Ketogenic Survival Guide for Beginners

newbies
startingout
beginning

(Phil Ware) #30

Thanks Kate
I think your right it’s a bit of both, the blocked/runny nose seems to come and go tho
Makes me wonder if it’s a reaction to a food
I’m logging what I eat, but nothing seems obvious.
Never mind, plough on through, be worth it in the end
:slight_smile:

How’s your dairy intake? It’s known for its mucus-enducing properties; perhaps this is something you’re susceptible to? Just keep adjusting as you go and track your responses (N=1, remember! :blush:) Yep, it definitely will be worth it. Hang in there.

(Marshelle) #32

Awesome!! Great to have support and support others!

(Joe Shelton) #33

What are “Macros”?

It’s short for “macronutrients”.

(David) #35

Macronutrients. The percentages of carbs, fat and protein that go to make up your foods and meals.

Trackers like MFP (My Fitness Pal) break them down nicely for you.

You might find this page useful WIKI: Acronyms to navigate the acronyms and initialisms.

(Joe Shelton) #36

Thank you!!!

(Joe Shelton) #37

Thank you !!

(Merete C) #38

Hi KetoKate
You asked for an update after my 3-week LCHF menu upgrade in my cafeteria.
Sorry it took me so long but I got laid down with a herniated disc, ouch.
I can tell you that it was a huge success. I made a survey after the finish of the three weeks and around half got back to me with 90% positive experiences - such as getting rid of bloating, indigestion, less hunger, more energy, MUCH more energy, waist circumference shrinking 1 belt hole, weight loss in the range of 1-3 lbs.
11 want to continue!!! So my hidden agenda all along was successful. Now the cafeteria will offer two menus! One normal but still fairly healthy (whole foods) and one of LCHF.
I bought the Ketogenic Cookbook by Maria Emerich and Jimmy Moore for the cooks.

Myself: Interesting result.
I started LCHF in August, by picking and choosing from the normal menu and adding up with olive oil, creme fraiche, whipping cream, coconut oil etc. I felt instantly better with my energy levels and digestion so not in doubt that this was for me, but my extra 5-10 lbs did not move at all.
During these three weeks where I got to finally get my food with enough fat I LOST six lbs! Yep, I know it could also be that my body has healed during the 4 months previous, but it is kind of a cool result anyway. My fat weight shows exactly the same muscle tissue as before, so I know it is fat that has disappeared.
It got a little long, but it is a good experience to share. Merete

Firstly - Yikes! Hope you’re no longer in pain.

Secondly - spectacular result!!!

Great news on your cafeteria offering up a Keto menu. Hats off to your catering staff for being open to change and prepared to adjust menus to address the needs of staff.

You all deserve a big pat on the back…and a round of applause to you in particular…nice job leading the way! :clap::trophy::smile:

(David) #40

Wow, that’s one way to get your cafeteria to do a LCHF menu :wink: Well done.

(David) #41

Hear Hear. Lead by example, and then take a few people behind you to get changes implemented elsewhere.

(Wendy Peterson) #42

Maria Emmerich suggests not counting net carbs but total carbs. However if I eat veggies it’s really easy to go over the recommended under 50g per day. So I guess I’d like tonnnow how many “servings” of veggies should I be eating in a day? The non starchy kind of course :wink:

Hi @Wendy_p, it really does come down to the individual. Many people who follow Keto limit their carb in take to no more than 20 grams per day and so vegetables are accordingly limited. Given that Keto is almost the opposite of standard western recommended diets, the reference to “serves” is not a typical measure we use. For comparison, if it assists, I normally have only about one serve a day (eg. three broccolini stems with salt and butter) as a side with my main meal.

(Ellie Green) #44

Awesome post. I’ve been doing this for almost 3 months, my keto rash is almost gone and I’ve only had 4 menstral cycles this past 6 weeks. Will I ever start losing the extra weight? I have about 15-30 lbs I’d like to rid myself of but it just doesn’t seem to be happening.

(David) #45

Have you noticed other benefits?

More energy? more alert? Less hunger/snacking? Clothes fitting differently.

(Ellie Green) #46

No change in my measurements but I do have more energy and I’m more productive. I don’t think my house has ever been this clean. :slight_smile:

(Jameela Frierson) #47

Hello, I started my Keto diet 7 days ago. I am a diabetic. I have taken less insulin since I have started. I just checked my levels and discovered that my Ketone level is above 8. Is this dangerous for me and does this mean I need to eat more carbs and/or slow down on the Keto shakes and coffee.

(Ellie Green) #48

No worries. Your measurements are of ketones your body isn’t using. It’s great that you’re producing ketones but your body isn’t fully utilizing them yet. Give it some more time and I bet your number will decrease. Keep and keto on.

(Marla Cristina) #49

Hi there, this is my first post and first time using a forum. YAY!

I started doing Keto last month and saw awesome results right away. In fact, I lost 12lbs in 16 days. Needless to say, I fell in love with the idea of this lifestyle and I even recruited my mother to do it too. Now she’s lost 10lbs in 2 weeks. That said, after those first two weeks, I hit a wall. I NEEDED carbs and sugar. I listened to my body started incorporating some of those non-ketogenic foods into my diet. Now almost a month in, I’ve still maintained a somewhat keto mind set with many cheat days or meals. I gained 5lbs back which is discouraging but I’m ready to try again.

At this point, I’m trying not to be overwhelmed but I’m kind of overwhelmed. I’m tired of food and eating. It seems like such a process to think about what I should and shouldn’t eat and creating combinations of foods for each meal that will be ketogenic. I’m exhausted! Help!

I’m also overwhelmed with MCT, collagen peptides, blah blah blah. Seems complicated and pricey!

I liked reading some of the tips on here about keeping things simple and I’m going to try that again.That’s how I started and lost the weight the first time. BUT, I just get sooo tired of eating the same things! I’m afraid this isn’t sustainable for me, the girl who LOVES french fries, bread, chocolate, and ice cream!

Any advice?