KFC without bread or potatoes?

(Ken) #21

To my knowledge, and I could be wrong, there is no test to tell you. But it’s quite a bit. Back in my CKD days, the protocol was to eat an EXTRA days worth of calories in carbs over a 36 hour period. That’s extra, not a substitution of carbs for your daily caloric requirements. Full recompensation like that is really for those training and following a CKD.

The reality is that you can easily substitute some carbs for fat over a meal, day, or even longer and come no where near filling up your glycogen. It really takes a chronic pattern. That’s why people can take an occasional break, and as long as you don’t intentionally overeat, never get to the point of overcompensation. It’s all about considering VLCHF to be your norm, and carbs to be a temporary exception. All this really only applies once you’re adapted, it’s not a good idea until that time.

Last Fall I got to the point when I was never hungry, a few weeks of simple caloric substitution restored things for me. That and forcing myself to eat some limited carbs on the Weekends.

If you could remember how much weight you dropped at first when you became lipolytic would be a good indicator. For me, since I recompensated reqularily, I know I carry (or used to) around 14 pounds of glycogen. I can actually flux much more water weight if I eat salty foods at the same time.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #22

I wish I could tell you. I’ve been keto just over a year but the whole lipolytic concept escapes me. I have lost the weight, and the biomarkers are good. But the concept of knowing you are lipolytic when your appetite decreases, does not apply. Before menopause I could easily skip eating for three days. Now, I’m 61, and it’s a different story - it’s not psychological hunger, it is hunger pains. If I even go six hours without eating I have gas, bloating, and diarrhea. It’s a PITA. Tests have been done, and doc just says eat more often. But am pretty sure I am not refilling glycogen. We’re talking one English muffin three days in a row (with butter, bacon and cheese!) But I have been at my current weight for several months so don’t think any off-plan eating is doing any harm.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #23

And the other problem is, they say carbs plus fats equals SAD. My bread or muffins are a delicious vehicle for butter and other fats. So I suppose I am doing it all wrong.

(Diane) #24

So wrong you don’t wanna be right?

A nice toasted English muffin, slathered in melty butter with a thin slice of very sharp cheddar… :drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face:

Sigh…

(Empress of the Unexpected) #25

You left out the bacon. Years ago, I think it was Burger King, had a bacon cheese breakfast sandwich (I leave out the eggs). Right around the time I started gaining weight, I worked up to five, to my husband’s embarrassment. They have since substituted a croissant, which is not the same.

(Ken) #26

I think you’re doing fine. IMO, the fact you do get actually hungry is that you have metabolic health and flexibility. Losing fat could simply be a matter of calories, or trying OMAD and/or occasionally fasting.

(Ken) #27

Instead of a muffin, I like an Onion Bagel slathered with butter and Cream Cheese, topped with chopped garlic and a mound of bacon.