Ketogenic Travelers

(momzbusy2012) #1

Those who are frequent travelers have special needs when it comes to sticking to this WOE. I would love to hear your ideas on how you stay keto while traveling for work or fun.

(carl) #2

When I travel I like to fast as much as I can, save for a great local dinner or two

(momzbusy2012) #3

I’ll start…

Portland, OR and Olympia, WA

Bone broth bar! These are great places to visit when you’re in the area and want to stay keto or to support fasting while traveling.

https://brothbarsft.com/

I travel for work frequently. Sometimes I have the ability to cook for myself, but more often than not I eat out.

For breakfast, on the odd occasion when I’m hungry at that time of morning, I find a cafe where I can get a simple serve of bacon, eggs and avocado. If that’s not available, I have a bacon and egg mcmuffin from McDonalds and toss the muffin.

I often swing by a supermarket or service station and pick up sliced cheese, salami and salted peanuts, to have as snacks or a meal depending on hunger levels.

My main meal for the day is usually a steak (no sauce, butter on top) or pork belly if it’s on the menu. If there’s anything that comes with the meal that is non-Keto, I ask them to remove it so I’m not tempted to sneak a bite. At first I was worried that I’d get bored with this WOE on the road, but far from it!

(momzbusy2012) #5

Here’s another for Portland, OR

This is a paleo food truck company with lots of keto options. Plus they make genuine Bullet Proof Coffee! They have 3 food trucks and one restaurant. This adorable couple believed in their concept and set up a type of gofundme and have succeeded!

(momzbusy2012) #6

Great info! I also travel for work which is either by plane (at least once a week per month) or driving but often staying in hotels for days at a time. I find my local resources and stick with those. I always try to find a hotel with a microwave and fridge and then stock it up with cheese sticks, olives from the olive bar if they have it, high fat cold cuts, HWC, etc. Then I usually bring uncured meat sticks and proportioned bags of macadamia nuts and maybe some Lily’s chocolate for a treat (especially for air travel).

(Carol Hawkins) #7

I travel fairly often, so I usually grab some nuts and cheese for the plane trip. At this point (I’ve been keto for 11 months) it’s fairly easy to find something keto to eat pretty much anywhere. Most places are happy to accommodate social requests like no bun, or swapping dressings, etc., so it’s not really an issue for me.

(Meeping up the Science!) #8

Fasting makes traveling much easier. Less time spent worrying, less money spent, less fuss. Honestly, anything that helps me spend as less time as possible in airports is amazing.

Chicago literally has meat everywhere. Not just in the city, but the suburbs too. There is a crapload of places you can go, from Lou Malnati’s which has sausage crust pizza, to Portillo’s which will make you a polish or italian beef without buns (they also have awesome salads and grilled fish), to some of the best steakhouses in the country.

(Peter Barney) #9

Great info I’m traveling the world all of 2017 with my family and mind is racing thinking how to maintain ketosis and all my health gains.

(Mark Anthony Spiteri) #10

I find that when I travel (I cross time zones) my weight loss always stalls even though I keep eating Keto.

Probably this is a results if raised cortisol which we know works against ketosis. As a result what I plan to do in the new year is as @carl does and start fasting for most of the trips.

(Jason) #11

Travel is my job.

1. I always try to book extended stay hotels if I’m staying more than one day. This allows me to cook in my room.
  2. Intermittent fasting is easier when traveling.
  3. Free breakfast:
    Bacon, sausage (ask to see the brand and look it up on MFP to see if there are any fillers), hard boiled eggs (cut them in half and spread cream cheese on them then dust with salt and pepper).
  4. I always travel with coconut oil or powdered MCT oil (depending if I have to deal with TSA) and salt.
  5. Sardines, oysters and other canned fish/meat are great to take with you.

I’ve noticed that a lot of people recommend fasting while traveling. However, one job field that requires constant travel and subsequently has high rates of obesity and diabetes is Truck driving. Does anyone have any recommendations for truck drivers who are trying to start keto? Often times they go 6 days driving, 1 day home, and extended stay hotels are not an option.

Intermittent Fasting would be great, but it can be hard to convince beginners that it’s possible, and extended fasting can be really hard for newbies.
Cheese sticks and cured meats can only go so far.

I’m thinking fat bombs would be good, HWC, MCT oil. But outside of fat bombs that doesn’t allow for much variety. Part of the reason keto has been so easy for me to stick to is the number of different types of meals I can make.

Is anyone a Keto Truck driver or know anyone that is? Would they be willing to share their techniques and what helps them get by?

(David K) #13

I travel for work a lot. I just basically eat what I would eat at home if I were eating out almost every meal. Steak, salad, lunch meat, cheese, bunless burgers, etc… It gets tricky when the customer orders in food, then you fast or make it as Keto as possible.

If you’re going to be at the same hotel for a few days, hit up the grocery store for a bunch of no cook foods that you can make a plate or two a day of.

• Avocado
  • Tuna / Sardines _ Extra Virgin Oil Preferred (wt pull tab)
  • Artichokes in oil
  • Butter
  • Olives
  • Creme Fraiche / Cream Cheese
  • Other Cheese
  • Cauliflower
  • Broccoli
  • Pork Rinds
  • Nuts
  • Salami etc

(carl) #15

Listen to our interview with Kevin Scharmen, keto truck driver.

(Jason) #16

I am a corporate pilot (80 nights in hotels a year) currently transitioning back to airline flying(140 nights).

I travel with MCT powder.
Eat meat at restaurants whether it’s steaks on the company dime or double cheeseburgers at McDonald without a bun and no ketchup if it’s my dime.
Keep it simple when traveling.

(Jason) #17

However, right now I’m living in a hotel for at least 5 weeks.
You can follow me at facebook The Traveling Ketonian.
Here is my setup.

damn son!

(Jason) #19

I’m cheap.

(Becky) #20

Wow! That is some setup! I love the aldis moser Roth chocolates!