Ketoed breakfast favorite of mine

(KCKO, KCFO) #1

I’m the first to admit, I miss hearty home made breads. I used to love cutting out the center of a slice of it, and cooking an egg in the center. Well, I finally came up with a ketoed version.

You use a bell pepper ring slice instead of the bread slice. Put the pepper slice in the pan, add the egg, salt and pepper, put a lid on the pan and cook for 1-2 mins. depending on how soft/hard you like your egg. I really can enjoy this.

(matt ) #2

I called it “egg in a frame”. My wife called it “toast with egg in the middle” The literal nature of that always makes me laugh.

I have seen it called a birds nest as well.

(Erica Ramirez) #3

We called it a “spit in the ocean” growing up :joy: gross name, delicious food, especially when you use a lot of butter and cover it with a slice of cheese

(KCKO, KCFO) #4

DUH, why hadn’t I thought of adding the cheese. I cook it all in butter already. But cheese would kick it up a notch for sure. Thanks for the idea.

I miss this too! It’s called “toad in a hole” if I remember correctly from Cutthroat Kitchen. I have a few keto bread recipes I plan to try so I can remake this because before I switched to keto, I had toad in a hole everyday for breakfast for like a month.

(Jessica Lucia) #6

That name reminds me of my grandmas “apples with crunchy top” apple crisp

(Tricia) #7

My mom used to call it “egg in a hat”. :smile:

(LeeAnn Brooks) #8

Dudes, that’s clearly a “one eyed Jack.”

(Maria W) #9

We call it toad in a hole in my house also!