

(Scott) #11

Anytime I see something breaded I instantly think CARBS!

(less is more, more or less) #12

Time to trot out one of my favorite YouTube videos on the pernicious history of “vegetable” oil:

That’s one nasty frankenfood, for sure. Recall fast food joints need to optimize their razor thin margins, which necessarily excludes healthy foods.

(Carl Keller) #13

KFC is an imperial franchise. If it were vegemite, a 3 meter barge pole would have been the appropriate tool. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Diane) #14

I occasionally have a piece of original KFC (breast) and eat some of the skin/breading (that’s where all the flavor is). Although it’s probably been more than a year since my last visit.

It don’t think it’s the worst thing in the world, especially when I haven’t eaten many (any) carbs that day. I’ve even added an individual coleslaw and still lost weight that week. I will add that although KFC coleslaw used to be my very favorite coleslaw, now I really prefer my own Keto version. That makes it easier to stick to just once piece of the chicken, every once in awhile.

Just adding my contrarian contribution. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #15

If you must eat at KFC get the grilled chicken and green beans.

If you want crispy fried chicken there’s lots of recipes that are keto friendly, breaded with almond meal, or pork rinds. If you make em at home now and then you’ll probably be able to forget the mediocre fast food and stop craving your vice. :cowboy_hat_face:

(John) #16

I do miss fried chicken! I grew up in the US South and it is a staple food around here.

I made an amazingly good replacement, though.

The breading was a combo of ground flaxseed, chia seeds, with onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper for some added flavor. Beat one egg, dip the chicken in the egg then dredge in the breading mix, then fry in avocado oil.

OMG was that great. I used boneless skinless chicken thighs, but any old chicken will work. Chia seeds are certainly optional - gave it some extra crunch and even some fiber.

(Consensus is Politics) #17

“10 meter cattle prod”

(Ken) #18

Eating it occasionally will not hurt you. As with any other carb don’t eat it often enough to refill your glycogen. I probably eat fried chicken once a month or so. Very tasty and certainly no big deal.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #19

I’m curious about the concept of not completely refilling glycogen stores. How would one know how much was too much? If one eats a sandwich I assume the only way would be to test ketones the next day?

(George) #20

I miss fried chicken, a lot.

What I usually do when the craving is high is dip chicken in an egg wash, coat them in a pork rind/mozzarella blend, repeat, add a simple blend of salt, pepper, cayenne, onion and garlic powders, and bake until crispy.

It’s not the same as good ol’ KFC, but it’ll do.