KetoCancerMom's Look at Numbers

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #1

So, I am trying to figure out what made some of my February numbers really good, as I want to duplicate it more. I was hoping that someone could look at my raw data (I ate all different sorts of things, so that would be harder to copy here) and give insight. I assume what we eat (sources of fat and protein, and carbs) have an impact on what the numbers end up as.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy with the numbers overall, but my goal is to keep my GKI as close to 1 as possible. I just can’t seem to make sense of what making the most impact and how. The L and D on Feb 15 are for lunch and dinner. Otherwise all meals are dinner (times are a bit varied, but generally 20-22 hours fasted).

How much fat is okay in one meal?
(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #2

Here are some readings from today: (BG, BK)
7:50a 85, 2.9
8:20a had 2tbsp flaxseed oil & 2 tbsp MCT oil
9:51a 73, 2.7
11:33a 67, 3.8
2:33p 74, 1.4

ETA:
3:30p 2tbsp MCT oil
9:00p 77, 2.1

(Empress of the Unexpected) #3

Hi Rebecca, as I recall you started MTC oil rather recently. Did it have a big effect on your ketone levels?

(Alec) #4

I am surprised nobody has reponded to your original post. I love your tracking. Very good.

My opinion is that there is not much to see in the data itself, but the fact that you are tracking so closely to me says that you are really focussed and committed to this, and it is that that makes it work so well. Your OMAD regime seems to be working beautifully: low BG, strong fat burning (marked by the ketones).

Well done, keep it up.

(Alec) #5

I note that your ketone measures were higher in first 2 weeks than 2nd 2 weeks. How long have you been doing this? Was Feb very different from previous months? Why was it different in terms of these measures?

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #6

I’ve been doing this (keto) for 8.5 months. In January I started going OMAD.

I think the MCT oil is helping. I’m not doing this for fat loss, but for cancer-fighting therapeutic reasons.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #7

Here are recent numbers for March:

I’m not sure why my numbers were so good in the first half of Feb. It’s hard getting my GKI around/under 1.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #8

I recall that. I am interested in your progress.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #9

So I had an additional 2tbsp of MCT oil at 3:30p
Haven’t tested yet, but I’m feeling pretty good - tires are a bit cold though, so hoping for low glucose and good ketones

(Alec) #10

If so, I recommend some autophagy inducing fasting. Have you read up on autophagy?

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #11

Some, yes.
However, I don’t have fat to spare, so any long fasts would be harder for me. I’m already just eating OMAD, so I’m doing about 22hrs of fasting between meals, if you don’t count the oils (MCT & flaxseed).

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #12

On March 28th I accidentally had some sweetened tea (that I sweetened further, with a 0 cal sweetener)

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #13

Last night’s macros:

Supper Time: 8:30pm
Carbs: 6g
Fat: 114g
Protein: 31g
Calories:1220

Today’s measurements:
9:45am BG: 88, BK 2.2, GKI 2.2
1:52pm BG: 77, BK 2.3, GKI 1.9
6:47pm BG 81, BK 2.3, GKI 2.1

Supper Time: 6:50pm - Fasting ~ 22 hours
Carbs: 3g
Fat: 181g
Protein: 41g
Calories: 1858

Wondering what tomorrow’s numbers will be like. Supper was at about 22 hours fasted. I didn’t want to eat really late again. I know my protein is a bit low, by maybe 10g. Someone suggested trying to lower my protein to see how it affects my BG/GKI. I’ve also read/heard that you shouldn’t have more than 30g of protein at a time…not possible to do though on OMAD.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #14

Today’s numbers (April 16th)
9:38a BG 90, BK 2.1, GKI 2.4
4:37p BG 74, BK 2.3, GKI 1.8
7:01p BG 69, BK 2.5, GKI 1.5

Supper @ 7:01p - Fasting ~ 24hrs
Fat: 191g
Protein: 52g
Carbs: 6g
Calories: 2007

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #15

It was suggested (when I got my DEXA/RMR) that I try for 70g of protein spread over two meals. I decided to give it a try to see what it would do to my numbers.
The numbers on the 22nd are actually taken on the 23, from when I was fasting and when I was given some dexamethasone (Decadron) during chemo pre-treatment. I still had a nice GKI, but I didn’t like what it did to my glucose (even though it upped my ketones as well).

