KetoAide: table salt vs Lite Salt

Oh, with regard to the KetoAid (Brenda’s recipe), has anyone ever used Lite Salt instead of straight salt to get some potassium in with the sodium? If so, did you use the same amount as the sodium (i.e., 1/8 tsp) or did you use more to get the same level of sodium? The Lite Salt container says table salt has 590 mg sodium per 1/4 tsp where as Lite Salt only has 290 mg sodium per 1/4 tsp. But it also has 350 mg Potasium and 60 mcg of Iodine. Thoughts?

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #2

I’ll tag @Brenda on this. She has reasons for not using Lite Salt in the recipe.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

It used to have lite salt in it but was revised because some people are hypersensitive to it, at least that’s how I remember it. :cowboy_hat_face:

Thanks y’all. Maybe I’ll PM Brenda when she’s not so busy with a conference. I’m using her current recipe today and the next two days of my fast.

Brenda posted this in the Zornfast section:

DISCLAIMER
I do not supplement potassium nor recommend it. If your sodium is on point, your potassium will be on point. The reason it is not recommended is this: it is too easy to over-supplement potassium and the effects can be life threatening. Potassium affects the heart, specifically the heart rhythm. There are certain people that can be unaware of a condition to which supplementing potassium can be dangerous.

The company I work with, IDM (Intensive Dietary Management, foremost on fasting in the world) does not recommend potassium supplementation for this reason. Matter of fact, we only recommend supplementing sodium and magnesium.

When I was in my first year or two of the ketogenic diet, I was very serious and enthusiastic about it. I am not sure why I started supplementing potassium. It may have been simply because I knew it was an important electrolyte, and having figured out how to hack supplementation by using Lite Salt, I made it an ingredient when I decided to develop an electrolyte drink for fasting. I know better now and have since removed it from the KetoAide recipe.
Be sure and do some research and look into the sodium/potassium relationship and you will see that supplementation is not necessary. If you are still certain you must supplement it, have your physician do some lab work to check your potassium levels. You are likely fine.

Have you ever wondered why potassium is not available in tablet form at your local drug store? And why you can only get potassium supplement tablets by prescription?
This is why.

Natural ways to obtain potassium would be avocado or red meat on your eating days.