KetoCancerMom's Look at Numbers

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #21

Obviously I had a huge amount of food yesterday… I was not happy with my numbers today. I didn’t have anything to eat today. I had a bit of supper and then tested my blood (less than 30 seconds later) so I’m going to assume a negligible impact on BG and BK.

I think things are of sure to the nearly 3100 calories I are yesterday.

I’ll keep an eye on my readings today, and see what they do. Some MCT oil might be in store.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #22

A little over 2 hours after eating BG was 108 and BK was 0.2 :expressionless::open_mouth:
I took some MCT oil because I want to drive up BK.

I’m thinking maybe no more keto pizza :confused: :cry:
I don’t think it was the cake/cupcake…

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #23

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #24

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #25

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #26

I haven’t updated in a while…
But here is an experiment I was running with having some green tea (its a mix of green tea and peppermint tea). I drank it cold, and it have very trace amounts of MCT oil in the cup.

Starting BG: 86, last BG: 73

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #27

So tonight I had a rather low fat supper…carbs were fairly low, although I’m not entirely sure how low, as the restaurant I was at didn’t have any nutrition info. I had some Mediterranean pasta with zucchini noodles and a white wine sauce with an appetizer of tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and mozzarella cheese. I estimated the carb count at 15, as I didn’t have anything to really work with. Glucose went up from 64 to a high of 103, about 90 minutes after supper.

After getting home, and feeling that I hadn’t had enough fat I had 1 cup of heavy cream w/ 2 scoops of MCT powder (sometimes I have 1 cup w/ 1 scoop). So, a little extra MCT this time. Glucose started at 84, went to 85 (within 10 minutes, so negligible) and then went down from there. Currently at 72 - about 1 hour later.

It looks like glucose started going down from the 90-minute post-meal high (and it didn’t stay “high” at above 100 very long). Interesting stuff.

(Bob M) #28

It’s great you can get this type of food at a restaurant, although that is a relatively high spike, most likely attributed to physiological insulin resistance. I would say the carb count is higher than 15, but it’s hard to tell.

Have you noticed any change with zucchini noodles? Both my wife and I have to eat these rarely, as they cause digestive issues for both of us. Spaghetti squash, on the other hand, seems to be OK.

I also wonder what the time period over which the blood sugar rises, whether that tells us something? For instance, the bottom graph here is Thanksgiving 2017:

You can see that this was very high carb, 9.7 = 174.6 (multiply by 18), but the duration was really short. The 9.7 was Thanksgiving dinner, and the hump right after that was dessert. Both of these are within about an hour.

When I was taking pin pricks, I often started an hour from when I stopped eating. Sometimes 30 minutes, but if you look at when they suggest you test, it’s about an hour. For instance:

A: Most of the food you consume will be digested and raises blood glucose in one to two hours. To capture the peak level of your blood glucose, it is best to test one to two hours after you start eating.

But using my CGM (the above data was from a European FreeStyle Libre), my blood sugar is basically back to normal in one hour.

To me, this was one of the great benefits of the CGM. Also, take a look at what happens when I eat real pizza:

I had pizza a few times when I had my CGM, and this was the curve each time. Yikes!

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #29

Its a small chain, fewer than 20 restaurants, so they don’t have all the detailed nutritional info that large chains do.

Here’s the description of the pasta:
Mediterranean Pasta

Sauteed Zucchini, Eggplant, Roma Tomatoes, Artichoke Hearts, Pine nuts, Garlic, Kalamata Olives, Feta & Parmesan Cheeses, Fresh Basil tossed with White Wine with zucchini noodles

emphasis mine. I skipped the egglpant and artichokes. I really didn’t have a good way to tell how many carbs were in it, unfortunately. Also, I’ve noticed that the lower my glucose is when I start eating, the higher it tends to go when I do eat.

Any thoughts on what happened with the cream?

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #30

Here’s some data from over a few different days.
The one day that had an outlier at dinner was the other night at a restaurant. My guess is that the larger spike was related to not having much fat in the meal, as all other meals had large amounts of fat.

Its certainly interesting to see that for those 4 days my glucose followed a pattern. :slight_smile:

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #31

Since I’m planning on fasting after supper tonight I decided I’d have some lunch.
Before lunch numbers:
ISF: 80
BG: 80
BK: 0.9
GKI: 4.93

Lunch was some ground beef and bacon and a little bit of cheese (and a tiny bit of low-carb catsup). I didn’t measure how much I was eating (I’m getting tired of doing that). It was probably about 1/2 of what I would eat at supper. I’m not sure what was going on with the dip after eating, although, it pretty close to being in range of acceptable margins. Glucose is currently around the “normal” for this time of day.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #32

Today my numbers have been higher than I’d like. I mean, they are still at the upper end of my normal range for this time of day, but if like to see them lower. I’m thinking of going back to OMAD. I’ve been playing with doing TMAD.
Maybe the 2 chocolate covered espresso beans are still affecting me, not because of the sugar, but the caffeine, which I normally don’t consume.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #33

Tonight’s supper produced interesting results:

T0: ISF 67, BG 67, BK 1.6
T30: ISF 64
T60: ISF 62, BG 67, BK 2.3
T120: ISF 71
T150: ISF 62
T170: ISF 59
T200: ISF 54, BG 59, BK 3.6

So it looks like my glucose stayed fairly stable, which I’m happy about. I’m pleased with the ketone increase.

(Failed) #34

I don’t entirely understand the ISF, but I’m happy for you about the stability of both that & the BGs. The ketone increase is WOW!

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #35

ISF is fluid surrounding the blood cells, so its not a direct measure, like how a finger stick is.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #36

This morning I have some rather puzzling numbers.
My glucose was rather low all night, and when my alarm went off this morning I checked it, and it was 77 (through the sensor). About 20 minutes later the sensor was reading 100 (and finger-stick was 86), and indicating its going up. Now, my glucose usually shoots up in the morning when I start to get moving, so I wasn’t worried.

I tested a few minutes after (about 3) and its saying 93 (on the scanner).
Ketones were down to 0.2.

Glucose was very low last night, so maybe so kind of rebound effect, before I really hit fasting? I’m 12 hours in now.

(Bob M) #37

What program do you use to get this data?

(Bob M) #38

Makes me wonder if you were laying on the sensor or otherwise cutting blood off to that area, then when you get blood going there, the sensor gets confused. I personally sleep a lot on my side, and I’ve always wondered what that does to readout at night. All my lowest values are at night.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #39

I sleep on my stomach.
And for getting the data, I just use the Libre View web interface. Most other nights I haven’t had any issues. I’ll post some graphs later. For those reading I average out the reasons for each 15-min interval.

(Bob M) #40

I see the difference, then, as I use the computer software.

To me, that interface seems to be overdoing things. For instance, you had lunch and your glucose went down and then up 10 points over the span of maybe 30 minutes? That doesn’t seem plausible. There are way too many excursions of 10 points. Of course, you can’t check with pinprick meters, as those have poor accuracy.

My blood sugar readings are waaaaaay higher than that, so assuming you want lower blood sugar readings, you’re doing something right.