Keto without logging data?

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #1

When I started I was gonna log everything, daily weigh in, what and when I ate, meal macros, blood work, and weekly dates with a tape measurer, to actually see and visualize how my body changes. I made templates ss I could just fill in data and get outputs in form of graphs and visual orientation of the data. It didn’t take long before real life or laziness got the better of me and I stopped logging, or I didn’t just stop. I forgot. Or maybe procrastinated? And soon I had skipped multiple days. .

Then it hit me. Keto is not a project. There ain’t no cash bonuses. Keto is a change of life, a way of living. Who in their right mind datalog all the foods they eat for a lifetime? Why torture myself with various mundane tasks several times a week, then feeling down mhen the metrics don’t match the goals? Wouldn’t all that datalogging just add to the stress and make me wanna quit?

From now on I will focus on learning more about the keto life rather then obsess with data points, logging and presentation of results. I’ve dropped one pant size since I started and actually bought myself a new pair of jeans today, one size smaller then last time. That is all the data I need and it causes no stress, it feels like prize to shop for smaller size clothing.

From now on I will keep things simple and focus on dedication and the keto living.

(Deborah ) #2

I couldn’t agree more!!! :slight_smile:

(Charlotte) #3

For me logging caused a spiral of over analyzing, obsessive behaviors, and inevitably more stress. So i quit logging my food about 2 months ago and it was the best thing I ever did. I was no longer shackled to an app trying to eat to fill my macros and calories. I learned to listen to what my body wanted and when. I do pay attention to my carb intake but in the end… You can log all day long but your body will still do what it wants to do when it wants to do it and no amount of logging will make the process any faster or easier.

Logging works for a lot of people, and thats great… I’m just saying that I’m someone whom logging fails for. Finding your way through the maze is an individual journey and its great when people find the way through theirs. :slight_smile:

(Carl Keller) #4

It depends on if your inner scientist enjoys the data. If you don’t enjoy it, then don’t obsess with it. Learn the basics and if you have any doubt about what may or may not have a lot of carbs, look it up and learn.

I did for nine months, using chronometer.com but that’s because I’m a data nerd and probably not completely sane.:crazy_face: I quit doing it when it became repetitive and I wasn’t learning anything new about my relationship with food.

:+1:

(mole person) #5

I only log when I’m trying to sort out a stall that I don’t understand. It can really help a lot in that case. But many, many people here do “lazy” keto and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #6

Oh I am a nerd by trade too so I am all for stuff like this, or not really all in for the actual data recording and manual data input. That is mundane and repetitive tasks. I just love the output, sexy charts and what not. :smiley:

I figure I shouldn’t over complicate things. So I only consume stuff that keep me below 20 grams of carbs daily. I’ve found great way to add more fat into each meals by using oil, sour cream, or fatty crème fraiche and lets not forget, a good dose of butter. I also get fat in between meals via fatty coffee. To ensure I am in the zone so to speak.

I’ve too got the chrono app, I’ve even used it too. But my life is too complicated. Always stressed and always more stuff that should be done. So I am not fooling myself into getting stressed by the keto life just so I can enjoy great looking charts over my weight loss and my body composition and body fat level. This is not a diet. This is the new life. I can’t keep looking at charts and graphs forever. But I can enjoy a healthier body and a better lifestyle.

But nerd as I am the idea of logging it all, displaying the data in various clever ways got me really fired up and excited at first. Until I realized I’ve done enough data logging to last a few life times already.

As long as I must keep buying pants in smaller sizes I think I am on the right track. If that changes I might need to pay closer attention and actually obsess with the datalogging long enough to get a detailed overview of what I might need to change.

(Scott) #7

each belt loop are my data points.

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #8

I had an ex that used to say I was border line asperger when I got all caught up in nerd stuff, focused on every little detail. I used to giggle and tell her that it was a great compliment. So I easily get caught up in details and get laser focused. But I need to be more relaxed and not so, whats the word I am looking for, anal?

(Susan) #9

This is why I don’t log or write it all down; because I have a history of eating disorders; that stems back several years, and I don’t want to go down that rabbit hole again. I tend to become obsessed easily with things like that; and I don’t want to be thinking of it 24/7 basically.

I can see how it might be really convenient and even necessary for others to keep track and stay focussed though.

I do log everything and it really helps me. Every time I feel like I’m going nowhere I have some data to obsess over that demonstrates that something, however small, is happening. And it points out places where I might have been doing something else that got me better results than I’m currently getting. It also helps me stay focused and on track.

But some people can be totally successful on a keto diet without tracking anything. If you’re not interested in tracking, then I always think that’s the place to start. Though I would at least collect some baseline measurements, health markers, and weight. You’ll be glad you have them later, so you can see how far you’ve come!

I just decided this morning that I am going to try this too @idunno. I had some great advice from @David_Stilley a few weeks ago to read the ‘Keto is this easy’ post however I kept logging everything I ate (on my fitness pal) telling myself that I was only tracking carbs but I found myself, yesterday, not eating (more food/fat) after a meal even though I was still hungry because I am still terrified of going over my supposed macros. I even found myself logging what I wanted to eat and then juggling with it so I didn’t go over those macros. I realise how ridiculous I’m being! Sorry @David_Stilley, I tried to take your advice but all these years of low fat, CICO diets are deeply ingrained…:rage: So here goes (just going to record carbs only with paper and pen :slight_smile:)

(Jane) #12

Keeping a food log early on is helpful for those not used to counting carbs so they can “see” what a day of 20 carbs looks like. But I agree that once you have changed how you eat there is no reason to keep logging unless you have a long stall and may have “carb creep” going on.

