Ketones on breath ketometer

Hello everyone,

So I am now in my 4th week of ketogenic diet, and I do IF as well on most days. So, my wife got a breath ketometer. My first two weeks they were in the 2s and 3s. On days after my fasting days, such as a 24hr fast I get into 6s. Today, worried me because I was in low 9s. I understand the breath analyzer is not so accurate and personally im not worried, but should I be? I follow a 70/20/10. Should I be adding more carbs? Or these high numbers fat adaptations. You guys always give good advise.

Thanks

(Ellenor Bjornsdottir) #2

don’t worry about having high ketones. seriously.

Cool. Thank you

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

No, and it’s not really recommended to use a percentage to plot how many carbs you should eat. 20grams per day is the recommended starting point that we recommend here. You might be able to eat more and be in ketosis or maybe not. But that’s a good amount that virtually everyone will be in ketosis at. And carbs are not necessary in any amount, they aren’t essential. They’re more of a price we pay for eating foods that contain other nutrients we want. You can do keto with zero carb or no plant foods at all. So you should think of carbs as a limit, not a target to meet. If you can have less then better. I have continually cut carbs down since I started, I easily stay below 20grams daily unless it’s by choice to eat more occasionally. As @ellenor2000 said testing ketones and chasing numbers is a waste of time. Ketone levels will be changing throughout the day. I have been eating KETO for 15 months and have never tested once. If you stay very low on carbs and aren’t dead you’re in ketosis, just trust the process and don’t stress. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Ellenor Bjornsdottir) #5

you’re putting words in my mouth Dave.

i’m going to contradict my previous position (though not my previous message in this thread; that’s entirely compatible with this position) and say that chasing ketones (or at least holding up a keto ratio diet) is helpful for some people, especially people who have issues where they end up with hypoglycemia after too much protein. what I’m trying to warn @louisvilledoc against is worrying about “doing it too well” which this post is worrying about.

Yes, agree. Not dead is good

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

I have never heard of this, ever. I have heard of people who claim that any excess protein will be converted into glucose through GNG. And then the claimed result is elevated BG levels which could knock you out of ketosis temporarily. This concept is hotly debated in the ketogenic community but generally thought of as false now. Breaking down protein does release some glucose and cause a minimal insulin response. But it’s mostly accepted now that gluconeogenesis is need driven, not supply driven.

Sorry if I read wrongly what you meant by your post @ellenor2000. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Ellenor Bjornsdottir) #8

Then you’ve never read The Wooo’s blog.