Ketogenic Travelers

(Jason) #21

Yes those are my new favorite chocolate!

(betsy.rome) #22

What does MCT powder taste like?
Does anyone know how they make it a powder - obviously a processed food, is it as good for you as liquid MCT?
or are you better off on the road just getting Half & Half in your coffee, since most places do not have HWC.

(Jason) #23

MCT powder has no taste. It is great for warm and cold drinks. It is processed but I donā€™t let it bother me.
I do not drink half & half. There are too many carbs I would rather drink my coffee black.

(Jason) #24

Also you can usually find little butter containers like these that work well in coffee.

(Jo Lo) #25

Wow, great travel ideas!
I take a tip from Dave Aspery and travel with a flask of olive oil and an avocado. If you have no other decent options you can dump that on a salad.
Also nuts, Epic bars, jerky, cheese, and look for hotels with free breakfasts that features egg and meat options.

(momzbusy2012) #26

Impressive! Now thatā€™s dedication!

(Linda) #27

These are all great tips but my situation is a little different and Iā€™m wondering if anyone can help. Hubby and I are flying to Johannesburg from Sydney on Monday for a 32 day tour ā€˜safariā€™ through Sth Africa, Zimbabwe and Botswana.

About 80% of meals are included in the tour price and I have let the tour guide know that I eat Keto, told him similar to Banting (as I believe they call it over there) and he said he would pass the info along to the places where we are to stay but could not guarantee anything.

Iā€™m planning to fast on the plane there and back and Iā€™ll take some nuts with me for the tour in case of emergency (if I can get them into Sth Africa). Thereā€™ll be a lot of places where we canā€™t just pop into the nearest supermarket to grab some cheese and salami!

Iā€™m prepared to refuse food if I have to but wondering if anyone has travelled there or lives there and give me any tips??

TIA

(KCKO, KCFO) #28

Bumping this up because we all travel sometime and some good info in here.

@LindaA, did you ever get info on S. Africa keto survival?

(Linda) #29

Thanks for asking!
No, didnā€™t get any tips but now 3 weeks into the 5 week trip and doing fine. Fasting through a lot of meals that are not suitable and asking for alternatives where I can. The locals are very confused and donā€™t understand but I donā€™t eat something just to please them! If I have to, I eat the butter out of the butter dish to get extra fat!

When I get back I weigh in and see how I went, but I donā€™t appear to have put any weight on. I think Iā€™ve been kicked out of ketosis, but with all the travelling, Iā€™m not surprised.

(Linda) #30

Iā€™m now back from travelling for 5 weeks through Southern Africa and besides having a wonderful time, I picked up some great tips for travelling whilst eating Keto.

My weight the morning I left was 60.1kg (Iā€™m at my goal weight) and the morning after arriving home I was 59.9kg, so no significant change.

I ate breakfast before leaving at 0700 to get to the airport for an 1100 flight then fasted until I arrived at out hotel in Johannesburg (14 hour flight + 2 hours at the other end) so 20 hours of fasting all up, easy peasy after doing a Zorn Fast! I took salt with me and kept asking for water.

For most dinners, I had meat and vegetables or side salad, no starch please! and always asked for no dressing or sauces and I asked for extra butter or olive oil. Most people didnā€™t have a problem, although I did have one guy roll his eyes at me!

For breakfast if it was available as an option, it was bacon and eggs or an omelete and I requested not only extra butter, but also that it was cooked in butter as opposed to margarine or vegetable oil. If there was only a continental breakfast available, I either fasted or had the cheese and meat slices if there were any.

I skipped most lunches as there just wasnā€™t anything I was prepared to eat, but it was easy to buy macadamia nuts wherever we were, so I had those as a back up if I was hungry. But most often I wasnā€™t.

The biggest tip I can offer when faced with breads, pastas, potato and desserts (which were all included in the cost of the tour) is just say ā€œno thanksā€! I had control over everything that went into my mouth, no one else.

I will say that I havenā€™t found it as easy to get back into my pre holiday routine and as of this morning (11 days later) Iā€™m up a couple of kilos and feeling more hungry than normal. Iā€™ve done a couple of 24 hour fasts and will do the September Zorn fast when it comes up in September.

At the end of the day, Iā€™ll keep switching it up and see what happens.

(Bobby B.) #31

OMG! Lou Malnatiā€™s is my favorite pizza! I did not know they had a sausage crust pizza!! Iā€™m trying this out ASAP (after I get done fasting). Looking at their nutrition on their web site though, Iā€™m a bit skeptical. It says in most any slice, there is 2 carbsā€¦I have to believe their tomato sauce is more than that. Iā€™m definitely going to try it though. Thanks for the tip Donna!