My glucose isn’t looking too bad having two meals, but I’m not pleased with what is happening with my ketones. Anyone have any insight as to why? I’m thinking of either going back to OMAD or putting the two meals closer together. Mostly I just want another week or so of data, to really get an idea of what is happening (not sleeping well, warmer weather, baseball stuff).

*I should note that the BG readings are “off” a day because push them back to reflect the meal I last ate before taking the blood samples.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #16

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #17

DXA and RMR DEXA SCAN! SCIENCE
(Bob M) #18

I think you’ll “always” (is there anything that’s “always” true?) get a better ketone result if you only eat one meal. At least that’s my theory. I think it’s true because you’re letting blood sugar and insulin go lower before you eat, and any insulin/blood sugar result will be more pulsatile.

I honestly don’t think protein matters much for normal folk for ketones. For you, it might not either. If you look at some of your tables, you have GKI of say 1.5 with protein of 52, 72, 59, 61 grams. Seems like a wide range with the same GKI.

By the way, when are you taking this data? The same time each day? Do you eat relative to the measurement time at the same time? The problem with ketones (and blood sugar) I find is that both vary throughout the day, even while fasting. My blood sugar, for instance, is lowest at about midnight and highest about noon, no matter what I do. Ketones for me have an almost reverse relationship, lower in the morning and higher in the evening. (Makes sense from a physiological insulin resistance perspective, you’re insulin resistant in the morning, so blood sugar is higher and you’re running on ketones; physiologic insulin resistance drops during the day and therefore blood sugar drops, ketones rise.)

But the problem I find is that unless you eat OMAD at exactly the same time and measure at exactly the same time each day, these values can vary normally, and what you measure is a function of your body’s normal variance and has nothing (or little) to do with what you ate. Realistically, you’re eating basically similar cals, carbs, proteins, fats each day.

Check out this from my continuous glucose monitor, for instance. Note that ketones would be approximately the opposite of this (higher at night, lower in the morning):

So, the data analysis you’re trying to do is likely limited by (1) your body’s natural rhythms, (2) testing errors (our devices aren’t very accurate), and (3) testing/eating times.

This shows in your data. See March 24, 25. You get a GKI of 3.1 with protein of 68 and GKI of 2.9 with a much higher protein of 107. That doesn’t make too much sense, or at least means to me that protein isn’t a huge contributor to ketones. But your table is difficult to diagnose, as high fat does not necessarily correlate with higher ketones (which is my theory: protein has little to no effect on ketones, but fat has a much higher effect).

If this is in a spreadsheet, see if you can sort the columns. How well does fat correlate with BG, BK, GKI? What about protein? Carbs? Calories (I theorize higher calorie with higher fat = higher ketones)? If you find no good correlations, then just keep doing what you’re doing. If you do find a good correlation, test to see if it actually is a good correlation.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #19

The March 24-25 data is skewed because of the dexamethasone, so ignore it.

I’m eating at night, but the times vary. I test right before eating.

I’m working on the analysis of it.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #20

I’ll have to post June numbers…
Still, this was on another thread, but I wanted to copy it here (to my numbers thread)

So I had lunch with friends today, and my lunchtime readings were
BG: 96, BK: 0.6
Lunch macros:
Carbs: 6g, Fat: 107g, Protein: 59g

8 hours later, before supper my readings were
BG: 94, BK: 0.4 (not what I wanted.)
Supper macros:
Carbs: 5g, Fat: 162g, Protein: 43g

I’m hoping tomorrow at supper, with no lunch, my numbers will be better.

ETA: I need to figure out how to eat and still keep my glucose low. I can inflate ketones with MCT oil, but I need to drop glucose

So, around an hour after supper I had some whipped cream (with Swerve) and some blackberries, and also some MCT oil.
I’m happy to report that about an an hour and 20 minutes later my glucose was 81 and ketones were 2.4

I’m starting to think that the MCT oil will be needed a little more regularly.

The other topic with more data can be found here:
Blood Sugar Levels After Eating