How much fat is okay in one meal?

fat

Like if I want to eat one really big meal and two small am I okay to eat 170 g of mostly poly and monounsaturated fat in one meal (I am slightly underweight) Or will that kill me? The old adage is “fat clogs your arteries” so a huge amount of fat should kill you by that logic.

However from what I know about keto, and the body in general, this is false. But I wanted to run it by the fine folks on here to be certain.

(Ethan) #2

Mostly PUFAs? What kind of fat is that?

(Carl Keller) #3

Let me fix that for you:

The old incorrect adage is “fat clogs your arteries”.

The common advice in the forum is to eat when you are hungry and stop when you are not. We have certain built-in mechanisms that tell us when we’ve had enough and it’s best to listen to them. For me, when I start to have too much protein, I start feeling full. If I eat too much fat, I start to feel queasy. The trick is to stop before those feelings occur.

@CarlKeller

Okay thanks. So if the adage is false there should be no danger in eating 170 g of fat in one meal?

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #6

I routinely have meals that are at least 150-160g of fat, sometimes even 200g+!

In my case I’m eating only once a day, so I need to get it all in at once (or in a very small window).

This is a link to my post where I outline what my (for the most part) dinner macros were.

If it fills you up, no harm in eating 170+g of good fats :slight_smile:

(Ethan) #7

It depends on the source of the fat here… What is the fat source?

(Carl Keller) #8

Depends how it makes you feel. I know my limits for one meal is about 100-120 grams of fat. That will usually give me enough energy for the entire day. I won’t be hungry for close to 24 hours after that. If I ate 170 grams I would probably feel like throwing up.

Can you have too much fat?
(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

You need protein, as well as fat, because there are certain amino acids that are required in the human diet. Certain PUFA’s are also required, but not in great quantity. You should be eating mostly saturated and monounsaturated fats, or you will definitely feel ill. Eat 1.0 to 2.0 g/day per kg of lean body mass in protein, the rest of your calories as fat. You don’t need to count calories, simply eat to satiety and stop.

@PaulL

Thank you. I know that works for most but keto without counting calories is how I ended up underweight.

Most of my fat is monounsaturated and saturated, poly is the least. I’m drinking olive oil (doctor approved) to help keep calories high so I can gain weight. It is gross and unpleasant to say the least but I can’t do too much sat fat as I have high cholesterol when I do. I also have to keep my protein at 1g/kg bodyweight to avoid kidney stones. Lots of doctors orders lol! So olive oil is the calorie fill in alternative my doctor approved of.

Drinking it several times a day was making every meal miserable so I’m experimenting with doing it all for breakfast.

Other than that I do chicken breast, avocado, broccoli, eggs, cheese, fish, beef, brussels sprouts and other foods.

@KetoCancerMom

Thank you!

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #12

YW
I make a salad dressing with 2tbsp olive oil, 2tbsp MCT oil, 2tbsp apple cider vinegar…gives about 55g of fat