Keto Without Coconut & Avocado

Hello, my sister and I tried the carnivore diet and it worked pretty well for us, but its too costly. So we are going to scale it back and go Keto instead. My question is what fats can you eat to get enough fats not to starve to death WITHOUT eating coconut anything or avocado? My sister is DEATHLY allergic to coconut and I really hate avocados.

(Allie) #2

Butter, lard, tallow, ghee, cream, cheese, there are loads of options.

Butter, cheeses, bacon, lard, fatty steaks, tallow, olive oil, heavy whipping cream.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

Plus: red palm oil, olive oil, cream cheese, Devon (double) cheese, sour cream

(Consensus is Politics) #5

Be careful of the oils. Do some research about hexane. Its used to extract oil from seeds, corn, even olives and avocado after the first pressing. Even coconut oil can be extracted using hexane.

Look for the virgin versions of them. That usually means its a first squeezing and pure oil. After the virgin press or extraction they resort to using hexane to pull out a lot more.

(Bunny) #6

…and soy beans are also processed with hexane; a byproduct of petroleum and then hydrogenated; what most food establishments use to cook with world-wide (“…In many countries, there are legal limits to trans fat content. …”) where you get your partially hydrogenated trans fats and then fully hydrogenated (interesterified fat) vegetable oils and sometimes animal fats.

Gawd, when I think about all this processing I can understand what is contributing to obesity.

I also understand that it is meant to mass extract a lot of substances, preserve the shelf life and the content of the fats but their has to be another way to do this? Lazy chemical engineering?

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/oxidized-fat/58255/4?u=atomicspacebunny

(Ethan) #7

Meat, fish, eggs, butter—that’s what I eat

Thanks for all the answers all! The point about eating out and what oils they use is a good point. I’ll be sure to ask and see in the future.

(Todd Batitis) #9

When I first started keto I was not an avocado fan but kept hearing about how great the were for keto and how they LOVE them with olive oil and a little salt. So I tried it when we were out to eat. It was a cross between “meh” and “I don’t think I like this”. I didn’t give up though because they were supposed to be such a good thing for keto eating. Bought a few and tried to eat them by themselves or folded in an omelette. No go and I figured “I am just gonna have to choke these down for health reasons.”

It was my wife who said, “You know, you might not like them plain but you might like them in guacamole, especially a spicy one.” She was absolutely right. On our next Costco trip we bought a box of the individual serving cups and they were great. I do 20:4 intermittent fasting and about 80% of the time that is what I use to break my fast each day when I get home. One of the guac cups and 1-2 servings of pork rinds. Might be worth a try if you haven’t already. :slight_smile:

I would also say that from a fats standpoint and avocado, you also may not have the same aversion to pure avocado oil (it does not taste like avocado to me) and avocado mayo that only uses avocado oil (some companies blend it but still just call it Avocado Mayo). I make a lot of chicken or tunafish salads and use it to mix all the stuff up in place of the much less desirable mayo that is typically made from soybean oil.

By definition, if you were eating a strict carnivore diet you would have been eating a ketogenic diet. Without the carbs your body was probably in ketosis a lot of the time depending on the timing of when you were eating. This is especially true if you were doing it in combination with intermittent fasting.

I can see where the carnivore could get expensive but this past week I have done a lot of meat as I am taking Dr. Naiman’s from my last visit and switching from my 5/20/75 keto I had been doing 5/35/60 to decrease my fat and increase my protein. I have been doing daily stops at the grocery store to see what is on markdown and found some great deals. It can also be pretty interesting to just flow with what comes your way that way. One day might be halibut that was $21 normal but it was on the weekly sale for $11 and then it is on markdown for 50% off of THAT so I end up with roughly 20 ounces of halibut for around $9. Other days it was pork, some days it might be beef. Even if you AREN’T doing carnivore it is a great way to get meat that is perfectly good for a FRACTION of the price. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info about the avocados. I was actually looking at possibly making them into some sort of spread or sauce to try that way.

As for the meat it does not matter what price it is, its too expensive. I’m on disability and only get $800 a month. And we get no food stamps, we do not qualify. :frowning: So I loved the carnivore diet. I felt great, I did not feel hungry and it fixed a lot of stuff, but we just cannot afford it. :frowning:

(Consensus is Politics) #11

Are you saying that the hexane process is making those fats trans fats?

Any oils extracted using hexane will have potentially hazardous levels of hexane left over in it. The good news (?) is that if it is used for cooking, the hexane is removed has its vapor point is around 200 degrees Fahrenheit.

Holidays are a good time to hit meat sales. If you have room in your freezer you could stock up. Just missed Memorial Day but the 4th is coming up.

(Bunny) #13

I’m guessing at the moment that’s just the for the extraction process and then hydrogenated (trans fats) after that in a whole separate process?

(Karim Wassef) #14

Eggs, egg yolks especially, extra virgin olive oil, mayo, cream cheese, goats milk cheese, macadamia nuts, butter, ghee, lard, tallow, goose liver patte, liverwurst, ham, bacon, ribeye, almonds, pecans, walnuts, cacao butter, lamb chops, duck breast with the skin

Now I’m hungry :yum: