Ketone Meter/Glucometer

(Denzel McClean) #1

Im just wondering how to shop for one? Just the cheapest blood test kits or is this combo meter good? https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0789G8KTG/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1520370392&sr=8-2&keywords=keto+blood+test&dpPl=1&dpID=51VG7BaVb0L&ref=plSrch

(Jean Taylor) #2

I think most if not all of the meters that measure ketones measure blood sugar as well but the majority of blood sugar monitors don’t measure ketones.

I have the one you linked but i just got it and its my only one, so I don’t really know how good it is. I will say on amazon when i looked at the replacement strips they said they were good for 6months after opening. When reading the meter instructions it says when calibrating with the little stick that comes with your ketone strips it sets an exeration date of 1 month on the meter and the meter will give an error if you try using the strips after they “expire” I haven’t had it long enough to try reinserting the calibration stick and seeing if it resets the date or not so it may not be a problem but it’s something I wish I had known.

When shopping for a meter be sure you look at the price of the replacement strips over time they’ll cost you more than the meter. Good luck!

I have a keto-mojo. It works good, I like it.

(Diane) #4

I have the Keto-Mojo as well and like it. The ketone replacement strips are cheaper than the others I’ve seen. They also have some good YouTube video instructions for setting up and using the meter.

(Denzel McClean) #5

Thanks guys. I ordered the mojo kit from their site because its the same price as on amazon but if you puy from their site you can buy strips for just 99cent for life

(Robert Hollinger) #6

I was just going to say the same. I bought my KetoMojo on Amazon but I contacted support and they said to send them the order number and they would add me to the guaranteed price deal too.

(Dameon Welch-Abernathy) #7

While I’m sure the Keto Mojo stuff is fantastic, the strips seems a bit expensive at a dollar a pop.
Yes, I realize those strips are dual purpose, but I’m personally not seeing the benefit of tracking if I’m in ketosis or not.
Especially, since for me, the results are telling me I’m doing something right (currently 95 pounds / 44kg under my high water mark).

Meanwhile, as a Type 2 Diabetic, I definitely need to track my blood glucose.
Even those strips are too expensive IMO.

(Diane) #8

I agree that I don’t generally NEED to test my ketones regularly for weight loss. But I’m also eating ketogenically for therapeutic reasons and am trying to stay above 3.0 to see if this has a better affect on repairing my mitochondrial function (along with EF). Okay, I’m also kind of addicted to tracking them.

Just for clarification, the Keto-Mojo meter is dual purpose. You have to buy 2 different kinds of strips to test both glucose and ketones. The glucose strips are ~$15 for 50. The ketones strips are ~$50 for 50 count. The ketones strips I’ve seen for other monitors are at least $2 per strip or more. Just what I’ve seen.

(Mike Glasbrener) #9

I recently purchased the keto mojo and like it. I’m using it for tracking bs and ketones. I’m also trying to understand if the readings from it can add more value to optimizing my exercise regiment.

(betsy.rome) #10

Does anyone know if the Keto Mojo is more accurate in measuring ketones than other meters?

(Diane) #11

So, what I’ve read from other users (so take the info for what it’s worth), the keto-mojo needs less blood than the precision xtra. But it’s less accurate at the low ketone levels. So, you might get a “lo” reading on the keto-mojo but get a .3 on the precision xtra. But the keto-mojo is supposed to be more accurate at levels above 2.0.

If you’re measuring your blood glucose, it also gives you a reading for your hematocrit and hemoglobin.

(Mike Glasbrener) #12

The HCT and hb are erratic at times and not nearly as useful. I wouldn’t use them to drive a purchasing decision. That said, the ketone and BS seem pretty good and the trends depending on diet and exercise make sense. Lastly, I really like having ketones as it is a proxy for insulin. If you consume some things they may not drive BS. However, they can have an effect on insulin secretion which will, of course, slow/stop fat metabolism. After all, most of us really want to fix insulin. BS is just the symptom of a damaged metabolism.

(Diane) #13

Excellent point. Thanks!

(Denzel McClean) #14

Youre right. I dont need the meter either as long as i eat right, but i am not trying to lose weight AT ALL lol. I want to experience the other benefits of being in ketosis. So i want to measure just for optimal results. Im committed to a 90 day challenge and i dont want to make a half ass attempt then come out wit a video saying keto is fake lol

(Dameon Welch-Abernathy) #15

If you’re trying to get the other benefits of being in ketosis and want to make sure you’re there, then by all means, do it.
Me? I’m less concerned about ketosis and more concerned about the diabeetus.
I suppose if I hit an extended plateau, it may be something I consider.
Meanwhile, I KCKO.

I own a Keto Mojo and a Precision Xtra. On the occasions when I’ve taken blood ketone readings using both meters from the same finger stick, the Keto Mojo usually reads somewhat higher or the same. The Keto Mojo does often read lower than the Precision Xtra when the blood ketone levels are fairly low. I don’t know which of the two is more accurate.

Here’s the data in mmol/L with the Keto Mojo on the left and the Precision Xtra on the right:

1.1 - 0.6
1.2 - 0.6
3.1 - 2.5
4.8 - 3.7
4.2 - 3.3
1.7 - 1.6
1.0 - 0.6
0.3 - 0.5
0.8 - 0.9
3.9 - 2.6
2.4 - 2.4
0.1 - 0.4
Lo - 0.4
Lo - 0.4
0.1 - 0.2
1.1 - 1.1
3.3 - 3.3
2.4 - 1.7
1.3 - 1.2
1.5 - 1.2
3.2 - 2.3
4.0 - 3.9
5.7 - 4.4

(Aimee Moisa) #17

Wow, that data set is completely whacked. There is no standard deviation, no consistency, nothing. That leads me to think that either one or both machines is crap. I had this inkling when I saw Keto Connect do a side-by-side comparison too but they only showed a few data points instead of the large quantity of data you provided. I wonder if either machine is good enough to just be relied on for trend analysis.

I have an Xtra, then bought a Mojo. I haven’t done extensive comparison testing. I use a different glucometer because it has cheaper strips. Over the past 9 months, they’ve been good enough to be useful tools for me. Not only for tracking trends, but also for instantaneous feedback on meal composition.