Keto women over 50

(Edith) #362

Let’s just say, it’s like using wet wood to start a fire.

(Sharon S ) #364

Different topic…is there a better sweetners out there to bake with other than swerve? I don’t like the cool sensation it gives.

(Kristin) #365

I’ve heard allulose is good. Or bocha sweet (that’s the brand name).

(Blessed with butter ) #366

Ok heres goes. I started this august 11th I lost 25 pounds. I am feeling great. looking great and i have 4 people coming for breakfast once a month, and I have 3 family members that want to know everything about keto.

Friday I went out and drank and ate like I did not care. (I did skip the top half of the bun and had salad instead of french fries) Saturday I drank again and some what ate keto, Sunday I ate about a ton of pumpkin seeds, and all weekend I ate a ton of cabbage because I made 30 pounds of sauerkraut. Today November 5th I was up 6 pounds and am home sick with the worst sore throat ever. Ever since I did the 5 day fast I have been out of control hungry all the time, eating a ton. Feeling like i am failing.
anyone ever feel this way?

(Janelle) #367

Well, ladies - I got my first AARP solicitation today. :laughing: I turn 50 on the 29th. How did that happen? I’m super fortunate that no one else seems to realize it (even me). Hubby is taking me to Greece to celebrate.

(Janelle) #368

Is there anything you can do to get back on track and get back some control? Every day is a new day!

(Wendy) #369

I’ve never done a 5 day fast (or even a two day fast) so kudos to you on that! All you can do if you’ve eaten too many carbs is kind of start over. Eat a bit more fat, maybe one of those egg fasts would help kick start you. Try eating more avocados, bacon, those kind of foods and see if it helps and make sure your getting enough salt.

I’m also 53. I have no gallbladder so it has been hard for me but I’ve stuck with it and found fasting helps me. I first did a 10 day and felt amazing. I just finished a 3 day fast, my 3rd and I got my husband to join me. I do OMAD so that actually helps keep things easier. I have food allergies so it definitely simplifies my life. Persistence pays off.

(Janelle) #371

Maybe someday I’ll feel like fasting. For me, pychologically, skipping breakfast is even a little hard. This is week 7. Now everyone will tell me it gets easier later. The really long fasts seem like lunacy to me though. I seriously will never not be eating food for 15 or 30 days - and that’s just alright with me.

(Blessed with butter ) #372

The fasting part for me was easy but getting back into eating is hard. Over eating…ugg

(Empress of the Unexpected) #373

I just finished my first 18 hour fast and was doubled over with gas pains for the last three hours of it. This happens every time I skip a meal. I wasn’t hungry, just in pain. Anyone have any ideas?

Wow, never had that happen, but I do get very weird digestive issues when I fast. Have you had your gall bladder removed? That’s what affects me.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #375

Nope, Gallbladder intact.

(Deb Hawkins) #376

Hello, I am 62 years young and have had Rheumatoid Arthritis since childhood.
I started Keto in 2016 to cut out the inflammatory foods out of my diet and perhaps get off the drugs.
It has been a successful journey. I am now off narcotic pain meds and Humira injections,. I am feeling so good.
I am gaining strength and energy as well.
Oh yes and a nice side effect is I am losing weight too.
Thank you 2KetoDudes!

(Wendy) #377

That is so awesome! I hope you have continued success with this woe!
My husband suffers from RA and I so want him to try this.
I know I’m not suffering from my various aches and pains that I had before keto.

(Donna) #378

About fasting - I naturally stopped eating breakfast about 4 months into keto. You don’t have to IF. I think the key (and it’s really hard for me) is to listen to my body, not my emotions, or the clock or the people around me. I usually IF (for about 16 hours) 5 days a week, and on the weekends switch things up.

About carb overload - I have an ex-broken ankle (complete with plates, screws and arthritis). It tells me when I’ve eaten too many carbs. The pain I had every day for 10 years comes back, along with bloating and brain fog. I will overload on fat with very little protein and carbs the day following a carb overload. For 24 hours I’ll have coffee with HWC, eggs and avocado, cheese, fat bombs like crazy. It seems to help me deal with the cravings because I’m not denying myself from eating, I’m just eating different stuff.

I’m down 70 pounds from my highest recorded weight with at least 50 more to go. My blood sugar numbers are back in the low pre-diabetic range. At 55 I feel younger than I did at 35. For me, this way of eating works, even at this stage of life.

(Sharon S ) #379

Anyone have any suggestions for constipation. …not enough fiber for me apparently. …even with the salads.

(Jane) #380

I take the psyllium capsules since all the mixes you drink had too many carbs or stuff I didn’t want to ingest.

Or take some magnesium.

ETA: I take psyllium for the opposite problem of constipation. I am amazed that psyllium works at both ends of the spectrum. Warning: TMI. I’ve had soft loose stools ever since I went to Brazil and China. I think the food changed my gut biome and introduced new “bugs”. Never got sick but just exposed to different micro bacteria.

(Janelle) #381

Magnesium helps me. Too much MCT oil (which I don’t use often) will loosen me up in a hurry too.

If you listen to the podcast where @richard interviews Dr Paul Mason, his theory (backed up by some research) is that fibre may be counterproductive in trying to relieve constipation. Lower fibre is often the answer.