KetoCancerMom's Look at Numbers

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #39

I sleep on my stomach.
And for getting the data, I just use the Libre View web interface. Most other nights I haven’t had any issues. I’ll post some graphs later. For those reading I average out the reasons for each 15-min interval.

(Bob M) #40

I see the difference, then, as I use the computer software.

To me, that interface seems to be overdoing things. For instance, you had lunch and your glucose went down and then up 10 points over the span of maybe 30 minutes? That doesn’t seem plausible. There are way too many excursions of 10 points. Of course, you can’t check with pinprick meters, as those have poor accuracy.

My blood sugar readings are waaaaaay higher than that, so assuming you want lower blood sugar readings, you’re doing something right.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #41

It shouldn’t make a difference if I use the web or the computer software to pull the data of the sensor. The data from the sensor is the same.

The day with the lunch, my glucose could have already been tending down. These are readings from every 15 minutes after all.

Also, I’m downloading the sensor data and charting it in Google sheets. That way I have more control over the range displayed. If I left it with a broad range, like how the Libre displays it, them it would look smoother.

I’ll post later with an example.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #42

Here’s an example, using the same data, just a different scale for the vertical axis:

Range: 50-85 mg/dL

Range: 0-350 mg/dL (this is what the software and web use)

Obviously the one with the larger range makes my glucose “appear” to be more stable!
The numbers are still the same, just the scale is different. Have you considered plotting your data yourself to better see what is going on?

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #43

Here’s the data from this week

(Bunny) #44

Was browsing your thread and looking at your glucose hikes and peaks and was wondering if you ever considered resistant starch or at least experiment with it short-term? If keeping glucose down is your goal?

Resistant starches are great for a ketogenic diet — they blunt your hunger response, and also blunt elevated blood glucose levels when carbohydrates are consumed. …” “…As these microbiota chow down on the resistant starches, they will produce short chain fatty acids as a by product of their meal. …” …More

And also check out this awesome chart on ketowomans thread:

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #45

Thanks for the chart! I did see that. I will say that keeping my GKI down is tough!
I didn’t read it full detail, but I did skim the article you linked. Overall, I think I do alright with my food, but haven’t played with resistant starches much at all. I’ve been pretty good at keeping my carbs under 20, and mostly get under 10 - mostly from cheese and veggies. I’ve chosen to not count the carbs in my heavy cream (1/2 cup) because I really feel I need the fat from it. I’d rather not have lots of butter in my tea. And I only do OMAD.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #46

Today my numbers have been low, and sadly my sensor stopped working.
About 1 1/2 hours before supper my glucose was 51 via sensor. At supper time it was 63 via finger stick. My next readings were 92 (and 94 to confirm) about 30 minutes later. Another 20 minutes later it shot up to 112. Now, the most carby thing I had was some tomatoes. I also wasn’t drinking my usual cream drink w/ supper, but had it about 30 minutes after.

I have noticed that my glucose tends to shoot up if I don’t have the cream and if its already really low.

Time BG BK Notes
5:34p 51 ISF scan, no BK
7:09p 63 3.8 before supper
7:42p 92 3.6
8:01p 112 2.7
8:21p 147 2.6 precision xtra read 183
8:40p 136 1.8 drank ACV
9:00p 145 2.3
9:30p 136 1.8 ISF 121

Anyone else experience this?

EDIT: I think I figured it out…my husband got me a Green Tea with non-Sugar Free syrup. He didn’t realize that the place has both SF and non-SF flavors that overlap. :frowning:

I’m not happy with how I feel, and the tea didn’t taste particularly sweet. He feels bad about what happened, but we are glad we figured it out. I don’t think this will have a negative effect on my A1C, especially with the fasting I do.

So, this is what it looks like when I have sugar (presuming the tea that was given to me had the non-SF flavor). For note, it did NOT taste sweet, there was nothing about it to suggest that it was fully of sugar!

And yes, I normally have 3 small peaks after meals. The huge jump must have been from the tea, because I don’t think the few tomatoes I had did that (it was maybe 5 cherry tomatoes).

Red line is from tonight.
EDIT: The drink had about 27g of sugar (carbs)! Yikes!!