I’m an old 70’s Atkins pro so I KNOW what 20 carbs looks like LOL.

My neighbor is having a dinner week after next and knows I am on low carb/keto and was discussing what she was cooking. She said “you can eat corn on the cob, right?” I just smiled and shook my head.

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #13

I just came from a “grilling with friends” evening. At least when people meet over a grill, eating fat and not carbs is easy. I didn’t even miss the cold beer that much. Old habits like grilling corn, tomatos or potatos didn’t cause any cravings or problems.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #14

I’m logging everything, but I’m not in this for weight loss.

I’ve been eating keto for a year, and logging for about 8 months. The first 4 months I didn’t log, I just focused on cutting bread, rice, potatoes, and pasta. I was pregnant at the time, so I didn’t worry about it - to much hormone stuff going on. When baby was about 4 months old I started logging because my goal is a low GKI. I’ve read that a low GKI is ideal when fighting cancer.

That is why I log everything. I need to, plain and simple.

Just keep in mind that not everyone here is doing this for weight loss. There are multiple health reasons to eat this way, and many of them involve targeting certain glucose or ketone levels.

(Keto life n' a little hippie ) #15

I totally understand, we have different goals and different ways to get there. Each one should do what they need to move forward.

This thread was more of a post of me doing what I tend to do too often. Obsess over the little things. As a working, living and breathing nerd I do care about data, and I do find various ways to present them in a visual interesting way and keep it exciting and manageable.

But for me, when I think it over the logging part was my brain acting on autopilot. Logging was not me trying to target things or sort out flaws. It was me obsessing over mundane details when I should focus more about the keto as a lifestyle and not a diet.

It is kind of hard to explain to others, because I just know my thinking and patterns. And me logging everything was about to turn the keto life into a task, a chore, a dirty job, something i should do, and something I would feel guilty about if I don’t. And that is not healthy and that is also kind of placing the keto life into the diet pattern. How quickly does this diet work? How much have I eaten? All my takes on diets have lead me nowhere. I’ve failed each and every one.

So me stopping the logging was more of a way for me to free my mind and make sure I focus long term. Keto life is not a sacrifice. It is not about taking a break from certain foods, giving up sugar, sweets and treats, french fries and burger buns. Keto life is about doing good things for myself. Making choices that actually benefits me. Not only here and now, but tomorrow and the next day.

I grabbed the wrong glass tonight at the BBQ. And rather then the carbonated water I drank, I suddenly felt the sweet taste of fizzy lemon beverage we all know on my lips. As the glass hit my mouth and I took the first swallow I thought to myself that this didn’t taste as good as I used to think. I had to take another swallow just to be sure. I’ve been drinking soda pops for decades, and I always loved them and craved them. Now, I just swapped back to the right glass, the one with water and told the person next to me I grabbed the wrong glass and got her a clean one.

While filling her glass and getting her ice I reflected over this, keto is turning me away from bad food. That is not a sacrifice. That is a blessing. I am not giving up or making sacrifices. I am gaining a better way of life.

I am not strong for not eating sweets and treats. I am smart not to fill up on crap. And I can still be a social person and attend social events without drinking soda pops, beer or having chocolate cake. Even when the cake looks delicious, and when that vanilla custard was poured over the moist cake. Yeah it looked good, but I was already full, the fatty cuts I layed on the grill, along with the sour cream got me satiated. I didn’t need the cake that the others had and so loudly enjoyed. I didn’t miss the cake or the soda pop. For a few seconds I could almost taste the cake and custard, but I didn’t get a craving. The lust for that cake&custard vanished within seconds.

I am not trying to set the standard for what others should do, of course everyone should do what they feels gives the most benefit. I guess the point of this thread was to get my head back on and having to think things over one more time.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #16

Not a problem.
I encourage you to do what works for you (tracking or not). It is a lifestyle change, and it sounds like you are doing well.

I still miss fries a little bit, and eventually I may stop tracking, but I haven’t gotten to the point of being able to sustain a low GKI for a long time. I was doing well for a while, and then something changed (could have been the MCT powder).

(JJ) #17

Sounds like you have found an approach that will work well for you and your lifestyle. Awesome!

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #18

I’m keeping it simple. I keep my carbs way down. Usually between 5 and 20 gm’s a day. I eat however much meat I want, and if I think I’m getting too much protein, I eat even more fat :wink: Bring on the cheese, heavy cream, butter, bacon grease, etc.

I totally understand @idunno, you have described me! I needed to log in order to get to know the macros of foods and I enjoy logging. I was obsessing over the macros though and ending up hungry. I enjoyed yesterday so much! I only logged anything with carbs in it and ate until I was full because I stopped worrying about how much fat, protein and calories I had eaten. And I weighed myself this morning and the scale has moved :blush: (this isn’t just because of yesterday but because I have been eating more over the past few weeks after advice from @David_Stilley :slight_smile:).

(Full Metal KETO AF) #20

@Gillybean YAY! I am so glad that’s working for you. :cowboy_hat_face: