Ketone level too high all the time?

(arvy minsk) #1

Hi! I started with keto almost 2 months ago and lost around 8kg so far. It’s going good and I#m feeling much better. The only problem I have is that, when I test my ketone levels with an urine test its always around 8.0 or 16.0? That’s pretty high. I’ve already been to the ER once because I panicked because of it, but my blood samples are actually better than ever. my blood sugar got lower and overall everything is good. I don’t have diabetes. The doc told me to just eat few more carbs but thats it, I’ve been doing that and still it’s pretty high Also to add, I once stopped for few days and started again and was back with the high ketones after around 8 hours? What’s wrong with me? Am I doing something totally wrong? Sorry I’m not too fluent in english and really new to keto.
Thank you!

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #2

Nothing is wrong with you.
You do not have diabetes so you are not at risk of ketoacidosis.
There is nothing to worry about.
In fact, if you have readings that high, you are doing everything right.
There is no need to stress out :slight_smile:

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #3

I’ll also add, the doc is an idiot.

Keep going mate!

(arvy minsk) #4

thank you so much for replying! so it’s alright to have high levels? everywhere i read about keto it says to have low to medium levels

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #5

Absoloutely, you have been on Keto for upwards of 8 weeks, you should be close to fat adaption now without too much metabolic damage.

The urine test strips are showing wasted ketones through your urine, so whilst your body is producing them at a high rate (excellent job), it is still unsure on how to use those ketones it’s producing for fuel.
Sooner or later you will get less of a reading on those strips, because your body will start using the ketones effectively, so don’t stress if you see high numbers or no numbers at all, both are very good signs of nearing adaption.

(arvy minsk) #6

Thank you sooo much for your replies!! I’m much calmer now! Have a nice day!

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #7

You’re most welcome, Keto on :slight_smile:

(Running from stupidity) #8

The easiest way to stop worrying about ketone levels is to stop wasting money testing them.

(Justin Traer) #9

LOL, technically the Doc wasn’t wrong!

KCKO

(KCKO, KCFO) #10

Pee sticks are much better at measuring hydration levels than ketones.

Don’t worry about it and don’t eat the extra carbs unless you are ok not losing much more weight.

KCKO

(Kenneth Haight) #11

I too have regularly high levels of ketones, 5.0-7.0. This is my 2nd time doing keto, and the first time wasn’t like this. I feel constant headaches and slight naseua and I am forcing myself to eat more than I feel like doing. And talk about the heat, my body is so hot. I’ve lost 15 pounds in one month, so It might just be im losing weight to fast and my body is in starvation mode? Thing is I eat a fair amount, to complement my regular exercise.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #12

5.0 - 7.0 in blood or in urine?

(Kenneth Haight) #13

blood.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #14

Why are you forcing yourself to eat extra? Just eat until satisfied.

(Kenneth Haight) #15

Well, 15 pounds in one month is a lot of weight to lose. I’m trying to make sure I don’t lose weight too quickly and have the whole thing backfire in my face. I often feel like I could just eat 500 calories for the day and be done with it, even after burning something like 600+ at the gym.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #16

Lots of people lose a substantial amount the first month, and then it tends to taper off.