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #47

Last night was interesting, as far as numbers go. I ate fairly high protein and fat, and then had some dessert. The dessert was a low carb cupcake, with some whipped cream and about 2 strawberries. My glucose was in my “high” range all night! Even after drinking some ACV. It was steady, but on the high side. I also didn’t wake up to drink water (I normall do).

I stayed under 100 glucose on average, and had several peaks, which is normal for me after any meal.

I’m not sure why it didn’t stay lower while sleeping. I wasn’t thrilled to wake up with a 93. Although that could have been related to not drinking much water during the night.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #48

Glucose had stop mostly been “high”. It’s still been under 110, but I’ve been trying to keep it under 100. I’m not sure if it’s the baked spaghetti, which is a keto recipe, or if it was the Keto cupcakes, or something else (like the changing weather).

Tomorrow I’m going back to eating chicken and some veggies. If that doesn’t solve it, then I think a short fast is in order.

Glucose has been at least staying in a similar pattern for these past 3 days, but something went odd tonight. Could have been the keto cupcakes I ate (3 minis) about 45 minutes after supper. But I didn’t expect it to have that much of an effect. I’ll just wait a few days and see if things normalize more.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #49

Today is definitely looking better, and I haven’t even eaten anything or had any MCT oil. I was well hydrated last night/yesterday.

Green line is today! Was it the amount of water? I dunno, but I’m liking it!

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #50

So, I had my next chemo today.
They have me 4mg of Dexamethasone.
About 6 hours late and after supper, my glucose peaked at 139ish. It’s gone up and down since. Ketones weren’t too bad, 1.7,.

Maybe I can skip it next time.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #51

Here’s a look at yesterday and today for glucose measures.
I can’t think of any reason that my glucose went so high at supper, except for the dexamethasone.
I ate out, but I had steak, and it didn’t seem to have anything on it that was sweet/sugary. Just plain meat, and a bit of margerine on my broccoli. I did have my MCT cream a bit after getting home… but I don’t think any of that should have made my numbers jump so much. My glucose was already trending up from the 81 at 2:15pm.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #52

Got my bloodwork done again:

Not sure what brought my triglycerides up…

(Failed) #53

Other than that though, your numbers look great, they keep improving. :tada:

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #54

Thanks. I’m not worried about the trigs… Just curious, mostly

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #55

This was tonight’s supper, and yes, I probably had the room, carb-wise for the potatoes. The potatoes were fried in butter, and had bacon bits and cheese added. They were yummy, and a rare treat (assuming I don’t have any major negative effects).

0min, CGM: 70 (BG 66)
30min later, CGM: 59
60min later, CGM: 68
90min later, CGM: 66
120min later, CGM: 75
180min later, CGM: 82
220min later, CGM: 67

(Susan) #56

Awesome, looking good, and the food looks delicious.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #57

I’m really not sure what is going on today…
Last night I had about 1/4 of a potato fried in butter w/ cheese and bacon bits, along with 1 cup of heavy cream (with MCT powder) and some salad, and 2 burger patties (with cheese and bacon). The last time I had the potatoes I didn’t have this extreme of a reaction. Also, since the peak was about 3 hours after eating, I doubt it had anything to do with the potatoes. Perhaps there was too much protein? I know that there are going to be people who say its impossible, but I’m only 5’ 2" and 115lbs (70 or so of which is lean mass). I also slept fairly well and didn’t wake up to drink any water (which is usually kept next to my bed). I’m almost convinced that not being hydrated overnight made my glucose higher. I also drank a green tea w/ sugar-free syrup and stevia, but I had been sipping that starting 2 hours before supper, so doubt that had any effect. I’m leaning more towards the large (for me) protein…the more I think about it.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #58

I’m starting to think that caffeine is not my friend. I’m going to skip the BPCs unless I can find some good decaf versions… And even then, I’ll save it as a treat. My glucose has been higher than average all day, so I’m not surprised at some of the numbers. According to WebMD.com one of the chemo agents I’m taking can cause high blood sugar. I guess that would explain numbers from yesterday and today. Its listed as a “common” side effect. So, I’m thinking next cycle I may fast instead of eating. I’ll need to find the best length of time to do that though… So, maybe the coffee isn’t actually to blame.